• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

show CHP as ID to vote this year?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
I have used my CHP the last two elections. Showed nothing else. I was questioned by the woman checking thr rolls, but approved by the supervisor. The law says government issued ID. Mike, was this verbage changed?
QUOTE]

The old law had a few forms of ID allowed, not gov ID generally, and not CHP. New law added some IDs, like CHPs, but also changed presumption of affirmation of identity to that which gets no vote unless you bring in ID later.

scouser

My bank statement shows the wifes name too! How they gonna know which I is? :cool:

Remember those intrusive body scanning xray machines the TSA had all those complaints about showing a little too much detail? Well they're being installed everywhere that the votes are cast :lol:. They'll surely be able to distinguish you from your wife.

riverrat10k

I have used my CHP the last two elections. Showed nothing else. I was questioned by the woman checking thr rolls, but approved by the supervisor. The law says government issued ID. Mike, was this verbage changed?
QUOTE]

The old law had a few forms of ID allowed, not gov ID generally, and not CHP. New law added some IDs, like CHPs, but also changed presumption of affirmation of identity to that which gets no vote unless you bring in ID later.

MY understanding, no cite, was the old law said "government issued ID". I, and many, considered the CHP a government issued ID. As I stated, I was allowed to vote showing only the CHP for the last 4 years.

va_tazdad

Not all "government IDs" are accepted

I wonder if we should do this in November at the polling places: Instead of showing a voter registration card, or drivers license, or power bill, or whatever else forms of identification is acceptable to vote here in Virginia, I want to present ONLY my CHP, and be allowed to vote, as is permitted now, by what I understand. We could wear our voice recorders and maybe get some good recordings of any possible resistance to be allowed to vote. If the bums, illegals, and "occupy" protestors can be allowed to vote with no picture ID, then by golly, so should I, a working, tax-paying, land-owning, military veteran! We should ALL do this across OCDO Virginia! Poll workers will be surprised just how many of us there are, and that we VOTE. Word will get around, believe me. What do you think? Are you with me? (Sorry PN, for PFP. I still OC. Let's all cooperate for the benefit of the 2A ).

((Paradoxical Quote of The Day From Ben Stein:

"Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

Now add this, "Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens."

Think about it when you vote in November ! ))

They will be happy to accept it as your ID I used it for the primary.

However, they will not accept ID cards issued by state or federal government if they do not have your address on them. My DCJS card and other state ID are no good. My sister-in-law's retired Army Id is also no good according to the VBOE idiots.

And as far as I know, they will again post signs that say firearms forbidden except for law enforcement officers.
like for the primary.

va_tazdad

Not at all!!

Am I the only one that's uncomfortable with all the ID Bull$hit?

But you might recall after the primary when I was not allowed to open or concealed carry and challenged it to the VBOE idiots. They claimed they disallowed firearms because of an alleged incident where a woman saw a gun, OMG !!!!

The "legal department" of the VBOE claimed they had the authority to ban firearms because it might intimidate someone.

Sounds like they overstepped their authority to me.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
But you might recall after the primary when I was not allowed to open or concealed carry and challenged it to the VBOE idiots. They claimed they disallowed firearms because of an alleged incident where a woman saw a gun, OMG !!!!

The "legal department" of the VBOE claimed they had the authority to ban firearms because it might intimidate someone.

Sounds like they overstepped their authority to me.

Yep, I recall that and if you remember...I was working on getting an AG opinion until CERTAIN PEOPLE called other legislators and interfered....also

VCDL put out an alert that flatly stated It was entirely legal to carry in the polls. I have no idea how they determined that, but I'll be more than willing to video anyone that wants to carry in a Chesterfield Polling place.

Marco

Yep, I recall that and if you remember...I was working on getting an AG opinion until CERTAIN PEOPLE called other legislators and interfered....also

VCDL put out an alert that flatly stated It was entirely legal to carry in the polls. I have no idea how they determined that, but I'll be more than willing to video anyone that wants to carry in a Chesterfield Polling place.

Yep...
Got my delegate to ask for an AG's opinion but I got the sinking feeling others have pissed in my wheaties yet want me to believe it's milk.
I'll be OC at my local polling place as they haven't had issue with carry in the past.

Last edited:

va_tazdad

misdsinf thread

I recall Peter, but was unable to find the thread. The VBOE says no. They advised over the phone anyone carrying will be advised to go put it in your car and will not be allowed to vote until you comply. They claim refusal can be considered disorderly conduct.

2a4all

I recall Peter, but was unable to find the thread. The VBOE says no. They advised over the phone anyone carrying will be advised to go put it in your car and will not be allowed to vote until you comply. They claim refusal can be considered disorderly conduct.
Could be true.

