• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Eric Cantor Anti-Gun Venue Choice web page out there now - http://www.cantorongun

davidmcbeth

Banned
The website demands that he complete and return the questionnaire but then says it would just be lies anyway .... so why bother?

Vote against him.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
551867_444170462299709_2890174_n.jpg

acfreddie

I was surprised to read this about a (R) especially one from VA. I will be sending him (aka some staffer) in his office an email and asking why none of the proposed alternative locations were acceptable to hold the event.

This for sure it's something that is weighing on my mind and could in the end cost not only Mr. Cantor a vote but also a needed vote for the (R)'s to hold/gain a seat. To me that is typical of a politician but I'm still offended that such a blatant/bold middle finger was extended towards this issue.

If I get anything other than the auto staffer reply I will try to post it here for all to see

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In the interest of getting the facts right - and only in that interest - it should be noted that Eric Cantor is not directly responsible for his annual fundraiser being held at anti-gun rights Snag-a-Job Pavillion, and that the rest of the Innsbrook complex seems to have no problem with OC or CC.

The 7th District Republican Committee is the organization that hosts the fundraiser and they then turn over the proceeds of the event to their favored candidate - who just happens to be Eric Cantor. It has been impossible to break into the decision-making process of why Snag-a-Job Pavillion is selected, but there is sufficient reason to believe there is some sort of financial consideration in play.

Moving forward from those points - I have corresponded to (not with, as I neve get any replies) Eric Cantor and his reelection campaign for the past two years asking why the candidate continues to permit the 7th District Republican Committee to choose a venue that locks out a significant proportion of the voters who would consider supporting him. Eric Cantor does not select the venue, but he certainly has sufficient influence to tell the 7th District Republican Committee that he will not attend any event they hold at any venue that ias blatantly anti-gun rights, and that he will not accept any donations they attempt to offer based on the fact that they were collected at an anti-gun rights venue.

This is known as taking the moral high ground. It has never been a problem for Eric Cantor and his reelection campaign to refuse to accept funds offered by the KKK or any of a number of neo-Nazi/White Majority organizations. If Eric Cantor and his reelection campaign can assume the moral high ground with regard to donations from those sources, it is baffling why Eric Cantor and his reelection campaign continue to accept contributions from an event that blatantly refuses to accept/acknowledge the rights of those who would be/in fact are a significant portion of Eric Cantor's voter base.

Do not blame Eric Cantor for choosing Snag-a-Job Pavillion. Blame him for refusing to stand up to the 7th District Republican Committee.

stay safe.

acfreddie

Ok the information contained within this posting sent my spirit into overdrive and while I could not call his office at this hour (and be able to reach anyone of even minor importance), I was motivated enough to send him (read some office staffer) an email.

In my email I politely asked why he was unable to use one of the numerous alternative locations that the VCDL offered/suggested.

I also mentioned that without being able to hear his views on issues that are important to me at events (such as the one in question at the anti-gun location) I would be unable to learn about his views on issues of importance to myself (and I'll go out on a limb here and say nearly to all of us here, aka 2nd amendment, etc) and without being able to know said information my vote may not be for him.

No matter what, I can say that I feel better after having sent my feelings and question along to the current representative and candidate who is seeking re-election from my district.

Edited portion:
After reading the posting by skidmark (btw, thanks for that posting), I am still glad that I sent along my email to him/his office. While I do not expect a reply, I'm still holding the opinion that there is a tiny fraction of a chance that someone of importance will eventually read it and the common sense contained in my writing will cause Rep Cantor to evaluate the importance and potential impact the location of the event has in his campaign.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
This is known as taking the moral high ground. It has never been a problem for Eric Cantor and his reelection campaign to refuse to accept funds offered by the KKK or any of a number of neo-Nazi/White Majority organizations. If Eric Cantor and his reelection campaign can assume the moral high ground with regard to donations from those sources, .

really, not accepting $$ from the KKK puts one on high moral grounds? Oh, and Nazis too. How about serial children rapists and killers?

That's his best foot forward on being moral he's hopping on 1 leg.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
In the interest of getting the facts right - and only in that interest - it should be noted that Eric Cantor is not directly responsible for his annual fundraiser being held at anti-gun rights Snag-a-Job Pavillion, and that the rest of the Innsbrook complex seems to have no problem with OC or CC.

