• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on campus/school question

Status
Not open for further replies.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

hello all,
my question is the right to open carry on campus grounds. I know as a Cpl. holder I cannot, but I did not see anything regarding open carry. Please advise. thank you.

What do you mean as a CPL holder you can't??? Can't what?

I suspect that he meant that he can not concealed carry on school grounds.

I am currently a student at tbe university of michigan dearborn

If you want to remain a student, I'd recommend you not carry on campus. But, the final decision is yours to make.

You didn't anwser my question. Do you think you can not OC with a CPL? Because that is NOT TRUE.

it seems pretty obvious he is saying as a CPL holder he can not carry concealed. Since he prefaced his remarks as such, by separating open carry in his remarks. Seems to be more niggling going on here as usual.

"hello all,
my question is the right to open carry on campus grounds. I know as a Cpl. holder I cannot, but I did not see anything regarding open carry. Please advise. thank you."

I daisagree, I think he was confused about the "open carry law" and the "open carry permit".

Why cant I open carry if i have cpl?

Really?
You are student?
You dont seem to be able to follow your own thoughts.

Folks can OC on campus without a CPL!
Folks can CC or OC on campus with a CPL!

Students are usually prohibited from carrying weapons at their collage.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Okay lets break it down. The OP wrote this.

hello all,
my question is the right to open carry on campus grounds. I know as a Cpl. holder I cannot, but I did not see anything regarding open carry. Please advise. thank you.

He is asking about OC on campus. He states that as a CPL holder he cannot....Cannot what? OC? Then he adds I don't see anything about OC.

All in all a very confusing sentence. I just wanted to make sure the OP knew he can OC with a CPL. That is all. Done. Out.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Here's the thing, technically, you can OC, if you have a CPL but, as a student, you're most like prohibited from doing so. The university can do that. So, if you OC, and are caught, while you'd not likely face criminal charges, you'd probably be expelled for violating university policy.

FYI, there's no trouble in your asking. No need for you to apologize.

Last edited:

SpringerXDacp

hello all,

The policy is the same for Ann Arbor and Flint as well:

http://www.umd.umich.edu/317101/

Regent Ordinance Article X (Weapons)
Regent Amended Ordinance Article X (Weapons) applies to the possession of weapons on University properties..
Section 1. Scope of Article X. Article X applies to all property owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by the Regents of the University of Michigan and applies regardless of whether the individual has a concealed weapons permit or is otherwise authorized by law to possess, discharge or use any device referenced below.

Section 5. Violation Penalty.
A person who violates this Article X is guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction, punishable by imprisonment for not less than ten (10) days and no more than sixty (60) days, or by fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50.00) or both.

Acdrenik

Oakland University

I had a meeting with a Deputy on Oakland's Campus last week on this topic. Here is what the officer said:

As a Student:
Firearms are allowed on campus in the owners vehicle only.

As a Visitor:
"Open Carry is Open Carry."

On the back of your CPL it states no CC in a university classroom or dorm. Although it doesn't say anything about open carry, here is a section from the Oakland University Website, Chapter 7 Article 2:

"7.02 Weapons and Explosives. No person shall possess a pistol or any other firearm, dangerous weapon, weapon, explosive or incendiary device on the campus provided, however, that the occupants of single family residences in the Meadow Brook subdivision and non-student University residences may possess firearms as permitted by law. A weapon is any object designed to cause physical injury or any other object capable of causing physical injury or death. A dangerous weapon is any weapon designed to be dangerous and capable of causing death or serious bodily harm, or any other object capable of causing death or serious bodily harm that is used as a weapon. Items presumed to be dangerous weapons include, but are not limited to, daggers, dirks, stilettos, blackjacks, billies, metallic knuckles, bludgeons, ninja stars, and pocket knives opened by mechanical device. This section shall not be applicable to the authorized display of fireworks or cannon fire at events approved by the President or a designee."

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Okay lets break it down. The OP wrote this.

hello all,

He is asking about OC on campus. He states that as a CPL holder he cannot....Cannot what? OC? Then he adds I don't see anything about OC.

All in all a very confusing sentence. I just wanted to make sure the OP knew he can OC with a CPL. That is all. Done. Out.

I understood and agreed with the way you tried to elicit more information... which the OP seemed to just ignore. If the OP would have answered your question, the OP's original question could have been answered instead of playing this game of trying to deduce what the OP actually was asking.

kiddk1

I understood and agreed with the way you tried to elicit more information... which the OP seemed to just ignore. If the OP would have answered your question, the OP's original question could have been answered instead of playing this game of trying to deduce what the OP actually was asking.

Well sorry you thought it was a game and that i purposely ignored some questions, im kind of new to this and if I worded my questions wrong it was not intentional. Thanks to those who answered sincerely and without any insults. To recap so that certain people can understand my question, i am a student and wanted to know if oc was an option for me, i do have a cpl. It looks like my question was answered and I cannot oc according to the university, maybe i should have just called the university and asked them, i may not have been harassed as much. Thank you all.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Well sorry you thought it was a game and that i purposely ignored some questions, im kind of new to this and if I worded my questions wrong it was not intentional. Thanks to those who answered sincerely and without any insults. To recap so that certain people can understand my question, i am a student and wanted to know if oc was an option for me, i do have a cpl. It looks like my question was answered and I cannot oc according to the university, maybe i should have just called the university and asked them, i may not have been harassed as much. Thank you all.
Harassed? Believe me, this wasn't even close to harassment. Venator was simply seeking clarification. However, since I see where this is going, and I believe your question was answered. I'm going to close this thread before it goes too far. Oops, I think I'm too late. :)

Seriously though, do not take all the "negative" comments too seriously. Most are meant in a constructive way. If you take nothing else from this thread, take this, try to be more precise in your questions and answers. Think before you type, and especially before you hit that "Submit reply" button. I always review my responses, so I have a moment to decide if I really want to send the message I just typed. I can't tell you how many I've deleted after thinking about it. Probably saved myself a lot of headaches.

Ok, time to close this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.