• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just purchased my first Glock.

EMNofSeattle

it's true, purely american products aren't really made anymore.

According to a retired portland detective on another forum, Portland Police Bureau had a long established policy of buying only "american vehichles" in fleet orders. well like everyone who was anyone they bought many Ford Crown Vics for police work, but the fleet orders of the crown vic were made in St. Thomas, Canada. whereas most hondas and toyotas are built in the United States....

Glock 19s are a good gun, I love them, never fired a 23. but I've been shooting a 17 for years in competition, abused the hell out of that gun, still keeps firing, and it shoots underwater! LOL

EMNofSeattle

[video=youtube;UsyY5ecNs4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsyY5ecNs4k[/video]

Skip to 1:33 for glock kaboom.

I meet about 80% of this criteria....

My name is EMNofSeattle, and I'm a glock fanboy

skyisfalling

Pretty funny BMG.
But, I'll stick with my Glock.

Hey, why weren't ya' at the NW OC dinner at the Farm House.
Just right down the road from ya.

Don't just hide behind your avatar, get out and meet the people who carry arms not of your liking.

P.S. I was carrying a Ruger SR 40 today. Pretty for the street. Pretty crummy for duty.

Women are for beauty, Guns are for duty.

bmg50cal

Pretty funny BMG.
But, I'll stick with my Glock.

Hey, why weren't ya' at the NW OC dinner at the Farm House.
Just right down the road from ya.

Don't just hide behind your avatar, get out and meet the people who carry arms not of your liking.

P.S. I was carrying a Ruger SR 40 today. Pretty for the street. Pretty crummy for duty.

Women are for beauty, Guns are for duty.

I'll stick with my full size M&P357; the serrations are a lot better for wiping than with a Glock. :cool:

I'm not hiding; I'm a little over 2000 miles away at the moment, I would have been at the meetup otherwise. Next time hopefully.

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."
~ Winston Churchill

amlevin

it's true, purely american products aren't really made anymore.

According to a retired portland detective on another forum, Portland Police Bureau had a long established policy of buying only "american vehichles" in fleet orders. well like everyone who was anyone they bought many Ford Crown Vics for police work, but the fleet orders of the crown vic were made in St. Thomas, Canada. whereas most hondas and toyotas are built in the United States....

Glock 19s are a good gun, I love them, never fired a 23. but I've been shooting a 17 for years in competition, abused the hell out of that gun, still keeps firing, and it shoots underwater! LOL

Just about everything you say about the glocks being reliable can also be said about Sig's, CZ's, HK's, and most other well made firearms. For that matter what you just said above also pertains to Hi-Points.

Nascar24Glock

Welcome to the Glock family.
You have baby Glock. Now ya' need momma and papa Glock.

Check into the Kel-Tec Sub 2000.
Great companion carbine for the Glock line.

Nah, he's got the teenager Glock (Glock 23). The Glock 27 (what I've got) is the baby Glock; the Glock 22 is the papa Glock, and the Glock 35 is the "scary 6'3", 250 pound cousin" Glock. lol :lol:

badkarma

Most striker fired weapons are more reliable that non-striker fired weapons. It just happens that all Glocks are striker fired. Less moving parts. This does leave out revolvers which was been argued to be the most reliable but you still have an exposed moving part(hammer) that could always be stoped.

WOD

I partially blew up my G21 3rd Gen, but still bought another G 21 4th Gen! I also own a CZ now too, Even when my Glock failed, it still shot the round in the pipe. Once I get the Gen 3 fixed I'll still use it, and shoot it like any other gun I own. If I can find an older Colt 1911 without all the added safety crap on it, for a reasonable price I'll buy one/three/ten of those too.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... If I can find an older Colt 1911 without all the added safety crap on it, for a reasonable price I'll buy one/three/ten of those too.

There are modern brands that still use the Series 70 style action in a 1911, Ruger being one of them. Off the shelf, the Ruger's trigger pull is better than a Colt or Kimber. I carry a Kimber that I bought a year before Ruger announced their 1911. Dammit.

amlevin

This does leave out revolvers which was been argued to be the most reliable but you still have an exposed moving part(hammer) that could always be stoped.