The 7th District Republican Committee is the organization that hosts the fundraiser and they then turn over the proceeds of the event to their favored candidate - who just happens to be Eric Cantor. It has been impossible to break into the decision-making process of why Snag-a-Job Pavillion is selected, but there is sufficient reason to believe there is some sort of financial consideration in play.

Moving forward from those points - I have corresponded to (not with, as I neve get any replies) Eric Cantor and his reelection campaign for the past two years asking why the candidate continues to permit the 7th District Republican Committee to choose a venue that locks out a significant proportion of the voters who would consider supporting him. Eric Cantor does not select the venue, but he certainly has sufficient influence to tell the 7th District Republican Committee that he will not attend any event they hold at any venue that ias blatantly anti-gun rights, and that he will not accept any donations they attempt to offer based on the fact that they were collected at an anti-gun rights venue.

This is known as taking the moral high ground. It has never been a problem for Eric Cantor and his reelection campaign to refuse to accept funds offered by the KKK or any of a number of neo-Nazi/White Majority organizations. If Eric Cantor and his reelection campaign can assume the moral high ground with regard to donations from those sources, it is baffling why Eric Cantor and his reelection campaign continue to accept contributions from an event that blatantly refuses to accept/acknowledge the rights of those who would be/in fact are a significant portion of Eric Cantor's voter base.

Do not blame Eric Cantor for choosing Snag-a-Job Pavillion. Blame him for refusing to stand up to the 7th District Republican Committee.

stay safe.

Absolutely right Skid and I'd like to point out that several years ago at the Goochland meeting, when Cobb was saying Innsbrook was the only place that could handle it....you offered to find a place that met their specs. The silence was deafening.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Absolutely right Skid and I'd like to point out that several years ago at the Goochland meeting, when Cobb was saying Innsbrook was the only place that could handle it....you offered to find a place that met their specs. The silence was deafening.

Good ol' boys in seersucker suits don't like those "not from here" making outside the box suggestions - particularly if they make sense.

What we need are people inside the local committee - then our influence would be direct and telling.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Good ol' boys in seersucker suits don't like those "not from here" making outside the box suggestions - particularly if they make sense.

What we need are people inside the local committee - then our influence would be direct and telling.

I rise to inform the gentleman that I differ with his opinion. The person who sits in the seat allocated to the Virginia 7th Congressional District does not represent just and only those voters who reside within that Distict. If that were the case then "pasrtisan politics" would have an entirely different look.

Further, at times it may become necessary for those who reside outside a specific Congressional District to come to the aid of those residing within that District and assist them, their political committee, and their candidate, in entering if not the 21st century then certainly the last third of the 20th century.

These activities, coupled with getting a few residents within the Virginia 7th Congressional District on board would be the best of all possible worlds. As I see things, getting those residing in the District to become active is the more difficult matter. The floor is open to suggestions.

stay safe.

Brian Reynolds

Hi All,

From my conversations with VCDL PAC Chairman Dennis Fusaro, he has a grassroots boots-on-the-ground initiative with a team in the 7th District distributing the flyer you see on the CantorOnGuns website. In addition, there are email blasts and robocalls which direct folks to the website I created to learn more and print the flyer for themselves.

Addressing why Eric Cantor is the target--Eric directly lied to Ed and others concerning the venue's policy--not even an "I didn't know" or "I will check into it." Cantor simply lied to shift the burden off of himself. Additionally, Cantor, being the golden child, has a tremendous amount of influence with the 7th District and their venue selection committees. At end, it is not the 7th District who elects Cantor, its the voters of the 7th. 9 out of 10 voters have no idea what district they are in and even less knowledge of who it's Chairman or committee members are. They do, however, know the name Eric Cantor. So, when rallying public support, Cantor has to be the bridge.

Because there are little to no insiders (gun rights advocates close to politicians) in the 7th district, the other option is for an organization, such as VCDL, to take the initiative, rally support and demonstrate (as done in 2010) or take grassroots action as Dennis is doing now.

Underlying, this probably comes down to respect. Here in the 10th if I, Ed, Dennis, contact a 10th District member, there is a return call or personal email in response. It is not fear of the gun owner/rights community, it is respect which has been earned from a tremendous amount of grassroots work in this District. From deputies to top brass and the Sheriff, Constitutional Officers, Board of Supervisor members and their aids to 10th district members, volunteers, committee members and the Chairman, when we walk into a room, they know our names, in turn, we have their cell phone numbers and personal email addresses. And, we come to support them--we don't just show up with one agenda when convenient or needed although underlying is always advocacy for gun rights. Ultimately, our politicians know we are the bridge to the gun community in this area, request we come to their events and attend our pro-gun events.

From what I understand, this is not present in the 7th.

What would I do if I lived in the 7th? While Dennis is rallying support and creating interest from one angle, I would attend the Round Up to speak to Mr. Cobb and Mr. Cantor personally. Cantor seems to vote correctly on gun rights so its just an issue of him acting in a pro-gun manner at all times. Yes, this would mean not carrying at the event, but sometimes you need to take one step back to move forward. We do it all the time here and open doors which usually leads to a positive result.

FYI, I believe Linwood Cobb is still the Chairman of the 7th. Another angle which should be used as a third line of communication is witting an email to describe there is a large group of 7th district supporter who would love to attend and support Mr. Cantor and the 7th district itself yet are morally prohibited by the venue's anti-gun policy. Mr. Cobb's 7th district email is Gophenrico@aol.com. But remember, these are politicians--they don't think like us, so to bridge the gap you have to speak their language which means whatever you say should equate to "votes" and "money".

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Dear God!
We've gone from baby steps to backward steps.

BTW, Cobb has been spoken to at length. I think I still have the audio recording of Philip, Paul and several others, speaking to Cobb at length.

That doesn't mean I disagree with the strategy BT. It is reasonable, even going to the roundup. Other than the reference to steps which I've heard enough of....I think it is the route to take. Obviously the brute force tactic isn't working.

Cobb has been spoken to. Better results would be had doing an end run around him.

Last edited:

Thundar

Good on VCDL.

The padded gloves should have been removed long ago.

Facts:

Eric Cantor supports the creation of a victim disarmament zone in order to financially improve his political career.

Eric Cantor lies to constituents when the truth is inconvenient.

Long term actions/consequences:

The 7th Congressional district needs a Republican primary in 2014 with a pro gun candidate.

the 7th Congressional District needs concerned gunowners to show up en masse at the 7th congressional district republican meetings to replace Cobb and any other ethically challenged idiots.

Brian Reynolds

Dear God!
We've gone from baby steps to backward steps.

BTW, Cobb has been spoken to at length. I think I still have the audio recording of Philip, Paul and several others, speaking to Cobb at length.

That doesn't mean I disagree with the strategy BT. It is reasonable, even going to the roundup. Other than the reference to steps which I've heard enough of....I think it is the route to take. Obviously the brute force tactic isn't working.

Cobb has been spoken to. Better results would be had doing an end run around him.

Good news, I believe we are making strides in a forward motion. The flyers were passed out at the Cantor/Powell debate last night and the media was there. Less than two hours ago, The Washington Post wrote an article quoting the flyer as well as Phillip and addressed the issue of why the VCDL is "ticked off." http://tinyurl.com/9vdzkse

Ray Allen, Jr., of Marcus & Allen, the high priced marketing firm for Cantor, is already attempting to defend Cantor as shown in the article. In politics, the moment you go from brushing an issue off to defending, you are scrambling.

Gotta love the quote from Powell's political strategist regarding Cantor voting for the 1 gun a month ban many years ago, “The true pro-gun groups haven’t forgiven him,” said Dave “Mudcat” Saunders, a veteran political strategist working with Powell. Saunders said Powell supported eliminating the one-gun-a-month limit.

Cantor's opponent, although a Democrat, has now positioned himself as one who wanted to eliminate/repeal the one-gun-a-month limit. While gun rights were not an issue at the debate, they could become an issue now--which is what we want--Cantor to walk, talk and act pro-gun and be held to the fire. This should also reopen those conversations with Cobb--its now an issue not just a conversation and request.

Time to turn up the heat a bit.

Last edited: