• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public Forums regarding OC coming to Norman. We need to attend.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
http://normantranscript.com/x585465207/Meetings-to-come-for-open-carry-law

NORMAN — City legal staff and Norman police officers have been meeting as a committee to discuss how to handle the open carry law that will go into effect Nov. 1.

The Open Carry Committee is looking to hold public forums for anyone who may have questions about the new law. Lt. Jim Keesee with the Norman Police Department said no forum has officially been set yet, but they hope to have one before November.

Thanks to forum member "docachna" for catching this article.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
My experience is that these things are sometimes used by police to propagandize attendees into believing the police have more power than they really do. Meaning, police carefully skirt 4th Amendment issues such as reasonable suspicion and just pretend they can come up to anybody and start asking questions and you're supposed to cooperate.

I've personally seen a cop during a townhall type meeting do a demonstration role-play where he pointedly ignored three times the citizen's refused consent to encounter where no RAS existed.

Attendees to these things should get well-versed on the case law regarding reasonable suspicion, consent, right to silence, and any identity statutes or ordinances. These are the areas where cops tend to count on citizen ignorance.

You really need to be able to call-out any false premises or sneakiness by the cops in front of the other attendees so the other attendees don't come away with a false impression given them by police.

Of course, if you do, then the police will also know you know the law. Its a sad commentary, but back shortly after the Tony's incident in Manassas, VA, the grapevine reported local police were told by their commanders to leave the OCers alone because the OCers knew the law better than the cops did. Now, this was in reference to firearms carry law; but it will definitely not hurt if you create the impression in the police that you know 4A case law on RAS, consent, right to silence, and stop-and-identify statutes or ordinances so well that you're dangerous to their careers and pocketbooks to mess with.

Last edited:

hrdware

My experience is that these things are sometimes used by police to propagandize attendees into believing the police have more power than they really do. Meaning, police carefully skirt 4th Amendment issues such as reasonable suspicion and just pretend they can come up to anybody and start asking questions and you're supposed to cooperate.

I've personally seen a cop during a townhall type meeting do a demonstration role-play where he pointedly ignored three times the citizen's refused consent to encounter where no RAS existed.

Attendees to these things should get well-versed on the case law regarding reasonable suspicion, consent, right to silence, and any identity statutes or ordinances. These are the areas where cops tend to count on citizen ignorance.

You really need to be able to call-out any false premises or sneakiness by the cops in front of the other attendees so the other attendees don't come away with a false impression given them by police.

Of course, if you do, then the police will also know you know the law. Its a sad commentary, but back shortly after the Tony's incident in Manassas, VA, the grapevine reported local police were told by their commanders to leave the OCers alone because the OCers knew the law better than the cops did. Now, this was in reference to firearms carry law; but it will definitely not hurt if you create the impression in the police that you know 4A case law on RAS, consent, right to silence, and stop-and-identify statutes or ordinances so well that you're dangerous to their careers and pocketbooks to mess with.

The problem is that current Oklahoma law will allow LEO to ask for your permit without any RAS of a crime. Although that is a 4A violation, until it is challenged in court, current law allows for it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The problem is that current Oklahoma law will allow LEO to ask for your permit without any RAS of a crime. Although that is a 4A violation, until it is challenged in court, current law allows for it.

Got it. Thanks for bringing me up to date.

So, fill in the rest of the picture as far as learning goes. So, the cop can ask for the permit?

Unless the statute makes express provision for temporary seizure for officer safety, I would argue strenuously against such seizure. SCOTUS case law allows search and temporary seizure of a weapon only with RAS during a foot encounter as far as I know. Terry v Ohio. Car stops are different. See PA v Mimms; in Mimms the court equated guns with dangerousness and permit seizure of the gun just because there is one present.

I would also be completely ready for any stretching of consent and badgering, or labels of being uncooperative for exercising 5A right to silence.

What is the recording law in OK? How about the federal circuit that covers OK?

You get my point. Look it over from a hundred angles and be ready to show greater knowledge than the cops at the townhall meeting.

I don't expect you to do this next, but I would. I would laugh in their faces if they gave me any idea they were going to check permits just for the sake of checking a permit without other RAS. It may be legal, but I would show them to be anti-rights thugs who just want to harass OCers if they plan on stopping OCers just to check the permit. Bwhahahahahahahaha! Big tough cops got nothing better to do than harass law-abiding citizens on the off-chance of catching one without a permit! Bwahahahahahahaha!! That sort of thing. If they didn't give me the idea, I would ask. And, then I would make it clear that I would be recording any encounter and every single mistake made by the cop would become the subject of a formal written complaint for internal affairs. Remember, this is new ground for cops and they're not terribly likely to have run into the organized determination other PD's have.

Of course, another OCer can play the good cop routine while I play the bad, threatening cop. Another OCer can say he wants to be friends and make things go smooth and so forth.

Oh, and be ready for the great police lie. "We don't want these to be adversarial encounters." HA! He's lying. He absolutely wants it to be an adversarial encounter. He's going to be investigating you for the crime of OCing without a permit. That is definitely an adversarial encounter. What he wants if for you to not be adversarial while he is being adversarial.

Last edited:

hrdware

Got it. Thanks for bringing me up to date.

So, fill in the rest of the picture as far as learning goes. So, the cop can ask for the permit?

Unless the statute makes express provision for temporary seizure for officer safety, I would argue strenuously against such seizure. SCOTUS case law allows search and temporary seizure of a weapon only with RAS during a foot encounter as far as I know. Terry v Ohio. Car stops are different. See PA v Mimms; in Mimms the court equated guns with dangerousness and permit seizure of the gun just because there is one present.

