• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carrying and football stadiums

Arnao

Most if not all College Football stadiums in Alabama have a no weapons policy. In Auburn the city policy 'randomly' pat down individuals at Jordan Hare Stadium. Anyone know of a law that prohibits the carrying of a weapon in a college football stadium concealed with a concealed pistol permit? I am going to ask the officer in charge these very questions during the Arkansas game. I'd just like to be as informed as possible before I do. I cannot find anything in the code.

Thanks,

Brimstone Baritone

There isn't, although some would point to 13A-11-59. Good luck trying to prove a negative to someone who doesn't want to hear about it while dozens of rabid Alabama/Auburn fans line up behind you wanting to know what's the hold up. ;)

Arnao

I guess the question begs then.. If I was patted down and they found a concealed pistol and I had a valid concealed pistol permit what would the city LEO do?

Andrew Salinas

Demonstrations At Public Places?

Section 13A-11-59 Possession of Firearms By Persons Participating In, Attending, Etc., Demonstrations At Public Places
[4] PUBLIC PLACE. Any place to which the general public has access and a right to resort for business, entertainment or other lawful purpose, but does not necessarily mean a place devoted solely to the uses of the public. [Public places is further defined as all public property – check this law for further info.]
(c) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer as defined in subsection (a) of this section, to have in his or her possession or about his or her person or in any vehicle at a point within 1,000 feet of a demonstration at a public place, any firearm after having first been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration was taking place at a public place and after having been ordered by such officer to remove himself or herself from the prescribed area until such time as he or she no longer was in possession of any firearm.

Arnao

I do not think a football game/sports event is considered a 'demonstration'. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

Brimstone Baritone

I do not think a football game/sports event is considered a 'demonstration'. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

I told you some would point to -59. :p

No, a football game does not meet the definition of a "demonstration" in that statute. Realistically, if the gun was found during a pat down, you would likely be asked to leave. If you didn't leave when asked, you could be found guilty of trespass.