Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: show CHP as ID to vote this year?

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar

show CHP as ID to vote this year?

I wonder if we should do this in November at the polling places: Instead of showing a voter registration card, or drivers license, or power bill, or whatever else forms of identification is acceptable to vote here in Virginia, I want to present ONLY my CHP, and be allowed to vote, as is permitted now, by what I understand. We could wear our voice recorders and maybe get some good recordings of any possible resistance to be allowed to vote. If the bums, illegals, and "occupy" protestors can be allowed to vote with no picture ID, then by golly, so should I, a working, tax-paying, land-owning, military veteran! We should ALL do this across OCDO Virginia! Poll workers will be surprised just how many of us there are, and that we VOTE. Word will get around, believe me. What do you think? Are you with me? (Sorry PN, for PFP. I still OC. Let's all cooperate for the benefit of the 2A ).

((Paradoxical Quote of The Day From Ben Stein:

"Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

Now add this, "Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens."

Think about it when you vote in November ! ))
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

I don't see showing your permit as advancing 2A... It's just using an approved form of ID. Have the VA code with you if you do so you can put the smack down on anyone trying to deny your right to vote.

I'll OC.

Surprising fact Greene County has apprx 3400 permit holders yet the County population is just <20,000.

edit:
    OP, forgive me as I forgot about those that don't have the option to carry because of their polling location.
    Last edited by Marco; 10-02-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: my mistake...
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

As I cannot carry at all in my polling place (elementary school), I was planning to go with an empty holster, and use my CHP as identification.

Founder's Club Member
    I noticed that sheet from which I am supposed to remove my voter card says I can use the voter card as ID at the polls.

Maybe I can just swagger in with a deep drawl, redneck clothes, and a mason jar of moonshine to prove I am a VA resident. Well. maybe not. They'd just say I'm s'posed to vote in Rockingham County.

I'll have to check into the voter ID statute and see what is required. And, the limit of the polling officials authority.
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-02-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Thanks Riana...

I had forgotten the opportunity to express my displeasure with the stripping of my rights by the government at my polling place. The elementary school location makes any carry illegal. I shall bring back the "tactical bananna", carrying the largest available bananna in my holster. It worked well on the Washington Mall.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

An ID of any kind (much less one with a photo) is not even actually required in VA. If one chooses they can simply sign an Affirmation of Identity and they are able to cast a ballot. Now, having served as an election official it does make the job much easier if folks just provide an ID.

Cite-I served as a Fairfax County election official for pretty much every election in the last 8 years.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-02-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    An ID is not even actually required in VA. If one chooses they can simply sign an Affirmation of Identity and they are able to cast a ballot. Cite-I served as a Fairfax County election official for pretty much every election in the last 8 years.
    I don't have a CHP. You reckon I could just show them a pitcher of my big gun?
    I try to keep it concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Haha, as long as you sign the affirmation of identity form at the same time......

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    I had forgotten the opportunity to express my displeasure with the stripping of my rights by the government at my polling place. The elementary school location makes any carry illegal. I shall bring back the "tactical bananna", carrying the largest available bananna in my holster. It worked well on the Washington Mall.
    I recommend that you carry your tactical banana in a flap holster.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    Uh. . .uh.. . . . .you better check with Ms. Nap on that, hoss. I met her at the NN picnic, and she seemed nice, but just sayin, to be sure first . . . . . .
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Moderator / Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    An ID of any kind (much less one with a photo) is not even actually required in VA. If one chooses they can simply sign an Affirmation of Identity and they are able to cast a ballot. Now, having served as an election official it does make the job much easier if folks just provide an ID.

Cite-I served as a Fairfax County election official for pretty much every election in the last 8 years.
    No, they changed the law last general assembly session, no approved ID? Then your provisional ballot will be taken, but not counted . . . unless you bring ID in ASAP afterwards.

I have used my CHP the last two elections. Showed nothing else. I was questioned by the woman checking thr rolls, but approved by the supervisor. The law says government issued ID. Mike, was this verbage changed?

Love the tactical banana idea!
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    No, they changed the law last general assembly session, no approved ID? Then your provisional ballot will be taken, but not counted . . . unless you bring ID in ASAP afterwards.
    Well that's what I get for moving out of state...can you provide a link to the new law?

We've been voting in this country for well over 200 years, but photography has only existed for a little over 150 years.

Should we question the votes cast by all those folks in pre-photo times? After all, only the well to do had family portraits painted. The most common alternative likenesses (sketches) that were published were wanted posters, and many of those individuals were (likely) OCing, so no CHP to use for ID.

It's good to know that we've finally got this problem under control.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Cite, please.

