• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tips?

desertborn

Any one out there have any tips on how to handle people that freak out or make a scene because you are carrying?

DON`T TREAD ON ME

That seems to be a fairly uncommon experience. (LEO's exempt) The last time I recall a citizen saying something and acting even a little alarmed was at the equipment auction in Apex a few years ago, I was registering for my bid card.

Guy from across the room: "HEY MAN WHAT DO YOU NEED THE GUN FOR?"
Me: "because my holster looks like $hit without it!"

That ended the whole scene right there, the people who were starting to take notice mostly giggled at my response, and were confident nothing was about to happen. As good as that played out at the auction it may not have worked so good at church etc. When I see someone give me the questioning look, I take a sec and think "what would I say if that person would have confronted me?" that helps me build up a arsenal of responses.

28kfps

Been open carrying almost every day for almost 3 years, trips down Freemont Street, the strip, Malls, any and all stores, restaurants, Bikefest, Laughlin River Run around very large crowds and no one has ever freaked out seeing my firearm. Have had a few dumb statements or questions. I guess one non-confrontational way is to say "it is a legally carried firearm." I believe it really would depend on how freaky the freak and his actions.

The Big Guy

Any one out there have any tips on how to handle people that freak out or make a scene because you are carrying?

As Tread replied, it is not all that common for someone to do that. Do you have an experience to share?

I had a manager yell at me across a crowded lobby at a theater once and an assistant manager who just moved here from Kommifornia at a liquor store once sort of got a bit shaky. The most important thing is to remain calm against your natural urge to choke the snot out them. Giving them a look like they're some kind of idiot, shake your head and walk off works sometimes. Even with lots of experience you are still normally taken by surprise and best to remain quiet until you assess the situation and determine if that is the end of it or not.

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've never experienced anything other than looks. And I'm a guy who actually hates confrontation, so I'm glad that I live in states that just make it a non-issue for the most part. Of course, I'd like to think that if I hadn't have grown up in NV, I'd have come to my senses and moved to one of these states.

I remember reading about a story (in another state) where someone went in a convenience store and the clerk jokingly put their hands up. That would really piss me off. I don't cuss in unknown company, but the first words that came to my mind to say in such a situation are not very pleasant. I would want to make it very clear very quickly that such behavior is extremely wrong and could in fact get me shot.

Merlin

I often go with something like:

"Ooooh, you must be new here. Welcome to Nevada!"

"Oh no, it's OK, we're in Nevada!"

Both of these come off especially well when I am wearing my favorite "Not legal in California" shirt.

After that, it's up to you, but I tend to speak very calm and clear, and ask them if they have any questions about open carry. That may sound strange, but you'd be amazed how people open right up, and it gives you a chance to set a few things straight, in a very friendly way. I can convert most inquirers in under 5 minutes. As soon as they realize how normal it is, and how normal you are, they feel left out of the club. Sure, this approach doesn't work on the haters, but it works on many.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

tonnere

I ignore the panicky sheeple. I don't see the point in preaching to them. I am more often greeted with smiles in my Summerlin neighborhood and I make damn sure I return those smiles with a 'Good morning' or 'Good afternoon'. I often think the 'trolling' and activism aspect of OC can be detrimental to our cause.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I often think the 'trolling' and activism aspect of OC can be detrimental to our cause.

I don't get out much, but I've not witnessed any of that around here. I hear about it in California, of course. Rather, I used to...

desertborn

Basically had a woman start getting confrontational because Iwas OC'ing. I told her it was legal here but she didnt seem to care, as my buisness was finished I just turned and walked away.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
A bystander, or someone with whom you were conducting the business?

desertborn

My apologies. It was a bystander that saw me leaving a lounge. My belief is that the person is most likely not from this state or that simply has never seen either myself or one of my friends carrying at the location. To me the oddest part of the encounter was how poorly she viewed firearms when I know some of the people she was with are firearm owners and in one case a CC holder. All this has led me to believe that I need to OC more frequently and print off some more of the pamphlets to carry on my person.

This has by far been the worst reaction I have ever recieved, I occasionally have gotten an odd glance.or an off hand comment but nothing of the complete anti reaction I recieved that night. My only regret is not having a tape recorder running while we were talking.

Thank you all for the replies!

Merlin

I must admit being curious Merlin. Where did you purchase the "Not legal in California" shirt at?

It was a special event shirt from an informal shooting get together at Defcon several years ago. I would do a new run myself at Cafepress myself, if they had my size. :)

b0neZ

It was a special event shirt from an informal shooting get together at Defcon several years ago. I would do a new run myself at Cafepress myself, if they had my size. :)

Sorry for going OT, but I just have to ask:

1) You said informal get together, so this wasn't the "official" Defcon Shoot?
2) How long ago? Last one I made it to was DC 14. I really need to go again...

Okay, back on topic!

Merlin

Sorry for going OT, but I just have to ask:

1) You said informal get together, so this wasn't the "official" Defcon Shoot?
2) How long ago? Last one I made it to was DC 14. I really need to go again...

Okay, back on topic!

I'll have to check which year it was. The shoot has been official and unofficial off and on over the years. Most people have never heard of the DC Shoot, so when I tell people about it, I simplify the terms. :)

I have been attending Defcon since DC5.

b0neZ

I'll have to check which year it was. The shoot has been official and unofficial off and on over the years. Most people have never heard of the DC Shoot, so when I tell people about it, I simplify the terms. :)

I have been attending Defcon since DC5.

Nice! My first was DC10, when I was a Security Goon. Still have the red shirt put away for posterity.
Did you get a NinjaTel phone with an actual working wifi card? Heard they were having issues with that.

28kfps

Unless I am mistaken Galleria mall has a print your own shirt store. Is Galleria gun friendly?

Been in the Galleria many times open carrying and in many of the stores including the food court, walked right past a security guard in Kohl’s, said hi. I believe he called one of the security mall cops. They walked by however never said a word. The same day was in several of the other mall stores. I agree not really gun friendly and there has been a few postings of security encounters but a good chance of not being bothered.
I am of the opinion this is one of those issues were appearance can make a difference between a confrontation or not being bothered. (An unproven assumption on my part however does appear to work for me.) If I am out shopping I will up dress some with a nice tucked in shirt not a tail out shirt hiked up and over the firearm. I want it to look like I belong to the firearm and it was not a last minute addition thrown on with very little thought. While in Pahrump, it is a different issue. Hard to dress down enough to blend in.