• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A few questions from a noobie

Supplementing

Hi guys. Im 18 and I have a few questions. I want to buy a gun and start open carrying (my parents carry), and based off what Ive read Im allowed to at 18 in NC. What do I need to do in order to do so? If I get a permit to purchase from a private party, does that allow me to then open carry? Or do I have to get some sort of "OC permit"? Please get me up to speed.Thanks. Im in caldwell county by the way.

TDFbound

I'm not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice- be sure to do your own research.

To the best of my knowledge, open carry in NC is legal except in designated areas without any sort of permit, as long as you legally own the firearm and the firearm is legal for you to own. You may purchase a handgun from private parties at the age of 18 and from firearms dealers at the age of 21. You only need a pistol purchase permit when purchasing from a firearms dealer, which you can't yet do anyways, so you won't need a purchase permit to buy a handgun from one of your parents or for any private sale. Once you have the gun, just follow all laws regarding where you can and can't carry, and you should be good to go.

Welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy carrying as much as I do.

bc.cruiser

I'm not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice- be sure to do your own research.

To the best of my knowledge, open carry in NC is legal except in designated areas without any sort of permit, as long as you legally own the firearm and the firearm is legal for you to own. You may purchase a handgun from private parties at the age of 18 and from firearms dealers at the age of 21. You only need a pistol purchase permit when purchasing from a firearms dealer, which you can't yet do anyways, so you won't need a purchase permit to buy a handgun from one of your parents or for any private sale. Once you have the gun, just follow all laws regarding where you can and can't carry, and you should be good to go.

Welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy carrying as much as I do.

If your parents carry, they should be able to help you understand OC.

Two bits of wrong and bad info from TDFbound: bolded print; you don't need to be the owner of the gun.
red print; state law requires PPP or CHP for ALL handgun acquisitions.

Read NCGS Chapter 14, especially 14-269 thru 277.2, 14-315 thru -316, Articles 52A, 53, 53B, 54A and B
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/StatutesTOC.pl?Chapter=0014

Download a copy of the sticky at the start of the NC sub-forum.

Supplementing

If your parents carry, they should be able to help you understand OC.

Two bits of wrong and bad info from TDFbound: bolded print; you don't need to be the owner of the gun.
red print; state law requires PPP or CHP for ALL handgun acquisitions.

Read NCGS Chapter 14, especially 14-269 thru 277.2, 14-315 thru -316, Articles 52A, 53, 53B, 54A and B
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/StatutesTOC.pl?Chapter=0014

Download a copy of the sticky at the start of the NC sub-forum.

Alright, so I can carry one of my parents guns? Also, I read somewhere that I cant get a purchase permit until im 21? So if thats true, im guessing If i decide to carry Ill have to carry one of my parents? Idk, I cant really ask my parents b/c my dad is the one that knows the most but he isnt really in my life very much and my mom doesnt really want me carrying yet, she just carries because she goes through really bad parts of town on her way to work (bad as in: gang bangers standing at traffic lights and trying to get cars to roll down the window so they can car jack them BAD).

chiefjason

Contact your Sheriff's Dept and inquire about the PPP. That's where you get them. Some Sheriff's will allow an 18 yr old to get a PPP, some might want to talk to you, and some just don't do it. Technically PPP's are listed as Shall Issue in NC, but it's not quite as cut and dried as it sounds. There is more leeway in turning down a PPP than a CCP.

And if you are living with mom, get that issue resolved before you start carrying. 18 or not, I go by my house-my rules with my kids. Luckily for me, we are years away from that. lol

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
state law requires PPP or CHP for ALL handgun acquisitions.

But, if you already own it while living in another State, then move to NC, none of that Jim Crow crap applies...

Have any friends who live in a non-retard gun law state? Visit for a while... Move in, so to speak... The holidays are coming up, right? Buy a gun in that state while you "live" there... Then, decide you liked it better back in NC after a few days and move back...

Most States issue Photo IDs. You won't have to surrender your NC DL if you get a State ID (not DL) from another State with the address where you are "living" of that State...

That's how I do it anyway. If there is a way around a stupid law, I'll find it... I'll even "waste" money for the principle of the thing. But from my perspective, any effort expended on subverting evil is by definition, no waste at all. And if there is no way round it, I'll just break it... It is every citizen's duty to defy evil law s and the evil government that creates them. LAC = collaborator. Anyway, I digress, as usual... :p

WalkingWolf

If you don't mind the smoke and smudge, you can buy a cap and ball revolver without a PPP. You can even order it online if you wish. If you decide to go this route get a 1858 Remington and buy an extra cylinder, or two. Get the 5.5 inch for carry, the shorter barrel is just more comfortable. Check Cabelas to get a idea of cost, they have gone up a bit in the last few years.

Supplementing

Contact your Sheriff's Dept and inquire about the PPP. That's where you get them. Some Sheriff's will allow an 18 yr old to get a PPP, some might want to talk to you, and some just don't do it. Technically PPP's are listed as Shall Issue in NC, but it's not quite as cut and dried as it sounds. There is more leeway in turning down a PPP than a CCP.

And if you are living with mom, get that issue resolved before you start carrying. 18 or not, I go by my house-my rules with my kids. Luckily for me, we are years away from that. lol

She doesnt want me carrying but she said that she understands if I do (shes overprotective) and that I have the right to and she respects that. Its just a touchy subject for her, she dont wanna admit that im growing up I think is the biggest part of it. Im going off to college in less than a year(I took a year off after HS) and shes down about that already.

bc.cruiser

Alright, so I can carry one of my parents guns? Also, I read somewhere that I cant get a purchase permit until im 21? So if thats true, im guessing If i decide to carry Ill have to carry one of my parents? Idk, I cant really ask my parents b/c my dad is the one that knows the most but he isnt really in my life very much and my mom doesnt really want me carrying yet, she just carries because she goes through really bad parts of town on her way to work (bad as in: gang bangers standing at traffic lights and trying to get cars to roll down the window so they can car jack them BAD).

You can carry anyone's gun as long as they know you have it and you are otherwise legal to carry.

You can buy a handgun from a private party if you are under 21; purchase from an FFL requires age 21.

As advised, talk to the sheriff and explain that you are seeking to make a private purchase. It's a shame that this may be necessary, but it is what it is.:banghead: