• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

show CHP as ID to vote this year?

Old Virginia Joe

I wonder if we should do this in November at the polling places: Instead of showing a voter registration card, or drivers license, or power bill, or whatever else forms of identification is acceptable to vote here in Virginia, I want to present ONLY my CHP, and be allowed to vote, as is permitted now, by what I understand. We could wear our voice recorders and maybe get some good recordings of any possible resistance to be allowed to vote. If the bums, illegals, and "occupy" protestors can be allowed to vote with no picture ID, then by golly, so should I, a working, tax-paying, land-owning, military veteran! We should ALL do this across OCDO Virginia! Poll workers will be surprised just how many of us there are, and that we VOTE. Word will get around, believe me. What do you think? Are you with me? (Sorry PN, for PFP. I still OC. Let's all cooperate for the benefit of the 2A ).

((Paradoxical Quote of The Day From Ben Stein:

"Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

Now add this, "Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens."

Think about it when you vote in November ! ))

Marco

I don't see showing your permit as advancing 2A... It's just using an approved form of ID. Have the VA code with you if you do so you can put the smack down on anyone trying to deny your right to vote.

I'll OC.

Surprising fact Greene County has apprx 3400 permit holders yet the County population is just <20,000.

edit:
OP, forgive me as I forgot about those that don't have the option to carry because of their polling location.

Last edited:

Riana

As I cannot carry at all in my polling place (elementary school), I was planning to go with an empty holster, and use my CHP as identification.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I noticed that sheet from which I am supposed to remove my voter card says I can use the voter card as ID at the polls.

Maybe I can just swagger in with a deep drawl, redneck clothes, and a mason jar of moonshine to prove I am a VA resident. Well. maybe not. They'd just say I'm s'posed to vote in Rockingham County.

I'll have to check into the voter ID statute and see what is required. And, the limit of the polling officials authority.

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

Thanks Riana...

I had forgotten the opportunity to express my displeasure with the stripping of my rights by the government at my polling place. The elementary school location makes any carry illegal. I shall bring back the "tactical bananna", carrying the largest available bananna in my holster. It worked well on the Washington Mall.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
An ID of any kind (much less one with a photo) is not even actually required in VA. If one chooses they can simply sign an Affirmation of Identity and they are able to cast a ballot. Now, having served as an election official it does make the job much easier if folks just provide an ID.

Cite-I served as a Fairfax County election official for pretty much every election in the last 8 years.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
An ID is not even actually required in VA. If one chooses they can simply sign an Affirmation of Identity and they are able to cast a ballot. Cite-I served as a Fairfax County election official for pretty much every election in the last 8 years.

I don't have a CHP. You reckon I could just show them a pitcher of my big gun?:eek:
I try to keep it concealed.

Thundar

I had forgotten the opportunity to express my displeasure with the stripping of my rights by the government at my polling place. The elementary school location makes any carry illegal. I shall bring back the "tactical bananna", carrying the largest available bananna in my holster. It worked well on the Washington Mall.

I recommend that you carry your tactical banana in a flap holster.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
An ID of any kind (much less one with a photo) is not even actually required in VA. If one chooses they can simply sign an Affirmation of Identity and they are able to cast a ballot. Now, having served as an election official it does make the job much easier if folks just provide an ID.

Cite-I served as a Fairfax County election official for pretty much every election in the last 8 years.

No, they changed the law last general assembly session, no approved ID? Then your provisional ballot will be taken, but not counted . . . unless you bring ID in ASAP afterwards.

riverrat10k

I have used my CHP the last two elections. Showed nothing else. I was questioned by the woman checking thr rolls, but approved by the supervisor. The law says government issued ID. Mike, was this verbage changed?

Love the tactical banana idea!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
No, they changed the law last general assembly session, no approved ID? Then your provisional ballot will be taken, but not counted . . . unless you bring ID in ASAP afterwards.

Well that's what I get for moving out of state...can you provide a link to the new law?

2a4all

We've been voting in this country for well over 200 years, but photography has only existed for a little over 150 years.

Should we question the votes cast by all those folks in pre-photo times? After all, only the well to do had family portraits painted. The most common alternative likenesses (sketches) that were published were wanted posters, and many of those individuals were (likely) OCing, so no CHP to use for ID.

It's good to know that we've finally got this problem under control.:eek:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

[STRIKE]Cite, please.[/STRIKE] :D

VA Code 22.2-643
B. An officer of election shall ask the voter for his full name and current residence address and repeat, in a voice audible to party and candidate representatives present, the full name and address stated by the voter. The officer shall ask the voter to present any one of the following forms of identification: his Commonwealth of Virginia voter registration card, his social security card, his valid Virginia driver's license, his concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to § 18.2-308, or any other identification card issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth, one of its political subdivisions, or the United States; any valid student identification card issued by any institution of higher education located in the Commonwealth of Virginia; any valid employee identification card containing a photograph of the voter and issued by an employer of the voter in the ordinary course of the employer's business; or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, or paycheck that shows the name and address of the voter.

Any voter who does not show one of the forms of identification specified in this subsection shall be offered a provisional ballot under the provisions of § 24.2-653. The State Board of Elections shall provide an ID-ONLY provisional ballot envelope that requires no follow-up action by the registrar or electoral board other than matching submitted identification documents from the voter for the electoral board to make a determination on whether to count the ballot.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+24.2-643

Last edited:

TFred

To the best of my recollection, I have used only my voter registration card for ID for every vote I've ever cast. Never once showed a picture.

As Citizen provided, the law was changed this year to include CHPs in the long list of acceptable IDs. I doubt anyone will have trouble, these laws don't really change that much, so I would suppose it's a rather well known change. I could be wrong of course... I guess we'll have to see.

TFred

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
[STRIKE]Cite, please.[/STRIKE] :D

VA Code 22.2-643
B. An officer of election shall ask the voter for his full name and current residence address and repeat, in a voice audible to party and candidate representatives present, the full name and address stated by the voter. The officer shall ask the voter to present any one of the following forms of identification: his Commonwealth of Virginia voter registration card, his social security card, his valid Virginia driver's license, his concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to § 18.2-308, or any other identification card issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth, one of its political subdivisions, or the United States; any valid student identification card issued by any institution of higher education located in the Commonwealth of Virginia; any valid employee identification card containing a photograph of the voter and issued by an employer of the voter in the ordinary course of the employer's business; or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, or paycheck that shows the name and address of the voter.

Any voter who does not show one of the forms of identification specified in this subsection shall be offered a provisional ballot under the provisions of § 24.2-653. The State Board of Elections shall provide an ID-ONLY provisional ballot envelope that requires no follow-up action by the registrar or electoral board other than matching submitted identification documents from the voter for the electoral board to make a determination on whether to count the ballot.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+24.2-643
My bank statement shows the wifes name too! How they gonna know which I is? :cool:

lax

There are special Federal requirements for ID for first-time voters.

In nearly all cases, the Virginia identification requirements mirror and satisfy the federal ID requirements. However, a social security card does not satisfy the federal ID requirements, if you are a first-time voter who fits the criteria listed in this section. Please also remember that the federal ID requirements apply to both absentee voting and voting at the polling place on Election Day.

http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/votinginperson.html