• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Issued Citation for OC'ing In My Driveway Tonight... 5 Squad Cars Necessary?

boyscout399

Personally, I would go in and file a complaint. Bring the state preemption statute with you and ask to speak with the captain. I would also seriously consider filing suit. Because you were issued a citation you now have clear grounds for the suit.

MainelyGlock

Personally, I would go in and file a complaint. Bring the state preemption statute with you and ask to speak with the captain. I would also seriously consider filing suit. Because you were issued a citation you now have clear grounds for the suit.

Ok, I will go in instead of calling. It would have to wait until a week from now when it's my day off though, because of my class and work schedule. If the Captain is not available to speak with, should I file with whomever is next in command?

How would I go about filing a lawsuit?

david.ross

Ok, I will go in instead of calling. It would have to wait until a week from now when it's my day off though, because of my class and work schedule. If the Captain is not available to speak with, should I file with whomever is next in command?

How would I go about filing a lawsuit?

Don't wait to call, speak with the captain today when you have a few moments.

MainelyGlock

Don't wait to call, speak with the captain today when you have a few moments.

I work 5AM-1PM, then have class from 2:30PM to 8:45PM. I wish I had time to do it today. Wednesday I have a few hours between work and class, but it makes me nervous not knowing how long it's going to take because I am not allowed to miss any classes.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I was trying to do the right thing by alerting those on scene to my firearm so as to not freak them out... and look what happened ha. Very sad indeed. The attitudes of the majority of the officers were concerning, but not what I'm focused on. I was told I was violating a city ordnance while I was still on private property, then was led onto the sidewalk. Does that make a difference?

I would think that unless they commanded you onto public land your view may not prevail; if they did then estoppel may attach.

davidmcbeth

Banned

I would not recommend calling or talking to any policeman .. anything you say can and will be used against you ..

jdholmes

I'm sure it will be dropped re: preemption....BUT...didn't you just say that it wasn't actually your property? The officer asks where you live and you say you are actually house sitting for your mom. That makes it your moms property, not yours...unless I am missing something.

MainelyGlock

I'm sure it will be dropped re: preemption....BUT...didn't you just say that it wasn't actually your property? The officer asks where you live and you say you are actually house sitting for your mom. That makes it your moms property, not yours...unless I am missing something.

I hope so.

You might be correct. It might make a difference since I have been residing there for the past week, or since we are related, or because that address has been listed as a past address for me. I still have my state I.D. with that address listed on the front. I will look into that though; thank you for bringing it up!

boyscout399

Doesn't matter if it was private property or public property, the police cannot issue a citation for carrying a firearm where allowed by state law.

SPOProds

This and OC when you file the complaint. Police Departments may not prohibit firearms.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

SPOProds

Portland's certainly does. Or it's posted, rather.

PDs fall under preemption as well. Frack their sign. Portland PD knows this, boyscout and flashlight have both pointed this out to them.

Does the sign say "no firearms" or "no weapons"? They can prohibit any item except firearms.

MainelyGlock

PDs fall under preemption as well. Frack their sign. Portland PD knows this, boyscout and flashlight have both pointed this out to them.

Does the sign say "no firearms" or "no weapons"? They can prohibit any item except firearms.

I might buy a blue Glock training gun to carry in places like that. How did it go for them?

Edit: I'm not sure of the exact wording of the sign. I'll let you know soon once I go in to file a complaint.

Last edited:

boyscout399

I might buy a blue Glock training gun to carry in places like that. How did it go for them?

Edit: I'm not sure of the exact wording of the sign. I'll let you know soon once I go in to file a complaint.

Flashlight was allowed to carry both times he went in, I was not. Both times they locked my gun in the armory while I was filing the complaint.

SPOProds

I believe they both filed their complaints without issue. They had to educate slightly. I had the same issue with Orono PD. I emailed them and supposedly the sign has been altered, I have not been back to check though.

A blue gun will not make a point to a LEO, a regular civilian maybe. IMHO I don't like the blue gun idea. YMMV

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The cops KNEW you were armed. You have the 911 tapes to prove it if they lie. Under color of authority, they told you to step off your property. This is lawsuit #1.

State preemption violated by citation from the city and its enforcers. Lawsuit #2.