Thread: Va. Crime Commission to examine concealed gun law

Va. Crime Commission to examine concealed gun law

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/10/va-c...cealed-gun-law

Does anyone have any information on this? From the information in the article it's got me a little nervous.

Here's the full story, with links for each step of the process to date.

stay safe.

http://vscc.virginia.gov/studies.asp

Reorganizing and Recodifying Concealed Weapons Law HB 923

The Crime Commission was requested to review new legislation that would reorganize the concealed weapons statute. Staff will review current statutes for changes and, if found, compile a list of additional statutes that will need to be amended if the concealed statute is reorganized.
    http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...=bil&val=hb923
    SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:

Reorganizing and recodifying the law related to carrying concealed weapons and concealed handgun permits. Reorganizes the existing § 18.2-308 into a new Article 6.1 in Chapter 7 of Title 18.2. The new article creates separate, discrete sections to address the general criminal prohibition against carrying concealed weapons; the requirements for applying for a concealed handgun permit; the process the circuit court follows in reviewing, issuing, and denying permits; the appeals process; procedures for nonresidents to obtain permits; the renewal process; disqualifications; and other procedural issues currently addressed in § 18.2-308. The bill also contains numerous technical amendments. This bill does not make any substantive changes to existing law. [empasis added]

FULL TEXT

HISTORY

"He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    This bill does not make any substantive changes to existing law. [empasis added]

YET !

If you build it, they will come.

I'm curious too. If you see the usual suspects come out of that meeting (Brady Bunch) then it's a call to action.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

I recommend a simple change. Delete all and make Virginia the fifth Constitutional Carry state.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

preach it

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    I recommend a simple change. Delete all and make Virginia the fifth Constitutional Carry state.
    amen thundar

No substantive changes. But as usual the devil is in the details.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    No substantive changes. But as usual the devil is in the details.
    The only change is that if you carry, every 5 seconds you must yell out "I am legally carrying a handgun" ... even in your sleep.

That would be a superb change. In a perfect world, every state would have Constitutional Carry. I'm going to dream about it.

I've been watching a sci-fi action movie called Revolution (on Hulu). One thing that is made abundantly clear is that the owning of any firearm by any other than a militia member is a hanging offense. The lead villian's name is Monroe. Interesting that firearm control is a primary theme in this show.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

This is how I feel, and what the VCDL should be pushing for.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Y'all mean, as if Article 1, Section 13 of the Va. Constitution actually meant something?

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    I've been watching a sci-fi action movie called Revolution (on Hulu). One thing that is made abundantly clear is that the owning of any firearm by any other than a militia member is a hanging offense. The lead villian's name is Monroe. Interesting that firearm control is a primary theme in this show.
    I started watching that show last night (also on Hulu) and I thought it was pretty chilling how they drew that parallel between an unarmed citizenry and an unjust/tyrannical military state. I wonder if that was the intent of the show's creator?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    This is how I feel, and what the VCDL should be pushing for.
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Y'all mean, as if Article 1, Section 13 of the Va. Constitution actually meant something?
    VCDL desires Constitutional Carry and is acutely aware that the membership is of a similar mind.

The only things standing between us and that holy grail are politicians who do not acknowledge supremacy of our Constitution and do not trust the people of the Commonwealth of Virginia. There is still much work to be done - it is an on going project.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    VCDL desires Constitutional Carry and is acutely aware that the membership is of a similar mind.

The only things standing between us and that holy grail are politicians who do not acknowledge supremacy of our Constitution and do not trust the people of the Commonwealth of Virginia. There is still much work to be done - it is an on going project.
    The issue of trust perhaps goes both ways, but the politicians should be subordinate to the people in all things lest tyranny rule.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    The issue of trust perhaps goes both ways, but the politicians should be subordinate to the people in all things lest tyranny rule.
    That is one of the areas requiring more work/success
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

An interesting dilemma

I would be surprised if this has never happened before, but just for kicks...

How do you address a bill to completely reformat a section of code during the same session where there will be dozens of other bills that propose changes to the bill in its old format?

The bill that the Crime Commission studied is already outdated, as the section of code was modified by several bills last year.

It would seem that such a reformatting effort would have to take place "off-session", while no other bills were under consideration.

OR, the authors of the other bills would have to submit dual versions, one for the current section and one for the proposed newly formatted sections.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

How do you address a bill to completely reformat a section of code during the same session where there will be dozens of other bills that propose changes to the bill in its old format?

The bill that the Crime Commission studied is already outdated, as the section of code was modified by several bills last year.

It would seem that such a reformatting effort would have to take place "off-session", while no other bills were under consideration.

OR, the authors of the other bills would have to submit dual versions, one for the current section and one for the proposed newly formatted sections.

TFred
    Makes too much sense maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

TFred
    Assuming it doesn't make major changes or open the door to adverse changes, it could be a good thing TFred. The biggest problem with John's Constitutional carry bill last year, was it was too long. By necessity his bill changed numerous sections of the code. Having everything in one section would streamline the process...of course it could do the same thing for more restrictive legislation too.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Assuming it doesn't make major changes or open the door to adverse changes, it could be a good thing TFred. The biggest problem with John's Constitutional carry bill last year, was it was too long. By necessity his bill changed numerous sections of the code. Having everything in one section would streamline the process...of course it could do the same thing for more restrictive legislation too.
    Let's hope they don't undo this provision:

If a handgun is secured in a container, it may be un/loaded (18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited C.(vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container.was rendered null by 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry; penalty B.10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel;because this clause was incorporated into 18.2-308.1) You just can't take the container with you if you exit the vehicle.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post

If a handgun is secured in a container, it may be un/loaded (18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited C.(vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container.was rendered null by 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry; penalty B.10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel;because this clause was incorporated into 18.2-308.1) You just can't take the container with you if you exit the vehicle.
    Why can't they take the container with them when they exit the vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Why can't they take the container with them when they exit the vehicle?
    Because you'd be carrying a concealed handgun (it's in the container) on school grounds.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Because you'd be carrying a concealed handgun (it's in the container) on school grounds.
    Ah so - wasn't relating to school grounds.

Let's hope they don't take a lot of things or worse yet, give us something new.

A few people actually pay attention to my ranting about CHP's. There are two main problems with them with reference to this proposed reorganization.

1. The Government givith and the Government taketh away.

2. When bills are consolidated to put EVERYTHING in one container, separate issues sometimes get sneaked in.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Let's hope they don't take a lot of things or worse yet, give us something new.

A few people actually pay attention to my ranting about CHP's. There are two main problems with them with reference to this proposed reorganization.

1. The Government givith and the Government taketh away.

2. When bills are consolidated to put EVERYTHING in one container, separate issues sometimes get sneaked in.
    True enough.

Watch carefully. That "One Container" may resemble a magician's black hat.

Consolidating the CC statutes may serve as a primer to codifying "Castle Doctrine".

Member VCDL, NRA