• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is OC a Deterrent to Criminals?

SFCRetired

I'm putting this in the Social Lounge because I'm not too sure exactly what happened.

Last Friday evening, my lovely bride had to stop at a Chinese take-out place to confer with the parents of her two students. When she got out of the car, she left her door open just enough to keep the interior lights on. I had lowered the driver's side window and was keeping a pretty close eye on things. My .45 was in the cup holder in the console and under my right hand.

Next thing I know, this young man comes running up to my window saying something like, "Sir, my car won't start and would you....." Pause while his eyes got very large and then I heard, "Sorry, excuse me, never mind" all in quick succession as he turned and broke the Land Speed Record leaving the area!!

Mind you, I never said a word and never touched my holstered weapon. I would like to know what he had in mind before he saw what was under my right hand.

I do believe that OC is a very powerful deterrent to criminals and I think that little episode is an example.

Ca Patriot

In California, prior to the OC ban, there was sure to be about 12 cops surrouding open carriers so i'm sure that reduced crime in that specific area.

Fallschirjmäger

Can't possibly be a deterrent, otherwise there would be no reason for law enforcement to have shiny badges on colorful uniforms, driving distinctively decorated cars with bright, flashy lights on top. Using the "the bad guys will never know who might be armed and who isn't, so they'll behave" logic, then it only makes sense for LEO's to drive nondescript, plain cars so that criminals won't know if the car next to them is a police car, or just someone on the way to the Kwickee Mart for a Slushie.

LV XD9

I'm putting this in the Social Lounge because I'm not too sure exactly what happened.

Last Friday evening, my lovely bride had to stop at a Chinese take-out place to confer with the parents of her two students. When she got out of the car, she left her door open just enough to keep the interior lights on. I had lowered the driver's side window and was keeping a pretty close eye on things. My .45 was in the cup holder in the console and under my right hand.

Next thing I know, this young man comes running up to my window saying something like, "Sir, my car won't start and would you....." Pause while his eyes got very large and then I heard, "Sorry, excuse me, never mind" all in quick succession as he turned and broke the Land Speed Record leaving the area!!

Mind you, I never said a word and never touched my holstered weapon. I would like to know what he had in mind before he saw what was under my right hand.

I do believe that OC is a very powerful deterrent to criminals and I think that little episode is an example.

What makes you think this person was a criminal rather than an anti or hoplophobe?

SFCRetired

What makes you think this person was a criminal rather than an anti or hoplophobe?
Because, around here anyways, the folks who run up to your car or to you asking for money for gas, help in starting their car, etc., etc. are usually up to no good.

Granted, that may not always be the case, but it is far safer here to presume that they are of a criminal bent.

OC for ME

"What he had in mind?" Well, after apparently seeing your gat he was thinking about "time and distance".....before that, who cares.

sudden valley gunner

It seems you have seen the deterrent effect of OC, this is similar to a couple of occasions I have been in. Because OC stops further action it is difficult to say with certainty if it prevented something or not.

I am glad you didn't have to find out further what the persons intentions were.

Kirbinator

My experience is that it is, provided that the person has sense enough to recognize a gun.

I had a guy come up to me at a gas pump and ask for money, give me some story about how he'd been at some hospital with problems related to a yet-to-be-born child. I told him right out that he was lying and to just leave. He goes back to the car, gets in it, and the female passenger rolls down the window and gets ready to shout something... Then says something to the driver and he cranks the car up and leaves immediately. When the left, I saw that the side of their car, hidden from me, had the front fender peeled back almost to the driver's door.

I was OC, strong-side to them, with a Ruger LCP. I suppose she suddenly realized that it wasn't a cell phone.

I guess they know better than to escalate when a man has told them to leave and is equipped to protect his life with deadly force.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I was OC, strong-side to them, with a Ruger LCP. I suppose she suddenly realized that it wasn't a cell phone.

:idea::idea::idea: Sell a cellphone that looks like a gun .. over time, no one would know if you are carrying a gun or a cell phone...b-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t :idea:

"This call is for YOU !!!"

Freedom1Man

:idea::idea::idea: Sell a cellphone that looks like a gun .. over time, no one would know if you are carrying a gun or a cell phone...b-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t :idea:

"This call is for YOU !!!"

Oh no.... That might cause ever more accidental deaths.
He died when he answered his handgun thinking it was his cellphone.

JoeSparky

Centurion
In support of the OP on this thread... I have nothing to add but my personal experience....

OC'ing in Abquerqueqe, NM a year and a half ago after dark. I was rearranging some items in the trunk of my trike. As I am doing this I notice a guy looking from left to right and behind himself as he slowly makes his way toward me. He at this point is coming towards me on my weakside so he does not see my firearm. As he continues to move closer to me and now is about 25 feet away I intentionally reposition myself so he is now walking toward me strongside. He does a double take and makes a 90 degree turn to leave the area while no longer doing the slow walk towards me. He never said anything to me, I never said anything to him but as soon as he saw the light glint off my firearm while still in the holster and my hand nowhere near he hightails his way to other locales!

Can I prove that OC prevents crime? NOPE, but I do believe that it does!

sudden valley gunner

Oh no.... That might cause ever more accidental deaths.
He died when he answered his handgun thinking it was his cellphone.

Glockphone.jpg