• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC rules begin next Saturday

MamabearCali

cause hunting is never dangerous. You know, I would love it if the politicians would read the second amendment about not abridging the bearing of arms. We could stop a whole bunch of nonsense by just doing that.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
cause hunting is never dangerous. You know, I would love it if the politicians would read the second amendment about not abridging the bearing of arms. We could stop a whole bunch of nonsense by just doing that.

I'd be happy if just some people that claim to be pro gun for everyone, would read it.

papa bear

since my son is wanting to start hunting in VA now. we have discussed this.

PETER, can you cite the law that says you can't OC? i have looked and it seems to talk about CCing.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
since my son is wanting to start hunting in VA now. we have discussed this.

PETER, can you cite the law that says you can't OC? i have looked and it seems to talk about CCing.

It's illegal cc or oc while bow and ml hunting to have a firearm unless you have a chp. Yeah, the lay says concealed. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

Legal Methods and Restrictions During Archery Deer Seasons

Special restrictions may apply during this season. See Legal Use of Firearms and Archery Equipment and Local Firearms Ordinances for details.

• Archery tackle (including crossbows) only.
  • Broadhead widths must be at least 7/8- inch wide or expand upon impact to 7/8-inch.
  • Bows must be capable of propelling a broadhead arrow at least 125 yards.
  • It is unlawful to use explosive head arrows or arrows to which any drug, chemical, or toxic substance has been added.
  • It is unlawful to use dogs, except that dogs may be used to track wounded or dead deer (see Hunting with Dogs)
  • It is unlawful to have a firearm in possession except that a muzzleloading firearm, as defined in the muzzleloader deer seasons section, may also be in possession when and where there is an overlap with a muzzleloading deer season where deer hunting with a rifle or muzzleloading firearm is permitted (see exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders).

Valid Concealed Handgun Permit Holders May:

• Possess a concealed handgun during archery seasons, muzzleloader seasons, and general firearms seasons.
  • Possess a concealed handgun on National Forest and Department lands during the closed season.
  • Possess and transport a loaded concealed handgun in or on any vehicle on National Forest and Department lands.
  • Possess a concealed handgun while using dogs for tracking wounded or dead bear or deer but no game may be taken.

Last edited:

Brian D.

Yeah you guys have a nit to pick there, but still in the greater scheme of things it's gun frickin' friendly Virginia. Try a couple months sentence...uh stay in NOhio (not a typo) to better appreciate all you guys got.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yeah you guys have a nit to pick there, but still in the greater scheme of things it's gun frickin' friendly Virginia. Try a couple months sentence...uh stay in NOhio (not a typo) to better appreciate all you guys got.

It is good Brian, but except for the ease of carrying concealed, it used to be better.
As to your invitation, thanks but no thanks. Here I was born and here I will die!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There is work to be done here and it does not just involve hunters.

I believe full state preemption to include state agencies would necessary to correct this.

nuc65

Activist Member
If it's got four feet, a black body and a white stripe down it's back and stinks.....It's probably a skunk!:rolleyes:

Try explaining that to my dog, no matter how many times he finds one he still thinks they're cats up until they put the stink on him.

I think the law also doesn't apply to LEOs. Both items stink, I would like to hunt via archery or crossbow ($.02) but haven't found a wild hog yet.

Last edited:

scouser

Peter, so if I'm understanding you correctly, you are not allowed to carry a firearm on your own land or your place of employment if you are hunting unless you have a CHP?

Who exactly is going to enforce this on YOUR land if you tell them to stay off of it? Not that I'm suggesting ignoring the rule at all because I know you wouldn't dream of doing that, I'm just trying to understand if what I'm thinking it means is actually what it means.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter, so if I'm understanding you correctly, you are not allowed to carry a firearm on your own land or your place of employment if you are hunting unless you have a CHP?

Who exactly is going to enforce this on YOUR land if you tell them to stay off of it? Not that I'm suggesting ignoring the rule at all because I know you wouldn't dream of doing that, I'm just trying to understand if what I'm thinking it means is actually what it means.

Well.....Scouser, forum rules prohibit me saying where I draw the line and ignore laws that are unfair, but generally, I try to obey hunting laws. Game Wardens (Conversation Police) do have the authority to go on private land without papers or probable suspicion to look for game violations. They don't go out in the woods much because they look a little like deer I'm told, but they usually catch people going out and coming back from hunting.

To answer your question...there is zero chance I'd get caught, but still it is an enforceable law. I've endured countless posts from North of the Ni'ers over the difference between that and driving within a thousand feet of a school without the almighty permit. The difference is simple. Driving past a school with a gun is NOT enforceable in Virginia. It's like driving without a seatbealt. It's a secondary offense. It isn't illegal until you do break a primary law also.

It's also a PRIME EXAMPLE of P4P and shouldn't be overlooked for that reason.

Tanner

Well.....Scouser, forum rules prohibit me saying where I draw the line and ignore laws that are unfair, but generally, I try to obey hunting laws. Game Wardens (Conversation Police) do have the authority to go on private land without papers or probable suspicion to look for game violations. They don't go out in the woods much because they look a little like deer I'm told, but they usually catch people going out and coming back from hunting.

To answer your question...there is zero chance I'd get caught, but still it is an enforceable law. I've endured countless posts from North of the Ni'ers over the difference between that and driving within a thousand feet of a school without the almighty permit. The difference is simple. Driving past a school with a gun is NOT enforceable in Virginia. It's like driving without a seatbealt. It's a secondary offense. It isn't illegal until you do break a primary law also.

It's also a PRIME EXAMPLE of P4P and shouldn't be overlooked for that reason.

This puts alot of my questions out the window. I drive past schools all the time and wonder weather or not there could be a issue with my OC. I knew about the 1000 foot CHP rule (bs) and its kinda obvious its stupid. If they have to have it then it should only apply if you are going onto the school grounds. The ROAD is not school grounds! Care to give the cite? Or some kind of example?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This puts alot of my questions out the window. I drive past schools all the time and wonder weather or not there could be a issue with my OC. I knew about the 1000 foot CHP rule (bs) and its kinda obvious its stupid. If they have to have it then it should only apply if you are going onto the school grounds. The ROAD is not school grounds! Care to give the cite? Or some kind of example?

Gun Free School Zone Act of 1996.
http://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones_Act.pdf

Tanner

Interesting your link says it must be in a locked container, where VA law says

"(vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle;"

To clarify the links says this

"(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack
which t h a t is on a motor vehicle;"

To further clarify these quotes are listed exceptions for having a firearm on school grounds. And no these are not the only exceptions. (just incase someone less informed reads this post)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Interesting your link says it must be in a locked container, where VA law says

"(vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle;"

To clarify the links says this

"(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack
which t h a t is on a motor vehicle;"

To further clarify these quotes are listed exceptions for having a firearm on school grounds. And no these are not the only exceptions. (just incase someone less informed reads this post)

Most of that law has been kicked out of the courts, then put back in slightly different format. It has never been used as a primary charge that I'm aware of. Further, since Va doesn't require a license to OC, the law is not enforceable. They can't require what doesn't exist.

I've been through this argument too many times with too many little Mary's to have any patience with it at all.

Esanders2008

OK I'm confused.. what are the laws regarding carrying within 1000 ft of schools? I OC on my walks and I pass right by a school :uhoh: I always cross the street when I get to the crosswalk (which is right in front of the school). I just don't want to get in trouble in case a LEO sees me. They tend to set speed traps across the street from the school.

Tanner

OK I'm confused.. what are the laws regarding carrying within 1000 ft of schools? I OC on my walks and I pass right by a school :uhoh: I always cross the street when I get to the crosswalk (which is right in front of the school). I just don't want to get in trouble in case a LEO sees me. They tend to set speed traps across the street from the school.

Ill try to answer. I am still foggy on this myself. My guess is walking past the school could get you into trouble because of the 1000 foot rule. I think the exception only applys if you are in your car have a CHP and are in fact CCing and you may not get out of your car.

The idea of being pulled over for OCing in your car WITHIN 1000 feet is not valid. From what I am understanding from other posts is that it is a secondary charge and can only become a charge if you are breaking some other law such as speeding, driving on wrong side of road, ect.

Your question about walking may be a different story. If you are in fact within 1000 feet of the school while walking and OCing my guess is your flirting with disaster. Carry a recorder at all times. Maby do some research to make sure you are legal egal. If someone wants to chime in on weather or not I am getting this right or not that would be great.