• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Orting WA: Looking for a place to shoot outside?

jsanchez

My boss at work lives in Orting and is looking for a place to shoot outside. Anybody know of any gravel pits or forest areas out that way?

aa1911

what he said^

found quite a few pits from that site.

I usually go up to the cascades to shoot though, total freedom there if you make the drive. Not too far from ya, takes me a little bit longer from Yelm but not too bad if you make a day out of it.

1911er

When I lived out that way I used to go up above wilkerson past the ufish pond and find a spot where some one had been shooting even had the county sheriff stop by one time I let him shoot my sharps.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

How about Elbe Hills state forest?

I'm not familiar with the area though, I always go out and shoot in Green Mountain State Forest and the WA DNR is usually shooting friendly as long as you don't leave targets nailed to trees or beer cans everywhere....

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
When I lived out that way I used to go up above wilkerson past the ufish pond and find a spot where some one had been shooting even had the county sheriff d http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=O...4prQ;FS-NzgIdyta6-A&oq=orting&t=h&mra=ls&z=12 Deputy stop by one time I let him shoot my sharps.

It has been about 5 years since I was up in this area and then it was posted No Shooting, not sure what it is today but here is a map of the No Shooting Areas in Pierce County
http://yakima.co.pierce.wa.us/MapGallery/documents/NoShootZones06.pdf

Chris Carlson

Wilkeson there is no R 😎

To be clear there is not r in Wilkeson.
Not trying to start anything but people need to know it's Wilkeson not Wilkerson or Wilkenson or other odd spellings. Above Sunset it pretty much all no shooting zones now due to dumping from outsiders unfortunately. If you drive all the way up there's still a bit of shooting to be done though.
When I lived out that way I used to go up above wilkerson past the ufish pond and find a spot where some one had been shooting even had the county sheriff stop by one time I let him shoot my sharps.

decklin

Edited: just saw this is a zombie post.
Fire road 7810. Drive down 165 through Burnett, Wilkeson, and Carbonado. You will drive over the fairfax bridge. Left at fork (the right goes to mowich lake) and follow past the carbon river ranger station. Left at bridge at end of road before campground. This is fire road 7810. There is a pit on the other side of the river. You will see it. The road is officially called NF-7810.

Last edited:

brandnewbob

WaGuns.org renge map

I just got here and was looking at the range map. was thinking to try out JBLM15. i was wondering if the map as posted is still valid. do i need to be a guest of a military person to get on at JBLM15? any info is appreciated.
thanks,
BNB