I would also be completely ready for any stretching of consent and badgering, or labels of being uncooperative for exercising 5A right to silence.

What is the recording law in OK? How about the federal circuit that covers OK?

You get my point. Look it over from a hundred angles and be ready to show greater knowledge than the cops at the townhall meeting.

I don't expect you to do this next, but I would. I would laugh in their faces if they gave me any idea they were going to check permits just for the sake of checking a permit without other RAS. It may be legal, but I would show them to be anti-rights thugs who just want to harass OCers if they plan on stopping OCers just to check the permit. Bwhahahahahahahaha! Big tough cops got nothing better to do than harass law-abiding citizens on the off-chance of catching one without a permit! Bwahahahahahahaha!! That sort of thing. If they didn't give me the idea, I would ask. And, then I would make it clear that I would be recording any encounter and every single mistake made by the cop would become the subject of a formal written complaint for internal affairs. Remember, this is new ground for cops and they're not terribly likely to have run into the organized determination other PD's have.

Of course, another OCer can play the good cop routine while I play the bad, threatening cop. Another OCer can say he wants to be friends and make things go smooth and so forth.

Oh, and be ready for the great police lie. "We don't want these to be adversarial encounters." HA! He's lying. He absolutely wants it to be an adversarial encounter. He's going to be investigating you for the crime of OCing without a permit. That is definitely an adversarial encounter. What he wants if for you to not be adversarial while he is being adversarial.

The statute actually expressly prohibits the seizure of the firearm or detainment of the open carrier after the permit has been presented.

[quote="Title 21 Section 1290.8 Paragraph B]The person shall display the handgun
license on demand of a law enforcement officer; provided, however,
that in the absence of reasonable and articulable suspicion of other
criminal activity, an individual carrying an unconcealed handgun
shall not be disarmed or physically restrained unless the individual
fails to display a valid handgun license in response to that demand.[/quote]

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The statute actually expressly prohibits the seizure of the firearm or detainment of the open carrier after the permit has been presented.

You know what. You've convinced me. There is nothing else to learn or do in preparation. Y'all got it covered. The only thing left is to just attend.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
We are also fortunate in that Oklahoma is a one-party state when it comes to recording conversations.

Okla. Stat. tit. 13, § 176.4: Anyone who is a party to a wire, oral or electronic communication or who has obtained consent from a party can lawfully record or disclose the contents of that communication, so long as he does not do so in furtherance of a criminal act.

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. Okla Stat. tit. 13, § 176.2.

docachna

Are you still convinced of that, in light of the presentation by the City Attorney to his assocation (I think he was from Warr Acres) ?? He seems to have very, very strong reservations about whether a stop SOLELY based on OC'ing is constitutional.

After reading his paper, I would also seriously consider asking Norman, and any other similar municipality, for any internal memoranda dealing with the subject, particularly covering advice they've given to their PD on the subject. If they don't have it or won't turn it over, make them tell you what advice they've given the PD. How are the citizens supposed to know what conduct is proscribed until we know what standards the gov't is using ??? In this case, it's not at all clear, and I don't think it's overreaching to ask them "what's your position" ???

Brandon9mm

The city attorney made it very clear that he would tread very lightly around the issue of asking for permits without probable cause. Just going to have to wait on a test case.

hermannr

Just to let you know what can happen. The city of Anacodes had an open session on weapons with the Anacodes CoP (a moderate Dem) and the Skagit co Sheriff (an elitist..ie, or "only people I approve of, and LE should be able to carry" fortunately for us, he knows the polictical reality of WA law)

Anyway, a couple members of the WA OCDO forum caught this session was on, and attended. When it became obvious the OCDO members knew RCW 9.41 (our firearms law) better than either the Sheriff and the Anacodes CoP, when the questions came to OC, the answers were defered to the OCDO members.

Later in the session it was determined by the OCDO memebers this was actually a Democratic party sponsered discussion...their observation was, some wanted to listen to what the law actually stated...and some just up and left. You will probably meet the same responses.

docachna

Meeting set with Norman City officials and police

http://normantranscript.com/x585465207/Meetings-to-come-for-open-carry-law

NORMAN — City legal staff and Norman police officers have been meeting as a committee to discuss how to handle the open carry law that will go into effect Nov. 1.

The Open Carry Committee is looking to hold public forums for anyone who may have questions about the new law. Lt. Jim Keesee with the Norman Police Department said no forum has officially been set yet, but they hope to have one before November.....

Guess they've been set:

The police plan a forum at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 29 in City Council Chambers, 201 W. Gray Street. They want the public to know what they can expect from their police department in response to the new legislation.

http://normantranscript.com/opinion/x674149498/Police-businesses-preparefor-open-carry-in-state

The tenor of this article is a bit different than the first one quoting Lt. Keesee:

Law enforcement officials say they can ask a person openly carrying a firearm to see their license but that person does not have to comply. Only if there is another reason to confront the person does the gun owner have to comply and show their license.

Interesting that no one with NPD is quoted here. I sure hope somebody shows up the 29th and asks NPD if this is their position. Problem is, of course - how does the OC'er know which is the case ? Ask them ??

mlr

"The police plan a forum at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 29 in City Council Chambers, 201 W. Gray Street. They want the public to know what they can expect from their police department in response to the new legislation."

They are not allowing much time to correct any errors in their new policy if by chance there are any pointed out at the meeting.

Michael