• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC rules begin next Saturday

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Notice
This post is another CHILDRENS story that only some will understand and much is written in the white space between the lines.

It's that time of year again! The season of the witch when empty words take on a magic aura and can change reality.

Politicians that chant meaningless verbiage all year, suddenly become leaders or mere citizens...based on the strength of their words.

Organizations whose strength is in numbers, suddenly have more followers, or fewer, based on the strength of their words.

During this time an odd set of laws take effect. A large segment of society lose the ability to carry firearms except on Sunday.
It's based on this incantation:
"There was NO way to carry a gun at all for self-defense while hunting and we fixed that "

MamabearCali

Ok...I am game....what are you talking about? I don't hunt yet, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Please educate.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ok...I am game....what are you talking about? I don't hunt yet, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Please educate.

My annual rant but this year I'm a little more PO'ed than normal.

During bow and muzzle loading season, you cannot carry a handgun for self defense unless you have a CHP.

A strange thing about that for some of us is that we can carry a handgun concealed if we want because we hunt on our own farms which is our own place of employment...but come October 6th, that changes until ML season goes out in November.

This goes a lot deeper but that is the reality for those of us that spend 12 months out of the year, shooting muzzle loaders and bows along with our conventional firearms. We will have a bow or a muzzle loader with us every day except Sunday until the season goes out.

Is this an OC issue? Damn Skippy it is. OC doesn't stop at the Burb line.

Last edited:

Marco

[h=3]Valid Concealed Handgun Permit Holders May:[/h]
  • Possess a concealed handgun during archery seasons, muzzleloader seasons, and general firearms seasons.
  • Possess a concealed handgun on National Forest and Department lands during the closed season.
  • Possess and transport a loaded concealed handgun in or on any vehicle on National Forest and Department lands.
  • Possess a concealed handgun while using dogs for tracking wounded or dead bear or deer but no game may be taken.

It's not like folks without CHP's don't need their handguns to defend themselves.

Apparently some consider CHP holder's in higher esteem.
I'm allowed to carry in the Piggley Wiggley year round but can't be trusted to carry or not to kill game with my personal defense sidearm during Bow/ML season... go figure.

It would appear that some believe the right to personal defense only pertains to some folks during cetain times of the year.

627PCFan

Since I became a VA resident I thought this loophole was unfair. That being said I dont bow hunt, but during muzzeloader, my self-defense tool becomes a 50 caliber fire breathing dragon ;) and Im NEVER undergunned :D

That being said what you got for us?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Since I became a VA resident I thought this loophole was unfair. That being said I dont bow hunt, but during muzzeloader, my self-defense tool becomes a 50 caliber fire breathing dragon ;) and Im NEVER undergunned :D

Until you find yourself in a situation that can't be remedied in a single shot....

Roscoe

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

That being said what you got for us?

Or your primer gets wet or a mainspring breaks or a cap fragment plugs the hole or a million other things. Stopping an animal at close range is not the same as killing one at longer range.

There are poachers to deal with and if you get hurt and have to signal for help, te prescribed way is in 3 shot bursts. Remember, cell phones don't work everywhere including my farm.

I haven't got anything for you other than those are the facts. How we deal with it is up to the individual.

TFred

Friend of mine specifically got a CHP, just because he was planning to go bear hunting with a muzzle loader. You don't want to be in a situation where your one muzzle loaded shot just made the bear angry at you, and you've got nothing else to shoot.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Friend of mine specifically got a CHP, just because he was planning to go bear hunting with a muzzle loader. You don't want to be in a situation where your one muzzle loaded shot just made the bear angry at you, and you've got nothing else to shoot.

TFred

I hope he took the hunter safety course instead of a CHP class. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Thundar

P4P Muzzleloader Style

Notice
This post is another CHILDRENS story that only some will understand and much is written in the white space between the lines.

It's that time of year again! The season of the witch when empty words take on a magic aura and can change reality.

Politicians that chant meaningless verbiage all year, suddenly become leaders or mere citizens...based on the strength of their words.

Organizations whose strength is in numbers, suddenly have more followers, or fewer, based on the strength of their words.

During this time an odd set of laws take effect. A large segment of society lose the ability to carry firearms except on Sunday.
It's based on this incantation:
"There was NO way to carry a gun at all for self-defense while hunting and we fixed that "
Come on Peter. We all know that this is another P4P scheme with unintended consequences.

627PCFan

"Until you find yourself in a situation that can't be remedied in a single shot...."

Dangerous game hunting in VA? :D

I guess Bear hunting counts, maybe but they arent that big

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

You are kidding me?

bear-4.jpg

This track belongs to one of my bears that is somewhere around 600 pounds.

big-bear1crop.jpg

DSCNsmall.jpg

bear4800.jpg

Last edited:

Marco

"Until you find yourself in a situation that can't be remedied in a single shot...."

Dangerous game hunting in VA? :D

How about poachers, pot growers, moon shiners, meth fields/heads and other down right criminal element that seeks shelter in the woods.
Let us not forget rabid creatures.

A Virginia man is recovering after being bitten by a black bear while hunting in the Jefferson National Forest in Botetourt County.
http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=9585893

An attack by a rabid bear was ended by an Albemarle County farm worker’s point-blank shotgun blast
http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2...im-ar-1855598/

Sixty-year-old Thurman Hensley was hunting on the last day of the muzzle-loader bear season when he spotted a bear and then shot it. That's when his troubles began.
As he went up to the 600-pound black bear to check it, it jumped up and mauled him.
http://attack.igorilla.com/node/289

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stori...ttacks-va.-man
Hawthorne was riding his lawn mower outside his home when a coyote ran out of the woods and attacked him.

I personally use a Traditions O/U 50cal. ML

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
How about poachers, pot growers, moon shiners, meth fields/heads and other down right criminal element that seeks shelter in the woods.
Let us not forget rabid creatures.

A Virginia man is recovering after being bitten by a black bear while hunting in the Jefferson National Forest in Botetourt County.
http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=9585893

An attack by a rabid bear was ended by an Albemarle County farm worker’s point-blank shotgun blast
http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2...im-ar-1855598/

Sixty-year-old Thurman Hensley was hunting on the last day of the muzzle-loader bear season when he spotted a bear and then shot it. That's when his troubles began.
As he went up to the 600-pound black bear to check it, it jumped up and mauled him.
http://attack.igorilla.com/node/289

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stori...ttacks-va.-man
Hawthorne was riding his lawn mower outside his home when a coyote ran out of the woods and attacked him.

I personally use a Traditions O/U 50cal. ML

Yep, toss in a Coydog or two
coyote1800.jpg

And more poachers
busted.jpg

busted-2.jpg

And we een have Democrats
liz.jpg

acfreddie

Thanks for this posting, with us being newbies it has brought fourth the issue to us. I hope that it does get resolved with common sense but we all know how common sense works in government.

MamabearCali

So let me get this straight. I have a CHL, but lets say I did not. From now to the middle of november, because some people are hunting, I would not be permitted to OC? Do I have this right?