Thread: carrying and football stadiums

carrying and football stadiums

Most if not all College Football stadiums in Alabama have a no weapons policy. In Auburn the city policy 'randomly' pat down individuals at Jordan Hare Stadium. Anyone know of a law that prohibits the carrying of a weapon in a college football stadium concealed with a concealed pistol permit? I am going to ask the officer in charge these very questions during the Arkansas game. I'd just like to be as informed as possible before I do. I cannot find anything in the code.

Thanks,

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    There isn't, although some would point to 13A-11-59. Good luck trying to prove a negative to someone who doesn't want to hear about it while dozens of rabid Alabama/Auburn fans line up behind you wanting to know what's the hold up.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

I guess the question begs then.. If I was patted down and they found a concealed pistol and I had a valid concealed pistol permit what would the city LEO do?

Demonstrations At Public Places?

Section 13A-11-59 Possession of Firearms By Persons Participating In, Attending, Etc., Demonstrations At Public Places
    [4] PUBLIC PLACE. Any place to which the general public has access and a right to resort for business, entertainment or other lawful purpose, but does not necessarily mean a place devoted solely to the uses of the public. [Public places is further defined as all public property check this law for further info.]
    (c) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer as defined in subsection (a) of this section, to have in his or her possession or about his or her person or in any vehicle at a point within 1,000 feet of a demonstration at a public place, any firearm after having first been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration was taking place at a public place and after having been ordered by such officer to remove himself or herself from the prescribed area until such time as he or she no longer was in possession of any firearm.

I do not think a football game/sports event is considered a 'demonstration'. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

IANAL, but I agree.

Further, 11-80-11 forbids any instrumentality from doing anything about guns, and that includes state agencies.
    Last edited by Kirbinator; 10-03-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnao View Post
    I do not think a football game/sports event is considered a 'demonstration'. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
    I told you some would point to -59. :P

No, a football game does not meet the definition of a "demonstration" in that statute. Realistically, if the gun was found during a pat down, you would likely be asked to leave. If you didn't leave when asked, you could be found guilty of trespass.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"