Unless it's shrouded so one can use it as a pocket gun. Can one fire up to 6 shots from a glock while it's still in a jacket pocket? Not likely.

Every once in a while, someone has to travel through "Enemy Territory" and it's nice to have your hand on a concealed firearm in your jacket pocket. Even better if you can fire it without removing it. For some reason the ejected brass tends to jam the auto's. Point goes to the revolver. I's really tough on the wardrobe though;)

Last edited:

badkarma

Unless it's shrouded so one can use it as a pocket gun. Can one fire up to 6 shots from a glock while it's still in a jacket pocket? Not likely.

Every once in a while, someone has to travel through "Enemy Territory" and it's nice to have your hand on a concealed firearm in your jacket pocket. Even better if you can fire it without removing it. For some reason the ejected brass tends to jam the auto's. Point goes to the revolver. I's really tough on the wardrobe though;)

Very true, but the damage around the cylinder is pretty well documented.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/664580_.html
[video=youtube;Wu3RO3Lr4fM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu3RO3Lr4fM[/video]
I still say that the less mechanisms, external moving parts, and safety results in better reliability. So far, Glock and Kahr(there might be a few more), in my experience, are the most reliable for me. If you can caryy and shoot a blunder bus faster than I can a Glock then that works for you.

ScottE

Hey all, this is my first post even though I've been lurking here for a few months.

I went to down LESA and applied for CPL.

It's hasn't arrived yet but I figured I'd go pick out a handgun for when it arrives, plus I can open carry!

I went down to Surplus Ammo and Arms in Lakewook and picked out a Gen 4 Glock 23.

I'm very excited and can't wait to start OCing!

Why are you excited to OC?

Stopped back in at Surplus Ammo and Arms to pick up a Blackhawk Serpa holster. Still no word back on my Glock. I hate waiting. ):

Sent from my iPhone.

I would return that holster immediately. There are issue with the retention lever. In some cases if something small, like a rock or whatever gets caught behind the retention lever, you won't be able to draw your gun and could be killed in a real situation. Also under high stress situations, it is very possible to improperly push on the retention lever with the tip of your finger and your finger slipping into the trigger gaurd and causing a negligent discharge. Lastly, under plastic paddles aren't very strong and during a gun grab can break right off your waist. Also the screws that attach the holster to the paddle or belt piece have been known to pull right through during gun grabs. It's an extremely popular holster, and looks cool, but very dangerous if you ever find yourself in a gun fight.

Btw - nice gun, I have the exact same one.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Why are you excited to OC?

I would return that holster immediately. There are issue with the retention lever. In some cases if something small, like a rock or whatever gets caught behind the retention lever, you won't be able to draw your gun and could be killed in a real situation. Also under high stress situations, it is very possible to improperly push on the retention lever with the tip of your finger and your finger slipping into the trigger gaurd and causing a negligent discharge. Lastly, under plastic paddles aren't very strong and during a gun grab can break right off your waist. Also the screws that attach the holster to the paddle or belt piece have been known to pull right through during gun grabs. It's an extremely popular holster, and looks cool, but very dangerous if you ever find yourself in a gun fight.

Btw - nice gun, I have the exact same one.

Welcome to OCDO, I would suggest to eliminate the trollish posts like this one. The subject of SERPA holsters has been rehashed a hundred times. Find something more creative to suggest.

ScottE

Welcome to OCDO, I would suggest to eliminate the trollish posts like this one. The subject of SERPA holsters has been rehashed a hundred times. Find something more creative to suggest.

Pointing out the dangers of this holster to a new person is a trollish post? I WISH someone would have told me this before I wasted money on a Serpa.

Why do I get the feeling you use a Serpa as well...

Last edited:

Vitaeus

Putting your finger on the trigger of your firearm before you are ready to pull said trigger is entirely and operator error. I would agree a Serpa CQC is not a good choice for someone hunting or climbing, but for everyday OC, I find it perfectly acceptable. You are entitled to your opinion, but blaming your tool for your error is not usually a good plan.