• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FPS Russia on CC vs. OC

TheQ

All,

We need to change our dialog. Someone who says:

"I think CC is better than OC and here's why, but do whatever you want"

Is NOT anti-OC. He is clearly pro-choice, preferring CC himself. To call him anti-OC is the same as calling an OCer that says:

"I think OC is better than CC and here's why, but do whatever you want"

Anti-CC -- it just doesn't make sense!

HKcarrier

I'm with HKcarrier. I tend to think of this as an odds game. I believe that most common criminals are not looking to commit murder and will avoid an obviously armed person and I believe research and common sense backs up that belief. I also freely admit that there are people in the world that will target me for my OCed handgun and "shoot me first" just to get me out of the way or steal my handgun, BUT the number of people in that category is tiny when compared to the number of common criminals.

So, for me, if an OCed handgun acts as a deterrent for *75% of criminals...meaning that I will not be targeted by that large majority, but acts as an enticement for 25% of criminals...meaning I would be targeted by a minority of criminals specifically because I had a visible pistol I see it as an overall benefit to OC.

I want to plan my self-defense strategies based on what I am most likely to encounter. And I am most likely to encounter a common criminal out looking for an easy score. It's the same reason I put the fire extinguisher in my kitchen near the stove instead of over the dishwasher. Could my dishwasher catch fire? Sure it could, but the chances of a fire starting in or on the stove are much higher.

*I doubt the actual numbers are anywhere near the 75/25 split.

Bronson

Yeah, you numbers are probably on the CONSERVATIVE side... only the most hardcore criminals are likely to break off a chunk like that...

Additionally, saying someone will shoot your for your gun makes as much sense as "someone will shoot you for your rolex" or "someone will shoot you for your BMW".... Again, clearly they have not thought their argument all the way through and as someone pointed out they're just parroting what they hear from others instead of actually checking it out and OCing themselves.

All,

We need to change our dialog. Someone who says:

"I think CC is better than OC and here's why, but do whatever you want"

Is NOT anti-OC. He is clearly pro-choice, preferring CC himself. To call him anti-OC is the same as calling an OCer that says:

"I think OC is better than CC and here's why, but do whatever you want"

Anti-CC -- it just doesn't make sense!

He can say "I think OC is a bad idea for me and I don't do it" and be fine... but when he starts making disparaging remarks against OCers, I tend to lean towards him being ANTI-OC.... Just my opinion.

cptstoney

i can't take this guy seriuosly if my life depended on it. he dual weilds 12 ga semi auto shot guns and CGI's flying drones into his vid.......

Bronson

Additionally, saying someone will shoot your for your gun makes as much sense as "someone will shoot you for your rolex" or "someone will shoot you for your BMW".... Again, clearly they have not thought their argument all the way through

There are some truly heinous evil people in this world and I believe a certain number of them would kill you for your Rolex, BMW, gun, shoes, wearing the wrong color, or just for fun. But, I also believe these people are rare when compared to the size of the criminal population as a whole and like I said I put together my personal security plan for what I am most likely to encounter.

Bronson

HKcarrier

There are some truly heinous evil people in this world and I believe a certain number of them would kill you for your Rolex, BMW, gun, shoes, wearing the wrong color, or just for fun. But, I also believe these people are rare when compared to the size of the criminal population as a whole and like I said I put together my personal security plan for what I am most likely to encounter.

Bronson

I don't disagree with you a bit... I was just pointing out that the argument that you shouldn't OC because you'll get shot for your gun is as stupid as you shouldn't drive your car because you might get shot for it or you shouldnt' wear your rolex because you might get shot for it.... etc...

I really don't care if he was born in Pango Pango, what's the point?

I LoL at the people that actually think he's russian.... I knew RIGHT AWAY that it was just an act... He's a computer gamer that used to make coujnter-strike videos and stuff then moved on to other games... and again on to doing gun vids....

ScottE

I pretty much agree with the guy in the video. I think a lot of it has to do with training. A lot of people that practice responsible CC learned it from taking tactical training classes. Most schools encourage CC, but don't force it. I have to say, if your sole purpose for carrying is personal defense, I see no reason to OC. I can see going with OC if you're in a war zone, but while going about our daily lives in the general public, I just think it's obnoxious.

griffin

I see no reason to OC. I can see going with OC if you're in a war zone, but while going about our daily lives in the general public, I just think it's obnoxious.

I agree with you. Who in the heck would do that? For that matter, who had the bright idea to create this forum dedicated to open carry, anyway? Buncha attention-getters, I say.

griffin

He's NOT even Russian, the accent is fake.

Not only that, but he now has his own line of firearms. How dare he.

https://www.facebook.com/fpsindustries

577147_372896149453641_380773908_n.jpg

stainless1911

Banned
I pretty much agree with the guy in the video. I think a lot of it has to do with training. A lot of people that practice responsible CC learned it from taking tactical training classes. Most schools encourage CC, but don't force it. I have to say, if your sole purpose for carrying is personal defense, I see no reason to OC. I can see going with OC if you're in a war zone, but while going about our daily lives in the general public, I just think it's obnoxious.

IF OC is obnoxious, then CC is selfish.

CC is a hindrance to gun rights. It has quite possibly done the more damage to gun rights than any other thing.

ScottE

IF OC is obnoxious, then CC is selfish.

CC is a hindrance to gun rights. It has quite possibly done the more damage to gun rights than any other thing.

I think California would disagree with you. OC may be fine in some rural areas. But in large urban areas, you're bringing trouble onto yourself, not only with the general public and LEOs, but one could argue from a tactical stand point as well. Gun carry is not popular enough yet to push OC on to people. Educating the public on gun carry is a long slow process. The OC people in California set that state back. Others could follow. It's a large segment of the OC people that are a hindrance to gun rights. This is something that needs to be eased into. But I know I'm not going to be able to convince most OC people of that.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I think California would disagree with you. OC may be fine in some rural areas. But in large urban areas, you're bringing trouble onto yourself, not only with the general public and LEOs, but one could argue from a tactical stand point as well. Gun carry is not popular enough yet to push OC on to people. Educating the public on gun carry is a long slow process. The OC people in California set that state back. Others could follow. It's a large segment of the OC people that are a hindrance to gun rights. This is something that needs to be eased into. But I know I'm not going to be able to convince most OC people of that.

I think you vastly overestimate the reaction of the general population regarding OC. The actions of a few 'knee jerk' people manage to make the evening news.

Yes, there are a few attention seekers that try to precipitate contentious interactions with law enforcement, but the vast majority go about our daily business while OCing, with absolutely ZERO drama.

You are likely to find people more sympathetic to your point of view on a forum that is not dedicated to using open carry as a tool to educate the average person, and / or as a tactical choice.