• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on campus/school question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiddk1

hello all,
my question is the right to open carry on campus grounds. I know as a Cpl. holder I cannot, but I did not see anything regarding open carry. Please advise. thank you.

TheQ

hello all,
my question is the right to open carry on campus grounds. I know as a Cpl. holder I cannot, but I did not see anything regarding open carry. Please advise. thank you.

Google: MSP Legal Update 86

That may be a good place to start your research. Keep in mind that community colleges and public universities aren't preempted under MCL 123.1101/MCL 123.1102 (google that too).

...thus community colleges as well as public universities may have perfectly enforceable ordinances and/or student policies prohibiting the carrying of firearms.

kiddk1

He thinks that by paying money for, and taking a class to qualify to use a right, by getting photographed, fingerprinted, checked out, databased and profiled, he lost some rights.

He's partially right.

:lol:very well said, every day we lose more and more rights. Thank you for all the replies, i will do some more research.

OC4me

Kidd,

If you are going to be a student or a faculty member of the institution, then I think carry won't be an option for you. If you are neither of these two then maybe. It all depends on the school. Do you have a particular campus in mind? Let us know and maybe we could give you some more specific information.

Good luck!

kiddk1

Kidd,

If you are going to be a student or a faculty member of the institution, then I think carry won't be an option for you. If you are neither of these two then maybe. It all depends on the school. Do you have a particular campus in mind? Let us know and maybe we could give you some more specific information.

Good luck!

I am currently a student at tbe university of michigan dearborn

alphamale

it seems pretty obvious he is saying as a CPL holder he can not carry concealed. Since he prefaced his remarks as such, by separating open carry in his remarks. Seems to be more niggling going on here as usual.

"hello all,
my question is the right to open carry on campus grounds. I know as a Cpl. holder I cannot, but I did not see anything regarding open carry. Please advise. thank you."

alphamale

I agree and since he stated he was at a particular institution I am sure they are now aware of this thread, as many anti's watch these threads to make trouble. In the future one might not wish to post certain types of institutions like this in a thread unless it is a general question. I know a number of people who carry in PFZ's due to the more than obvious dangers connected with those properties. Never will I say or recommend skirting any laws, but there are people who value life more than public opinion, but sadly more each year our laws are just a reflection of pop culture opinions, and not of the Supreme law of this nation the Constitution. Why the cowardly N.R.A. has not spent legal monies on eliminating/fighting the "privileged class" exceptions on the CPL's and argue to have the "Constitutionally prohibited" establishment of privileged classes in this CPL mess ended, is beyond reason. It proves the NRA is not about rights, it is about power and money. This is why I stopped supporting them with my hard earned money, they have become a joke.

If you want to remain a student, I'd recommend you not carry on campus. But, the final decision is yours to make.

stainless1911

Banned
it seems pretty obvious he is saying as a CPL holder he can not carry concealed. Since he prefaced his remarks as such, by separating open carry in his remarks. Seems to be more niggling going on here as usual.

"hello all,
my question is the right to open carry on campus grounds. I know as a Cpl. holder I cannot, but I did not see anything regarding open carry. Please advise. thank you."

I daisagree, I think he was confused about the "open carry law" and the "open carry permit".

Raggs

it seems pretty obvious he is saying as a CPL holder he can not carry concealed. Since he prefaced his remarks as such, by separating open carry in his remarks. Seems to be more niggling going on here as usual. "

I agree it seemed obvious to me as well. Maybe some peoples common sense meters work better than others.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I agree it seemed obvious to me as well. Maybe some peoples common sense meters work better than others.
What may seem obvious to some, is not necessarily obvious to all. I'm certain Venator knew what the OP meant. I believe he was looking for clarification for the benefit of all. After all. the OP did not mention the word "concealed" in his first post. Some people might assume that he meant all forms of carry. It is only because he has a CPL that he can open carry in the concealed (as well as the open carry) PFZs. I believe Venator simply wanted to make that point clear. At least that part was obvious to me. :)

You would be surprised at the number of people I've met who think you can't OC with CPL. Either they don't think you can OC at all, or they think once you have a CPL, you've lost the right to OC.

Last edited:

Raggs

What may seem obvious to some, is not necessarily obvious to all. I'm certain Venator knew what the OP meant. I believe he was looking for clarification for the benefit of all. After all. the OP did not mention the word "concealed" in his first post. Some people might assume that he meant all forms of carry. It is only because he has a CPL that he can open carry in the concealed (as well as the open carry) PFZs. I believe Venator simply wanted to make that point clear. At least that part was obvious to me. :)

You would be surprised at the number of people I've met who think you can't OC with CPL. Either they don't think you can OC at all, or they think once you have a CPL, you've lost the right to OC.

Or also likely people are just very quick to nitpick peoples posts. nah, that never happens here.

Status
Not open for further replies.