• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone ever done a VISA merchant complaint?

EMNofSeattle

So I popped into a popeyes restaurant this afternoon to get some lunch, and I come to the counter and make my order. After I complete my order I present my VISA card for payment. She asks me for ID, and I pat my pockets and realize I don't have my drivers license, now I don't generally make too big an issue out of this, but I'm hungry and only got 15 minutes to get my food and go back to class. so I explain I don't have my license on me, and she says "I can't take this without ID" so I reply "this is a signed VISA card and I am the current authorized carholder, your VISA merchant operating regulations state you cannot make supplemental ID a requirement to take the card" and she says "I can't take it without ID" So I told her she would be having no business from me in the future, I just filed a complaint to popeye corporate and am mulling sending something to VISA as well, has anyone ever actually complained to visa and do they do anything about it?

WalkingWolf

I have had lost card, I show ID without being asked. And my card is signed CID. LOL my name is on the card, address is on record with the card, the only thing CID does is protect the card holder. I can understand others not feeling the same way as I do. Visa does not condone asking for ID unless it is on the card. Business is not the government, I object highly to the government for asking for my ID. But I also think business should enjoy liberty too.

Tawnos

I have had lost card, I show ID without being asked. And my card is signed CID. LOL my name is on the card, address is on record with the card, the only thing CID does is protect the card holder. I can understand others not feeling the same way as I do. Visa does not condone asking for ID unless it is on the card. Business is not the government, I object highly to the government for asking for my ID. But I also think business should enjoy liberty too.

"CID" doesn't protect the cardholder at all, as the Visa and Mastercard policies forbid demanding ID (as the OP explained). In fact, a merchant who sees "CID" is supposed to make you sign on the spot. Or, if there's no room left, to take your card from you as invalidated. You're not signing on the back as a security measure. They have you sign on the back to show that you agree to all terms and conditions of the card.

WalkingWolf

"CID" doesn't protect the cardholder at all, as the Visa and Mastercard policies forbid demanding ID (as the OP explained). In fact, a merchant who sees "CID" is supposed to make you sign on the spot. Or, if there's no room left, to take your card from you as invalidated. You're not signing on the back as a security measure. They have you sign on the back to show that you agree to all terms and conditions of the card.

Citation please? BTW See ID, or CID is a signature so you might want to be specific that signing with a distinctive mark by the card holder invalidates the card.

Last edited:

Jack House

Citation please? BTW See ID, or CID is a signature so you might want to be specific that signing with a distinctive mark by the card holder invalidates the card.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/sign-or-write-see-ID-1282.php

The card companies remind customers that the signature panel isn't just for verifying the signature. It's also used to validate the contract you have with the credit card company. By signing, you confirm that you agree to their terms. And even though you may choose not to sign the card but use it anyway, you still are bound to the terms and agreements set forth by the issuer.

Chris Monteiro, spokesman for MasterCard, says, "Technically, a MasterCard is not valid unless signed by the authorized cardholder. If a person has not signed his card, the merchant technically should not complete the transaction." The merchant can only complete the transaction on an unsigned card if the cardholder signs the card in front of the employee and then produces valid identification proving their identity, Monteiro says

Visa's policy is nearly identical to MasterCard's. Visa covers this topic in its "Rules for Merchants" handbook. There is a section entitled "See ID," which says: "See ID or Check for ID is not a valid substitute for a signature. The customer must sign the card, in your presence." And if the customer refuses? "A refusal to sign means the card is still invalid and cannot be accepted." The handbook then reminds merchants that if they ignore this mandate and accept an unsigned card anyway, they risk financial liability should the cardholder later dispute the charge.

beebobby

After reading Jack's post, I got out my Visa and tried to sign the back, but the stupid card won't take the ink. I tried 3 different pens. Have to try and find a fine line Sharpie.

WalkingWolf

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/sign-or-write-see-ID-1282.php

The card companies remind customers that the signature panel isn't just for verifying the signature. It's also used to validate the contract you have with the credit card company. By signing, you confirm that you agree to their terms. And even though you may choose not to sign the card but use it anyway, you still are bound to the terms and agreements set forth by the issuer.

Chris Monteiro, spokesman for MasterCard, says, "Technically, a MasterCard is not valid unless signed by the authorized cardholder. If a person has not signed his card, the merchant technically should not complete the transaction." The merchant can only complete the transaction on an unsigned card if the cardholder signs the card in front of the employee and then produces valid identification proving their identity, Monteiro says

Visa's policy is nearly identical to MasterCard's. Visa covers this topic in its "Rules for Merchants" handbook. There is a section entitled "See ID," which says: "See ID or Check for ID is not a valid substitute for a signature. The customer must sign the card, in your presence." And if the customer refuses? "A refusal to sign means the card is still invalid and cannot be accepted." The handbook then reminds merchants that if they ignore this mandate and accept an unsigned card anyway, they risk financial liability should the cardholder later dispute the charge.

Mine is signed "CID" with my initials next to it. It never has been refused. That is all that I need YMMV.

