Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Don't Talk to Police - ever for any reason...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alexander City, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    13

    Don't Talk to Police - ever for any reason...

    An law school professor and former criminal defense attorney tells you why you should never agree to be interviewed by the police.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Great video. Its been around a while, but it never hurts to repost so recent members can see it.

    For any interested, you can access the court opinions mentioned in the video here:

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ources-Here!!&
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Not wasting my time here.
    Posts
    31
    That is a good video, I have posed it elsewhere before, lots of good tips there!

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    And yet people STILL want to talk to the cops to "teach" them ...

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urban Skeet City, Alabama
    Posts
    897
    Biggest problem we've had in AL is people asking LEOs for opinions on OC. That's why I wrote the post that's been stickied.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    Biggest problem we've had in AL is people asking LEOs for opinions on OC. That's why I wrote the post that's been stickied.
    Aren't Mr. Inquisitive lol

    Keep the Faith!

  7. #7
    Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leeds, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    786
    Yeah, someone asked the Parks and Recreations board in Northport if it was legal to OC at an upcoming fall festive. Their answer was to go to the city council and try to get an ordinance passed to make it illegal. No good can come from asking permission to exercise a right.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

  8. #8
    Newbie Deacon Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    123
    Seeking permission to exercise rights only engenders a false equation with privilege; this is evident by the reactions we've seen. Northport is a prime example. One individual asks two people if it's okay to OC to an event, and the immediate response is an effort to ban OC on city property - an act blatantly in violation of preemption.

    We should never allow the thought to enter any official's mind that we need someone to sign off on our God-given rights!

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Not wasting my time here.
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon blues View Post
    we should never allow the thought to enter any official's mind that we need someone to sign off on our god-given rights!
    amen!!!

  10. #10
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Problem is, it is overly simplistic, real life isn't quite as simple as Duane makes it seem.

    If your defense is alibi or something that is good advice, if you get involved in a DGU in which you shoot someone those rules fly straight out the window.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  11. #11
    Regular Member Vitaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Problem is, it is overly simplistic, real life isn't quite as simple as Duane makes it seem.

    If your defense is alibi or something that is good advice, if you get involved in a DGU in which you shoot someone those rules fly straight out the window.
    Defensive Gun Use, since I had to google it,

    "I was in fear for my life, I shot to stop the threat. I would like to go see a physician and talk to my lawyer." this covers use in your home or out in town. This may change for Alabama I am not as conversant with your laws as Washington state.

  12. #12
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    Defensive Gun Use, since I had to google it,

    "I was in fear for my life, I shot to stop the threat. I would like to go see a physician and talk to my lawyer." this covers use in your home or out in town. This may change for Alabama I am not as conversant with your laws as Washington state.
    Well I'm of the school of thought that if you know of exonerating evidence it's best to point that out right away.

    in a previous thread I used an example of you shoot someone at a street corner after they charge you with a knife on an icy night.

    knife slides into an alley and maybe one witness saw the shooting go down but was afraid to get involved.
    police are dispatched to the scene, they have one guy holding a pistol and another laying on the ground in a pool of blood. guy with gun says nothing except "I want my lawyer" by the time you speak to your lawyer you're now a suspect in a manslaughter investigation and the knife is gone and witness had a stroke.

    whereas if the knife and witness are pointed out, the police have some believable evidence you acted in self defense.

    Mas Ayoob, and the armed citizens legal defense network advocate this formula in the aftermath of a defensive gun use.

    1)This man attacked me, I want him prosecuted
    2) I will sign the complaint
    3) Evidence is........
    4) potential witnesses......
    5) Officer, you know how serious this is, you'll have my full cooperation in 24 hours after i've spoken with counsel.
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 10-08-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Well I'm of the school of thought that if you know of exonerating evidence it's best to point that out right away.

    in a previous thread I used an example of you shoot someone at a street corner after they charge you with a knife on an icy night.

    knife slides into an alley and maybe one witness saw the shooting go down but was afraid to get involved.
    police are dispatched to the scene, they have one guy holding a pistol and another laying on the ground in a pool of blood. guy with gun says nothing except "I want my lawyer" by the time you speak to your lawyer you're not a suspect in a manslaughter investigation and the knife is gone and witness had a stroke.

    whereas if the knife and witness are pointed out, the police have some believable evidence you acted in self defense.

    Mas Ayoob, and the armed citizens legal defense network advocate this formula in the aftermath of a defensive gun use.

    1)This man attacked me, I want him prosecuted
    2) I will sign the complaint
    3) Evidence is........
    4) potential witnesses......
    5) Officer, you know how serious this is, you'll have my full cooperation in 24 hours after i've spoken with counsel.
    "Not" or "now"?

  14. #14
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    "Not" or "now"?
    NOW thanks for the correction, I'll edit that right away
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  15. #15
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Well I'm of the school of thought that if you know of exonerating evidence it's best to point that out right away.

    in a previous thread I used an example of you shoot someone at a street corner after they charge you with a knife on an icy night.

    knife slides into an alley and maybe one witness saw the shooting go down but was afraid to get involved.
    police are dispatched to the scene, they have one guy holding a pistol and another laying on the ground in a pool of blood. guy with gun says nothing except "I want my lawyer" by the time you speak to your lawyer you're now a suspect in a manslaughter investigation and the knife is gone and witness had a stroke.

    whereas if the knife and witness are pointed out, the police have some believable evidence you acted in self defense.

    Mas Ayoob, and the armed citizens legal defense network advocate this formula in the aftermath of a defensive gun use.

    1)This man attacked me, I want him prosecuted
    2) I will sign the complaint
    3) Evidence is........
    4) potential witnesses......
    5) Officer, you know how serious this is, you'll have my full cooperation in 24 hours after i've spoken with counsel.
    Let's suppose you point them in the direction of where you think the knife is, and all they find is a ball point pen? You claim someone attacked you? So what? That can be used against you, especially if they find a pen where you claimed there was a knife. Even if there is a knife you could have planted it, and then pointed the officers in the right direction to find it. The potential witnesses you point out could be friends of the deceased, just what do you think they are going to say? It is the police job to search a crime scene, if they don't it will reflect on them in the court room. Had Z invoked his right to counsel, and was then arrested, he would not be in the mess he is today.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  16. #16
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Let's suppose you point them in the direction of where you think the knife is, and all they find is a ball point pen? You claim someone attacked you? So what? That can be used against you, especially if they find a pen where you claimed there was a knife. Even if there is a knife you could have planted it, and then pointed the officers in the right direction to find it. The potential witnesses you point out could be friends of the deceased, just what do you think they are going to say? It is the police job to search a crime scene, if they don't it will reflect on them in the court room. Had Z invoked his right to counsel, and was then arrested, he would not be in the mess he is today.
    Yes he would, the police and DA both declined to arrest, charge and prosecute. Z's prosecution is based on a political witch hunt following national media coverage.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  17. #17
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Yes he would, the police and DA both declined to arrest, charge and prosecute. Z's prosecution is based on a political witch hunt following national media coverage.
    If he had been arrested and taken before a judge with a good lawyer, before the theatrics, I have little doubt the case would have been dismissed. It would have been far better that the case went to court in the early stages before it got blown out of proportion. They did Z no favors by declining to arrest him in the initial investigation.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-08-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  18. #18
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    If he had been arrested and taken before a judge with a good lawyer, before the theatrics, I have little doubt the case would have been dismissed. It would have been far better that the case went to court in the early stages before it got blown out of proportion. They did Z no favors by declining to arrest him in the initial investigation.
    There are no guarantees once it goes to court. Remember, Z talked about everything with no lawyer present, the police were skeptical of his claims and yet they could find no reason to suspect him of a crime. no evidence existed that would have convicted him. even if charges had been dismissed by a court it wouldn't matter, the state AG can always pop in and file charges. I doubt they would have been dismissed with prejudice.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  19. #19
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    There are no guarantees once it goes to court. Remember, Z talked about everything with no lawyer present, the police were skeptical of his claims and yet they could find no reason to suspect him of a crime. no evidence existed that would have convicted him. even if charges had been dismissed by a court it wouldn't matter, the state AG can always pop in and file charges. I doubt they would have been dismissed with prejudice.
    And look where Zimmerman is NOW!
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  20. #20
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    And look where Zimmerman is NOW!
    You're right! He is getting screwed!

    But it would've happened regardless. yes he has diarhea of the mouth and talked to the cops too much.

    But giving them the silence treatment wouldn't hurt or help him now, because this prosecution is politically motivated, it has to due with Florida bowing to public pressure, The Pope and Dalai Lama can come down and proclaim Z innocent and the state would still press to put him away. this is a trial for the press, not justice.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  21. #21
    Regular Member Vitaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    593
    and if he ends up being acquitted, he will likely get hung for lying to the police, the less you say the better if you are going to end up in our "Justice" system. Let your lawyer do the talking.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Troy, AL
    Posts
    70
    I think somone who appears to be from seatle should keep their mouth shut about how they think things work in AL.

  23. #23
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by ALOC1911 View Post
    I think somone who appears to be from seatle should keep their mouth shut about how they think things work in AL.
    Is what we're discussing a legal issue that only applies in certain states?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Don't Talk to Police - ever for any reason...

    This discussion seems to be broader in nature than just regarding AL law. I may not agree wholly with the opinions of the gentleman from Seattle, however I welcome his rational input.

    That is not to say there have never been out-of-State interlopers who had no place saying the things they do. This just ain't such a case. The discussion is not State-specific and EMN is being quite civil.

    Sorry for the interruption. Carry on!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Troy, AL
    Posts
    70
    Eye and EMN, actually this is somewhat state specific related. As soon as I get the time to find the law I'll post it and show you why. Some of what EMN is saying, in some certain ways, does not really apply in AL due to certain laws we have that may differ in other states.

    Oh and btw this is the AL forum so if the discussion is "broader" in nature than things related to AL, there are other fourms here for that aren't there.
    Last edited by ALOC1911; 10-09-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •