• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal rifle transfer

Tucker6900

Hey all. Quick question for my brother.

He lives in Michigan and wants to sell his AR to a friend in Michigan. I cant remember off the top of my head what paperwork is needed to complete the transaction legally. If anyone can advise, it would be a great help. Thanks.

TheQ

He lives in Michigan and wants to sell his AR to a friend in Michigan. I cant remember off the top of my head what paperwork is needed to complete the transaction legally. If anyone can advise, it would be a great help. Thanks.

Is the rifle under 30" overall length once the stock is completely folded or collapsed?

alphamale

Assuming it fits the legal description as a rifle then no paperwork needed. 16 inch barrel, 30 inch length as Q said.

If less than that it should be registered as an NFA or pistol, I would assume.

SpringerXDacp

(dang this website is getting slow)

Anyway .. hold on there partner !

Seller makes a record of the transaction ... seller keeps it .. forever. Carry on.

Keep the faith !

Why? A rifle or shotgun that doesn't meet the definition of a pistol (currently 30 inches in length or less) requires no paperwork for the transaction (non-FFL).

Andrew Salinas

In Alabama possession is the law.. If its in my hands its mine. For good conscience if you like you could write him a bill of sale. I think thats all that would be necessary.