Jack House

And no one asks to check your ID either.

The discussion wasn't that it'd work, the discussion was that it invalidates your card. Which it does. The fact that people take your card without a proper signature is evidence that card is no more secure with CID than without.

WalkingWolf

And no one asks to check your ID either.

The discussion wasn't that it'd work, the discussion was that it invalidates your card. Which it does. The fact that people take your card without a proper signature is evidence that card is no more secure with CID than without.

They do if I forget to present it with the credit card. Merchants that deal with my regularly I do not and they do not ask. But they know me personally. If someone gets my card there is a good likelihood that the merchant will ask, or deny the card.

EMNofSeattle

The Dairy Queen in Port Orchard, WA will always ID you if you walk in, but will never card anyone who goes through the drive through, I guess those ID thieves are into being green and living carfree lifestyles....

I wonder if I can spin this on a complaint to the store owner as I'm being discriminated against because of my tender young age.....

What really drives me nuts is that they never check for a signature, only your ID they'll happily take an invalid card but will claim it's for your own good when they ask you to produce your drivers license.
I used to readily provide my drivers license until last year,

It was our senior year of high school and me and my friends saved up some money so we could go to a rifle instruction camp in Southern WA about 3 hours from home, and so it was a weekend trip so we rented a hotel room at an Econolodge 15 minutes from the range, and so I go in with my reservation and my debit card to pay for the room and the guy asks to see ID, well I figured it wasn't for my card but to make sure I was the same guy listed on the reservation, so i hand over my drivers license and debit card, and he begins the inquistition, well when I signed my driver's license the lady told me to "print my name on the license" so I spelled it out in print letters, where as my card has my scrawl like signature. and so he was asking questions about why my signatures don't match and on and on, and so finally I said "we need to move our luggage what room is ours" and derailed his train of though, then we got the key and went to the room. still since then I don't like showing my DL for my DC

EMNofSeattle

They do if I forget to present it with the credit card. Merchants that deal with my regularly I do not and they do not ask. But they know me personally. If someone gets my card there is a good likelihood that the merchant will ask, or deny the card.

the only places I've ever had my card examined in detail was the hotel, see above, and if i'm making a purchase over 100 dollars, for small purchases I doubt they take a second look at your signature line, my mom has me do alot of her errands, I have signed for her credit card so many times and my signature looks nothing like hers.

WalkingWolf

the only places I've ever had my card examined in detail was the hotel, see above, and if i'm making a purchase over 100 dollars, for small purchases I doubt they take a second look at your signature line, my mom has me do alot of her errands, I have signed for her credit card so many times and my signature looks nothing like hers.
That's where the YMMV comes in. My wife uses my card, but the merchants know her, and I.

mark-in-texas

Here's what I found on privacy rights site
Retail merchants ARE NOT the credit card police!! They like to say that asking for ID avoids fraudulent charges. Stolen card or not, bottom line is they STILL GET PAID. If the card holder has reported the card stolen, it's the card issuers responsibility to render it unusable and the holder is off the hook for any charges.

https://www.privacyrights.org/ar/Alert-FS15.htm

Last edited:

Tawnos

If someone gets your card there is a good likelihood they'll transfer the details to another card using a cheap mag stripe programmer. That card can have whatever they want printed on it, and how would the merchant know to deny it? Your "security" measures are merely theater.

WalkingWolf

If someone gets your card there is a good likelihood they'll transfer the details to another card using a cheap mag stripe programmer. That card can have whatever they want printed on it, and how would the merchant know to deny it? Your "security" measures are merely theater.
Or they could just use their secret decoder ring~~whatever, a seat belt may not save my life in a collision, but I am still going to do it. I suggest people not lose sleep over it.

Jack House

Or they could just use their secret decoder ring~~whatever, a seat belt may not save my life in a collision, but I am still going to do it. I suggest people not lose sleep over it.
Credit card counterfeiting is cheap, easy and can be done without you ever even knowing it. Don't even need a magic decoder ring. Welcome to the 21st century, gramps. ;)

Hell, even a convention full of security experts were victims* of credit card counterfeiting. These weren't just a bunch of kiddies either, they were the best and brightest.

*Victims only in demonstration. No one actually had their info stolen, it was more like David cutting a piece of Saul's robe. They simply proved they could if they wanted too and no one was the wiser till they were told about it.

sharkey

Nice of you to help them steal your identity.

http://credit.about.com/b/2011/05/21/no-id-required-for-credit-card-purchases.htm

While merchants may ask for ID to prevent credit card fraud, your personal information is at risk when you show your ID. Remember that your name, address, driver's license number, and sometimes social security number are printed on your driver's license. This is just the information an unscrupulous cashier needs to steal your identity. Many credit card fraudsters are successful with just your zip code and credit card number.

To the OP, call Visa. MC has an online complaint form but not Visa.

ETA, well they do but not for ID

https://usa.visa.com/checkoutfees/contact.jsp
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-has-an-online-merchant-violation-report-form

Last edited: