• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AR15 Pistol Questions

shastadude17

I suppose this is technically the proper place for this thread =P

This weekend I got the ball rolling on my AR15 pistol project by purchasing a Tactical Weapons Solutions AR15 pistol lower. Now the tricky part is finding a suitable upper. My budget is around 600 bucks, plus or minus. I've been looking for a while now, and I'm dead set on a 10.5" barrel with a lightweight quad rail, flat top, and a rail on the gas block so I can mount a flip up front sight.

Wanted to know if I should roll 1:9 twist or 1:7 twist, I plan on mainly shooting 55 grain and 62 grain, not really concerned about going up to 77 or anything crazy.

Also wanted to know if anyone had experience with the Fail Zero bolt carrier groups, and if it is necessary to have a gunsmith headspace them or if you can just drop them in.

Not looking for any super operator neckbeard tacticool high speed flash suppressors or gadgets, a simple A2 flash hider and charging handle will do fine. If I have to buy a bolt carrier group and charging handle separately, or even the rails, I'm fine with that. Just not really sure which upper to buy! Thx guys.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I routinely shoot 69- and 70-grain bullets with my 1:9 twist. I believe that is the better choice for 55-grain as well.

shastadude17

What length on your barrel Mac? And they have some cool 7.5 inchers at RedX for sure. Right after I posted this I found the RRA uppers and LMT uppers and I think I'm leaning towards those even though they have fixed front sights, not really sure what kind of rail system to get though. Anyone have any experience with different quad rails?

jeeper1

Go with the 1 in 9 twist. The 1 in 7 twist was designed for the 62 grain and heavier bullets.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I recently completed an AR15 pistol. Took about twenty minute to assemble from a kit. Paid US$530 for the kit, including all parts but the stripped lower. As you see, 10.5 barrel in 5.56 with railed gas block and extended latch. Piece of cake to assemble and it shoots like a dream. M1 Sales

Jayd1981

I built an AR-15 pistol last year. Purchased my upper from model1sales. They are a fun toy. One thing I learned is that the gas system wasn't designed for such a short barrel and it had a tendency to not be able to extract the round after firing. I had to use a heavy duty extractor spring to be able to overcome that. I would not worry about headspacing the bolt, just use a new bolt with a new barrel.

REALteach4u

I'm not big on the AR pistols, so I have an odd-duck of a question to go with the OP.

Given that it will be a short barrel, how much will that impact the twist ratios for those shorter barrels?

I'm wondering if the shorter barrel makes it a moot point (say on the length of the Rock River PDS) as is the case with snub nosed revolvers in the world of +P where because of the shorter barrel length you do not obtain enough of a powder burn, thus making the twist almost a dead issue. Would the AR pistol fall within this same type of issue?

I know some companies have added extra grooves to compensate for shorter barrels. Thoughts?

Here's the PDS by the way and I would love to have one, but I have no true purpose other than it being a $1000 toy.
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/rock-river-arms-pds-556mm-2/

Jayd1981

As far as I understand, the bullet will spin at the same rate regardless if the barrel is 10" or 20". But the powder will still be burning when the bullet leaves the barrel with the shorter barrel, that will effect the velocity of the barrel. For example an AR with a 20" barrel will give 200fps more than an AR with a 16" barrel. However you can get a cool fireball with shorter barrels, such as Mosin Nagant carbines. Those create quite the fireball.