VA Code 22.2-643
    B. An officer of election shall ask the voter for his full name and current residence address and repeat, in a voice audible to party and candidate representatives present, the full name and address stated by the voter. The officer shall ask the voter to present any one of the following forms of identification: his Commonwealth of Virginia voter registration card, his social security card, his valid Virginia driver's license, his concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to § 18.2-308, or any other identification card issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth, one of its political subdivisions, or the United States; any valid student identification card issued by any institution of higher education located in the Commonwealth of Virginia; any valid employee identification card containing a photograph of the voter and issued by an employer of the voter in the ordinary course of the employer's business; or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, or paycheck that shows the name and address of the voter.

Any voter who does not show one of the forms of identification specified in this subsection shall be offered a provisional ballot under the provisions of § 24.2-653. The State Board of Elections shall provide an ID-ONLY provisional ballot envelope that requires no follow-up action by the registrar or electoral board other than matching submitted identification documents from the voter for the electoral board to make a determination on whether to count the ballot.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+24.2-643
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-03-2012 at 12:33 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

To the best of my recollection, I have used only my voter registration card for ID for every vote I've ever cast. Never once showed a picture.

As Citizen provided, the law was changed this year to include CHPs in the long list of acceptable IDs. I doubt anyone will have trouble, these laws don't really change that much, so I would suppose it's a rather well known change. I could be wrong of course... I guess we'll have to see.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Cite, please.

VA Code 22.2-643
    B. An officer of election shall ask the voter for his full name and current residence address and repeat, in a voice audible to party and candidate representatives present, the full name and address stated by the voter. The officer shall ask the voter to present any one of the following forms of identification: his Commonwealth of Virginia voter registration card, his social security card, his valid Virginia driver's license, his concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to § 18.2-308, or any other identification card issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth, one of its political subdivisions, or the United States; any valid student identification card issued by any institution of higher education located in the Commonwealth of Virginia; any valid employee identification card containing a photograph of the voter and issued by an employer of the voter in the ordinary course of the employer's business; or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, or paycheck that shows the name and address of the voter.

Any voter who does not show one of the forms of identification specified in this subsection shall be offered a provisional ballot under the provisions of § 24.2-653. The State Board of Elections shall provide an ID-ONLY provisional ballot envelope that requires no follow-up action by the registrar or electoral board other than matching submitted identification documents from the voter for the electoral board to make a determination on whether to count the ballot.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+24.2-643
    My bank statement shows the wifes name too! How they gonna know which I is?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    You jest, but it is fairly common to have two names on a bank statement that would not be so easy to tell apart. For many years after I was 18, my father's name was still on the statement for my first savings account.

TFred

This should identify you rather than your wife:

Peter Nap Said:
    Last edited by peter nap; 10-03-2012 at 07:57 AM.

There are special Federal requirements for ID for first-time voters.

In nearly all cases, the Virginia identification requirements mirror and satisfy the federal ID requirements. However, a social security card does not satisfy the federal ID requirements, if you are a first-time voter who fits the criteria listed in this section. Please also remember that the federal ID requirements apply to both absentee voting and voting at the polling place on Election Day.
    http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/votinginperson.html

Am I the only one that's uncomfortable with all the ID Bull$hit?

Am I the only one that's uncomfortable with all the ID Bull$hit?

Nope....
    ID.. My word/signature is good enough.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Moderator / Administrator
    [QUOTE=riverrat10k;1833577]I have used my CHP the last two elections. Showed nothing else. I was questioned by the woman checking thr rolls, but approved by the supervisor. The law says government issued ID. Mike, was this verbage changed?
    QUOTE]

The old law had a few forms of ID allowed, not gov ID generally, and not CHP. New law added some IDs, like CHPs, but also changed presumption of affirmation of identity to that which gets no vote unless you bring in ID later.

Remember those intrusive body scanning xray machines the TSA had all those complaints about showing a little too much detail? Well they're being installed everywhere that the votes are cast . They'll surely be able to distinguish you from your wife.

[QUOTE=Mike;1834084]
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    I have used my CHP the last two elections. Showed nothing else. I was questioned by the woman checking thr rolls, but approved by the supervisor. The law says government issued ID. Mike, was this verbage changed?
    QUOTE]

The old law had a few forms of ID allowed, not gov ID generally, and not CHP. New law added some IDs, like CHPs, but also changed presumption of affirmation of identity to that which gets no vote unless you bring in ID later.
    MY understanding, no cite, was the old law said "government issued ID". I, and many, considered the CHP a government issued ID. As I stated, I was allowed to vote showing only the CHP for the last 4 years.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast