• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Village Mall in Auburn AL Confrontation..

Andrew Salinas

I have oc/cc for about 20 years now and a couple of weeks ago I had my S&W SD40 on my hip with my family in Auburn for dinner. They wanted to make a stop by the mall so I didn't bother to unload... upon entering the mall we made the usual bathroom breaks and saw a mall security guard there. I was sure he noticed me but I didn't acknowledge or speak to him. We made our way around to a couple of stores and upon exiting one of them three of those mall cops approached me and whispered, " are you a law enforcement officer?" I replied, "No a pastor, are you guys looking for a good church to go too?" I guess this response took them off guard. they looked at each other and said that the mall had a no gun policy and it was private property. I then asked if I should leave? They asked me how much longer we thought we might be in the mall, I replied about 30 minutes. He replied that next time I visit the mall I might want to leave my "weapon" home or in the car. I simply acknowledged and turned and walled away.. Not really wanting a confrontation, should I have handled differently? What do you think?

MKEgal

One thing you did NOT do that's good is saying anything about them posting signs. :)
Never make the suggestion.
Andrew Salinas said:
three of those mall cops approached me and whispered, "are you a law enforcement officer?"
1) Why, do you need help?
2) No, I'm a citizen.
3) Why are you whispering? Are you up to no good?

next time I visit the mall I might want to leave my "weapon" home or in the car.
So they supposedly have a "no legal guns" policy, except for LEO, yet they allowed you to go on shopping?
And they only made a suggestion that you become vulnerable & rely on them for protection?
Harumph.
Unless they can show you, on company letterhead, the "no legal guns" policy that applies to customers (not from the employee handbook), I'd say they were just opinion enforcers.
"Are you promising to protect me & my family to the same level I am now, while we're here shopping & back to our car? No?"
Contact management. Get a copy of the policy.
If it's really that they don't want LACs around, inform management that you & your family & friends will respect their wishes that you not spend your money there.
Then follow up by posting here & on www.friendorfoe.us