• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FPS Russia anti OC? too bad, i like his videos

mobiushky

Seems to me that most of the "operator" type mentalities are anti-OC due to the tactical issues. But what doesn't seem to translate well is the real world non-operator types who aren't looking to take down an enemy encampment with a 6 man squad... I'm just looking to keep myself safe and maybe discourage a few BG's along the way.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I've never head an OCer complaining about being shot in the back of the head...so Go OC !

Go CC

Go crazy

Go b-a-n-a-n-a-s !

:banana::banana::banana:

WalkingWolf

Just another CCer bugged by his own fears of carrying open. Who cares? He is insignificant, and we should not let his bias be a worry. Seems he needs attention.

Diesel

He has a point though with being singled out and shot first. I believe he is fine with OC around his place but prefers to CC in public so not to cause a commotion.

If I'm willing/desperate to rob a store and I see a guy OCing, I will target them first and eliminate a threat. Yes there maybe someone CCing but I don't know who. That is what makes CC so effective, you don't know WHO is carrying and HOW many. You can walk into a store with 5 people with all CCing or walking in with 30 people not carrying, or vicea versa. My CCW instructor prefers to CC everywhere b/c he doesn't want people to know he is carrying and the only time he wants a person to know is when they see the business end of his gun and hearing the sound of his safety being clicked off. That is why I like Glocks, don't have to worry about a safety. Just gotta worry if I ran the slide when I walked out of my house that day.

carsontech

Activist Member
He has a point though with being singled out and shot first.
If I'm willing/desperate to rob a store and I see a guy OCing, I will target them first and eliminate a threat.

Do you have any cites where someone specifically shot an open carrier first because the open carrier was in their way of robbing a store?

Just because you think you would get rid of "the threat" before robbing a store, doesn't mean people who are actually going to rob a store would.

My CCW instructor prefers to CC everywhere b/c he doesn't want people to know he is carrying and the only time he wants a person to know is when they see the business end of his gun and hearing the sound of his safety being clicked off.

I believe there's a reason most "CCW instructors" tell everyone they prefer CC, because they make money off people wanting to CC.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

If I'm willing/desperate to rob a store and I see a guy OCing, I will target them first and eliminate a threat.

If you wanted to rob a store and you saw a guy OCing you really think you wouldn't turn around and find a store without someone with a firearm????
You obviously don't think like a criminal.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I've never head an OCer complaining about being shot in the back of the head...so Go OC !

Go CC

Go crazy

Go b-a-n-a-n-a-s !

:banana::banana::banana:
i pretty much told FPS Russia that. i mentioned that if you OC you need to have a high level of situational awareness. not that you don't when you CC, but i said that if you feel like you might get snuck up on or that someone might get the drop on you, then you shouldn't OC.

HKcarrier

He has a point though with being singled out and shot first. I believe he is fine with OC around his place but prefers to CC in public so not to cause a commotion.

If I'm willing/desperate to rob a store and I see a guy OCing, I will target them first and eliminate a threat. Yes there maybe someone CCing but I don't know who. That is what makes CC so effective, you don't know WHO is carrying and HOW many. You can walk into a store with 5 people with all CCing or walking in with 30 people not carrying, or vicea versa. My CCW instructor prefers to CC everywhere b/c he doesn't want people to know he is carrying and the only time he wants a person to know is when they see the business end of his gun and hearing the sound of his safety being clicked off. That is why I like Glocks, don't have to worry about a safety. Just gotta worry if I ran the slide when I walked out of my house that day.

A robber/thief does not a murderer make. Just because someone is willing to threaten violence to get theri $150 out of the till doesn't mean they will actually kill someone... if they were willing to just out and out kill someone why would they leave a live witness to the crime? They would just kill the clerk and everyone in the store... they don't because they're not murderers. They're party story robbers... BIIIIIIG difference.

They also know that the cops aren't going to hunt as hard for the quickie mart robber as they would for a murderer.

People who use that logic clearly aren't thinking things all the way through.

Gil223

Do you have any cites where someone specifically shot an open carrier first because the open carrier was in their way of robbing a store?

Just because you think you would get rid of "the threat" before robbing a store, doesn't mean people who are actually going to rob a store would.

It also doesn't mean they wouldn't.

I believe there's a reason most "CCW instructors" tell everyone they prefer CC, because they make money off people wanting to CC.

Here's a cite for you - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203430404577094332452754246.html - Granted this is not a "store robbery" but the officer was OC'ing.

Whether a BG shoots anybody or not, depends on his/her mindset. If their mindset is one of "anybody gets in my way, they're dead", there's a good chance an OC'er on the scene would be seen as the primary threat, and therefore the first to be eliminated. Another variable would be the perceived value of the score to the miscreant. If he/she perceives it as being "a roll of the dice" against success or failure, and the "prize" is more highly valued than his/her freedom - or possibly his/her own life - it may be enough motivation to take out the OC'er that is viewed as an impediment to his/her success. (Just because something may not have happened yet, doesn't place it outside the realm of possibility. Neither does something unusual having happened, mean that it will be repeated any time soon.)

I agree with your evaluation of "most CCW instructors". Most bus line operators would tell you the bus is the most economical way to travel. There's a natural tendency for business people to "feather their own nest." I doubt that many CCW instructors are doing that job absolutely pro bono.
Pax...

twoskinsonemanns

The reality is would you hear about it if a robber came in, saw an OCer, and immediately shot him?
Of Course. So confidently we can assume we hear ~ all of these instances. Not many.

But would you hear about it if a robber came in, saw an OCer, and immediately turned around and went somewhere else? So rarely to be inconsiderable.

By default crimes stopped before hand due to an OC deterrent don't get acknowledged.

TheQ

All,

We need to change our dialog. Someone who says:

"I think CC is better than OC and here's why, but do whatever you want"

Is NOT anti-OC. He is clearly pro-choice, preferring CC himself. To call him anti-OC is the same as calling an OCer that says:

"I think OC is better than CC and here's why, but do whatever you want"

Anti-CC -- it just doesn't make sense!

Gil223

All,

We need to change our dialog. Someone who says:

"I think CC is better than OC and here's why, but do whatever you want"

Is NOT anti-OC. He is clearly pro-choice, preferring CC himself. To call him anti-OC is the same as calling an OCer that says:

"I think OC is better than CC and here's why, but do whatever you want"

Anti-CC -- it just doesn't make sense!

+1 (It's nice to see some rational objectivity on this particular subject!) :) Pax...