Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Is OC a Deterrent to Criminals?

  1. #1
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770

    Is OC a Deterrent to Criminals?

    I'm putting this in the Social Lounge because I'm not too sure exactly what happened.

    Last Friday evening, my lovely bride had to stop at a Chinese take-out place to confer with the parents of her two students. When she got out of the car, she left her door open just enough to keep the interior lights on. I had lowered the driver's side window and was keeping a pretty close eye on things. My .45 was in the cup holder in the console and under my right hand.

    Next thing I know, this young man comes running up to my window saying something like, "Sir, my car won't start and would you....." Pause while his eyes got very large and then I heard, "Sorry, excuse me, never mind" all in quick succession as he turned and broke the Land Speed Record leaving the area!!

    Mind you, I never said a word and never touched my holstered weapon. I would like to know what he had in mind before he saw what was under my right hand.

    I do believe that OC is a very powerful deterrent to criminals and I think that little episode is an example.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  2. #2
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Can't possibly be a deterrent, otherwise there would be no reason for law enforcement to have shiny badges on colorful uniforms, driving distinctively decorated cars with bright, flashy lights on top. Using the "the bad guys will never know who might be armed and who isn't, so they'll behave" logic, then it only makes sense for LEO's to drive nondescript, plain cars so that criminals won't know if the car next to them is a police car, or just someone on the way to the Kwickee Mart for a Slushie.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    I'm putting this in the Social Lounge because I'm not too sure exactly what happened.

    Last Friday evening, my lovely bride had to stop at a Chinese take-out place to confer with the parents of her two students. When she got out of the car, she left her door open just enough to keep the interior lights on. I had lowered the driver's side window and was keeping a pretty close eye on things. My .45 was in the cup holder in the console and under my right hand.

    Next thing I know, this young man comes running up to my window saying something like, "Sir, my car won't start and would you....." Pause while his eyes got very large and then I heard, "Sorry, excuse me, never mind" all in quick succession as he turned and broke the Land Speed Record leaving the area!!

    Mind you, I never said a word and never touched my holstered weapon. I would like to know what he had in mind before he saw what was under my right hand.

    I do believe that OC is a very powerful deterrent to criminals and I think that little episode is an example.
    What makes you think this person was a criminal rather than an anti or hoplophobe?

  4. #4
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    In California, prior to the OC ban, there was sure to be about 12 cops surrouding open carriers so i'm sure that reduced crime in that specific area.
    HA! Nice.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  5. #5
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by LV XD9 View Post
    What makes you think this person was a criminal rather than an anti or hoplophobe?
    Because, around here anyways, the folks who run up to your car or to you asking for money for gas, help in starting their car, etc., etc. are usually up to no good.

    Granted, that may not always be the case, but it is far safer here to presume that they are of a criminal bent.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  6. #6
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,274
    "What he had in mind?" Well, after apparently seeing your gat he was thinking about "time and distance".....before that, who cares.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  7. #7
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    It seems you have seen the deterrent effect of OC, this is similar to a couple of occasions I have been in. Because OC stops further action it is difficult to say with certainty if it prevented something or not.

    I am glad you didn't have to find out further what the persons intentions were.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urban Skeet City, Alabama
    Posts
    897
    My experience is that it is, provided that the person has sense enough to recognize a gun.

    I had a guy come up to me at a gas pump and ask for money, give me some story about how he'd been at some hospital with problems related to a yet-to-be-born child. I told him right out that he was lying and to just leave. He goes back to the car, gets in it, and the female passenger rolls down the window and gets ready to shout something... Then says something to the driver and he cranks the car up and leaves immediately. When the left, I saw that the side of their car, hidden from me, had the front fender peeled back almost to the driver's door.

    I was OC, strong-side to them, with a Ruger LCP. I suppose she suddenly realized that it wasn't a cell phone.

    I guess they know better than to escalate when a man has told them to leave and is equipped to protect his life with deadly force.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post

    I was OC, strong-side to them, with a Ruger LCP. I suppose she suddenly realized that it wasn't a cell phone.
    Sell a cellphone that looks like a gun .. over time, no one would know if you are carrying a gun or a cell phone...b-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t


    "This call is for YOU !!!"

  10. #10
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Sell a cellphone that looks like a gun .. over time, no one would know if you are carrying a gun or a cell phone...b-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t


    "This call is for YOU !!!"
    Oh no.... That might cause ever more accidental deaths.
    He died when he answered his handgun thinking it was his cellphone.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    OCing can attract the police who then violate you ... so I don't know ...

  12. #12
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    In support of the OP on this thread... I have nothing to add but my personal experience....

    OC'ing in Abquerqueqe, NM a year and a half ago after dark. I was rearranging some items in the trunk of my trike. As I am doing this I notice a guy looking from left to right and behind himself as he slowly makes his way toward me. He at this point is coming towards me on my weakside so he does not see my firearm. As he continues to move closer to me and now is about 25 feet away I intentionally reposition myself so he is now walking toward me strongside. He does a double take and makes a 90 degree turn to leave the area while no longer doing the slow walk towards me. He never said anything to me, I never said anything to him but as soon as he saw the light glint off my firearm while still in the holster and my hand nowhere near he hightails his way to other locales!

    Can I prove that OC prevents crime? NOPE, but I do believe that it does!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25
    ..........
    Last edited by TechStuffBC; 10-06-2012 at 03:48 AM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25
    .........
    Last edited by TechStuffBC; 10-06-2012 at 03:48 AM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    OCing can attract the police who then violate you ... so I don't know ...
    I get asked a few times a week if my OC as invited unwanted attention, I say only by the city Police, they paid me not to take them to federal court.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Oh no.... That might cause ever more accidental deaths.
    He died when he answered his handgun thinking it was his cellphone.
    OK, only democrats can purchase the special phone ... the problem will irradiate itself

  17. #17
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Oh no.... That might cause ever more accidental deaths.
    He died when he answered his handgun thinking it was his cellphone.

    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  18. #18
    Regular Member hjmoosejaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.W. Pa.
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Sell a cellphone that looks like a gun .. over time, no one would know if you are carrying a gun or a cell phone...b-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t


    "This call is for YOU !!!"

    Yeah, or, "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?"
    watch your top knot !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •