• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving from Bama to Ohio

eye95

A week from Friday, I hit the road for Fairborn in the Dayton area. The Exchange has hired me to run their gun counter.

So I am hoping for some good advice about transporting my firearms to my new digs and about keeping and bearing those arms in my new home State.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I just moved and had to move my 30+ firearms through the unfriendly state of Maryland. I had no problems and could offer some advice. Couple questions...about how many firearms are you trying to move? Are you renting a moving truck or hiring a moving company or doing it yourself?

eye95

Initially, it is just me moving, so I will be taking very few of my possessions and only two handguns. Everything else will stay in AL until the house sells and the rest of the family joins me. So I'll just be taking the one vehicle and no trailer.

N605TW

Activist Member
Welcome to the Buckeye State. I made the trip back home last year without issue.
You should have a CHL/CHP/permission slip that is honored in Ohio and that will get rid of most of the snags in the law (mainly the idiotic law that says any loaded* firearm in/on a vehicle is concealed)
I haven't had too many problems with the local LEOs. Been stopped a few times but the encounters lasted around 30 seconds and I never had to produce ID or been disarmed.
I hope you enjoy your new home.

eye95

Welcome to the Buckeye State. I made the trip back home last year without issue.
You should have a CHL/CHP/permission slip that is honored in Ohio and that will get rid of most of the snags in the law (mainly the idiotic law that says any loaded* firearm in/on a vehicle is concealed)
I haven't had too many problems with the local LEOs. Been stopped a few times but the encounters lasted around 30 seconds and I never had to produce ID or been disarmed.
I hope you enjoy your new home.

Are you saying that OH (like AL) requires a license to conceal to carry in a car? If so, that's a pity.

Thanks for the welcome. My son lives in Columbus, btw.

Is getting a permit/license/whatevertheycallit difficult in OH? In AL, you fill out the form and give 'em twenty bucks.

Brian D.

Are you saying that OH (like AL) requires a license to conceal to carry in a car? If so, that's a pity.

Thanks for the welcome. My son lives in Columbus, btw.

Is getting a permit/license/whatevertheycallit difficult in OH? In AL, you fill out the form and give 'em twenty bucks.

Yes, you'll need a carry license to have a loaded handgun in the car, and also when on board a motorcycle. (Not allowed to do so with a long gun regardless of license.) Without the license to have to transport any firearms unloaded, for which Ohio has a strange definition: No ammo may be in any magazine or speedloader, nor in the gun itself of course.

As to the difficulty of obtaining an Ohio CHL, you'll need proof of passing a firearms safety course, twelve hours minimun in length, which counts two hours of range time. There are certain requirments as to the classroom portion as well, look at the Ohio AG office site for details. After fulfilling the class requirement you'll have to apply for the license at the sheriff's office in your own, or directly adjoining county. This involves a fee (which varies depending on how long you've lived in Ohio), background check, and fingerprinting. Again, check the AG's and county sheriff's site where you plan to apply for all the specifics, counties vary some as to exact procedures.

Assuming you're green lighted, the sheriff "shall issue" (that language is one of the good things we have) your license within 45 days. Some counties mail them out, others require you to pick them up in person.

Last edited:

dsk

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Since it's just yourself, the best bet would be to unload everything and case and lock the pistols in the truck. I transported my carry gun and a few select rifles in that manner. It's not required but I usually lock the ammunition in a separate container. That being said if you are going through any unfriendly states it is best only ro top for food or gas if absolutely necessary. I also paid some extra attention to the road to minimize my chances of being pulled over. You are covered under FOPA.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

eye95

Thanks all for the good info.

The only reason I'll get the permission slip will be to carry in my car. Frankly, I don't get the idea of having to take a safety course to gains State permission to put fabric over a gun, but since I need that paper to reasonably transport myself with the gun, I'll go through the hassle.

If the only reason for the permit was to allow concealment, I'd have no problem; I would just not conceal, and the State could save the paper. But needing the paper to carry in a car is, to me, the infringement that the requirement presents.

The States I will be passing through are actually friendlier to my carry than Ohio is.

See you around the base, Makarov. Stop by the gun counter, and I'll be happy to help you increase your arsenal. ;-)

MyWifeSaidYes

There was a lot of give and take with our rights in the process of legalizing concealed carry in Ohio.

We are continuously trying to revise the laws regarding CC, but those wheels turn slowly.

Before you get an Ohio CHL:

-don't carry concealed

-don't get into a vehicle (that includes ON a motorcycle) with a loaded firearm (no loaded magazines or speedloaders)

-don't get within 1000 feet of a school zone with a loaded gun, unless on private property.

-don't carry into any area where alcohol is sold for consumption.

To get your CHL (short for Ohio License To Carry A Concealed Handgun), you'll need:

-to be a resident of Ohio for 45 days, the last 30 days in the same county

-to get your Ohio Driver License

-to take a "training" class (your address on your certificate should match your Ohio Driver License). You can also provide other documentation in lieu of a class. These are listed in the AG's CC manual.

-to get a 2"x2" passport photo taken to submit with application (if your sheriff doesn't provide this service, most drug stores do, or you can print your own)

-to know all your addresses you've had since you were eighteen (to the best of your knowledge)

-to pay $91.00 with your application. This covers the CHL application AND the FBI background check since you have not lived in Ohio for at least 5 years (actual price MIGHT be different in your county)

After you get your CHL:

DON'T FORGET TO NOTIFY! When stopped for ANY law enforcement purpose, you'll have to "promptly" notify ALL LEO's that approach you that you have a CHL and that you are armed.

Ohio is where the infamous "Canton incident" happened with Officer Harless.

Of course there may be things I'm leaving out of these lists, but that's the benefit of these forums...SOMEONE will point out my mistakes and shortcomings. :lol:

Have fun jumping through hoops and I hope it goes smoothly for you!

eye95

Good depth of info there!

The Exchange is going to put me through three kinds of background ringers to be able to sell guns. You'd think that would qualify me to carry. I'll have to check on the possibility of double-duty on those checks. Not optimistic, though.

How long is the CHL good for, and what is the renewal fee? I hope it ain't $91 a year!

MyWifeSaidYes

Back seat? I drive a pickup...oh, never mind! :banana:

What is the Exchange? Is that the Base/Post Exchange at Wright-Patt?

Can a lowly civilian get in there?

eye95

Back seat? I drive a pickup...oh, never mind! :banana:

What is the Exchange? Is that the Base/Post Exchange at Wright-Patt?

Can a lowly civilian get in there?

Yes and no. Well, you can come in if you can get on the base. You just have to have an ID with Exchange privileges to actually buy stuff.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
If this has been posted before, my apologies:

In Ohio, a loaded magazine or loaded speedloader = loaded gun, whether or not it's in the gun.

eye95

Yeah, I've seen that silly little bit of law before. It wouldn't bother me if I could OC in a car without a permit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
By the way, Welcome to Ohio.

Just so you know, if you decide to wade off the Ohio side of the river bank into the great Ohio river just twenty feet out you will be in Kentucky. That's correct, Kentucky owns the majority of the Ohio river. And contrary to the states claims that Ohio became a state in 1803 it actually became a state in 1953 only by a decree of congress.

And the most important thing you need to know is that Ohio will be responsible for Mitt Romney becoming our next president of the USA.