Code of VA 24.2-607. Prohibited conduct; intimidation of voters; disturbance of election; how prevented; penalties.
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to hinder, intimidate, or interfere with any qualified voter so as to prevent the voter from casting a secret ballot. The officers of election may order a person violating this subsection to cease such action. If such person does not promptly desist, the officers of election, or a majority of them, may order the arrest of such person by any person authorized by law to make arrests, and, by their warrant, may commit him to the county or city jail, as the case may be, for a period not exceeding twenty-four hours. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
B. No person shall conduct himself in a noisy or riotous manner at or about the polls so as to disturb the election or insult or abuse an officer of election. Any person authorized to make arrests may forthwith arrest a person engaging in such conduct and bring him before the officers of the election, and they, by their warrant, may commit him to the county or city jail, as the case may be, for a period not exceeding twenty-four hours; but they shall permit him to vote if he is so entitled.

Subject to interpretation, I know, but do you really want to be the test case?

TFred

Could be true.

Code of VA 24.2-607. Prohibited conduct; intimidation of voters; disturbance of election; how prevented; penalties.
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to hinder, intimidate, or interfere with any qualified voter so as to prevent the voter from casting a secret ballot. The officers of election may order a person violating this subsection to cease such action. If such person does not promptly desist, the officers of election, or a majority of them, may order the arrest of such person by any person authorized by law to make arrests, and, by their warrant, may commit him to the county or city jail, as the case may be, for a period not exceeding twenty-four hours. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
B. No person shall conduct himself in a noisy or riotous manner at or about the polls so as to disturb the election or insult or abuse an officer of election. Any person authorized to make arrests may forthwith arrest a person engaging in such conduct and bring him before the officers of the election, and they, by their warrant, may commit him to the county or city jail, as the case may be, for a period not exceeding twenty-four hours; but they shall permit him to vote if he is so entitled.

Subject to interpretation, I know, but do you really want to be the test case?
Sounds to me like the SBE will be the ones guilty of this crime, not a law abiding citizen who is trying to vote.

Call the cops on THEM!

TFred

2a4all

Sounds to me like the SBE will be the ones guilty of this crime, not a law abiding citizen who is trying to vote.

Call the cops on THEM!

TFred
To borrow a phrase from that new TV show "VEGAS", The Officers of Election "...are the law here, and they get to say who's breaking it...".

Good luck with having them charged.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Mike just wrote a piece about using the CHP to vote. So there you have it, Philip and Mike say it's legal to carry in a non k-12 polling place. Just print that out and take it with you.:uhoh:

Now that using the CHP to vote is getting popular as another perk, I guess more people will be getting them.

I may put voting on my list of things I'm not going to do this year too. That list is freeing up a lot of time and money for me:lol:

MKEgal

Marco said:
ID... My word/signature is good enough.
Where I grew up & first voted (in OH), they had us sign the voting book at the polling location, & (I don't know how they did it) there was already a copy of our signature in the book, next to where we were supposed to sign.

Now I suppose there's someone who can forge a signature on the fly, just from seeing it there, but I've always wondered why more states/cities don't do that. A signature is free, always with the voter, and they only have to prove ID once, at registration.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Where I grew up & first voted (in OH), they had us sign the voting book at the polling location, & (I don't know how they did it) there was already a copy of our signature in the book, next to where we were supposed to sign.

Now I suppose there's someone who can forge a signature on the fly, just from seeing it there, but I've always wondered why more states/cities don't do that. A signature is free, always with the voter, and they only have to prove ID once, at registration.

It was pretty much the same here MKE.

Then the BS set in. The only time in my adult life I haven't voted was the first election after they passed the first wave of voter ID laws. I told Bolling (Senator then) that if he voted for it I was taking myself off the rolls. He did and I did (and re-registered the next year). This year is still a question mark.

Many years ago they changed everyone's address for the E911 system. I hadn't moved and don't use 911 so I didn't change my DL or anything else. That causes a lot of discussion on voting day.

It's all about tightening the grip on people and 'm sick of it.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
As I cannot carry at all in my polling place (elementary school), I was planning to go with an empty holster, and use my CHP as identification.

I've been doing this for years. Apparently the poll workers at Riverside Precinct didn't know any better ...

This year, Delegate Surovell wrote a column/blog post in which he listed types of ID one could bring. When I called him on the face he didn't include CHP, he acknowledged the act, but didn't change the post.

TFred

I've been doing this for years. Apparently the poll workers at Riverside Precinct didn't know any better ...

This year, Delegate Surovell wrote a column/blog post in which he listed types of ID one could bring. When I called him on the face he didn't include CHP, he acknowledged the act, but didn't change the post.
I strongly suspect that there are a number of people who have never stopped to consider the fact that one might bring a CHP to a place without actually carrying a concealed handgun as well.

TFred