• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

other options for lethal/non lethal defence-batons open/conceal question

ocholsteroc

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature. It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of clause (i) regarding a handgun, that a person had been issued, at the time of the offense, a valid concealed handgun permit.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Now a spring stick is a weapon that opens automaticly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIjep2NoSNo in this video, a button is used to open a baton.

"Spring stick" means a spring-loaded metal stick activated by pushing a button which rapidly and forcefully telescopes the weapon to several times its original length.

v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection
its clear by releasing a button to rapidly open a device that is what it is. Manually doing it wouldn't apply? I could see like a switch/another type of button/key remote button?

I might visit a family who works for a lawyer, thought I ask you guys if you knew. I think its legal so far?

Isn't there away to ask the attorney general for more info about state laws?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Now a spring stick is a weapon that opens automaticly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIjep2NoSNo in this video, a button is used to open a baton.

its clear by releasing a button to rapidly open a device that is what it is. Manually doing it wouldn't apply? I could see like a switch/another type of button/key remote button?

I might visit a family who works for a lawyer, thought I ask you guys if you knew. I think its legal so far?

I sure wish search worked better. This is a deceased horse that's been beaten with a hickory stick, night stick and spring stick.

A spring stick is like a switch ASP. If it doesn't have a spring, it isn't a spring stick. An ASP is legal.
What else is there to know.

Sure you can ask the AG. Just give him a call tomorrow. Ken old buddy, let's rap over these Webster Definitions...

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

I sure wish search worked better. This is a deceased horse that's been beaten with a hickory stick, night stick and spring stick.

A spring stick is like a switch ASP. If it doesn't have a spring, it isn't a spring stick. An ASP is legal.
What else is there to know.

Thats what I thought, no springs/automaticly way to open, all manual. So thus "not spring stick"

Marco

ASP makes a Baton that has a pocket clip which is pretty handy. The BC12 extends 12" and the BC16 extends to 16" both fit into a rear or cargo pocket or can be worn on the belt.

I like the BC16" w/hindi end cap