• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Free basic handgun course..

Marco

Greene County Sheriff’s Office offers a free handgun safety course every other month as long as there is a continued interest.

The classes are offered to those 13 and older, and teach safe handling, usage, shooting fundamentals, proper selection, laws and the concealed permit process.

Students receive a certified certificate of completion, which may be used to apply for the Virginia concealed handgun permit through the Circuit Court. Applicants for a concealed handgun permit must be at least 21 years old, undergo a background check and be approved by the Commonwealth’s Attorney and Circuit Judge.

For more information contact Steve Keene at (434) 566-8774.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

http://vsp.cache.vi.virginia.gov/downloa...ev_7-1-2012.pdf

The above Basic handgun course is excellent for those needing a beginner course or a fresher on laws, it also serves to satisfy the states requirement to obtain a CHP.

My Wife has attend the class and it is truly an assest to the community. The instructor is extremely professional and know his stuff.
There are varitey of handguns made available for folks to handle and get familiar with.

This is a non live fire class.

And you don't have to be a Greene county resident to attend.

I have no dog in this fight.
or
I have no horse in this race.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Greene County Sheriff’s Office offers a free handgun safety course every other month as long as there is a continued interest.

The classes are offered to those 13 and older, and teach safe handling, usage, shooting fundamentals, proper selection, laws and the concealed permit process.

Students receive a certified certificate of completion, which may be used to apply for the Virginia concealed handgun permit through the Circuit Court. Applicants for a concealed handgun permit must be at least 21 years old, undergo a background check and be approved by the Commonwealth’s Attorney and Circuit Judge.

For more information contact Steve Keene at (434) 566-8774.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

http://vsp.cache.vi.virginia.gov/downloa...ev_7-1-2012.pdf

The above Basic handgun course is excellent for those needing a beginner course or a fresher on laws, it also serves to satisfy the states requirement to obtain a CHP.

My Wife has attend the class and it is truly an assest to the community. The instructor is extremely professional and know his stuff.
There are varitey of handguns made available for folks to handle and get familiar with.

This is a non live fire class.

And you don't have to be a Greene county resident to attend.

I have no dog in this fight.
or
I have no horse in this race.

Interesting idea Marco. For people who are going to get a CHP, it looks perfect.

Marco

Interesting idea Marco. For people who are going to get a CHP, it looks perfect.

That's what I thought....
They also offer the Hunters safety course and a few other free courses...ie.... refuse to be a victim etc....

The class is informative as my wife had my DVR w/ when she went so I could review the material.

While there are many quality instructors (Jim Reynolds/Bruce Jackson and a few other VCDL members) out there, there are twice as many ones that I would call marginal to crappy.

Hopefully classes like this well keep folks from taking one of those crappy class that confuse rather than educate... if your going to take a class might as well learn something.

While it may not be close to where they live they could arrange a carpool with at least one or two others and share the fuel expense rather than pay anything to a bottom of the barrel instructor, imho.

Justine

Wow... that's awesome. I was just talking to someone about this (training) yesterday. It's wonderful to see LEOs taking an active participation in their community's safety by offering the course for free. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Wow... that's awesome. I was just talking to someone about this (training) yesterday. It's wonderful to see LEOs taking an active participation in their community's safety by offering the course for free. :lol:

There is one caveat Justine.

They will do a background screening and need approval from the Sheriff and Commonwealths Attorney. That's fine for someone that's applying for a CHP but invasive for someone just looking for basic training.

Marco

There is one caveat Justine.

They will do a background screening and need approval from the Sheriff and Commonwealths Attorney. That's fine for someone that's applying for a CHP but invasive for someone just looking for basic training.

They might being doing that but I don't know that they are doing that.
However, I would agree that if they are that is invasive for a training class.

IMHO ,those seeking a CHP shouldn't care as their personal info is out there once they get a CHP but those just needing a laws refresher might/should care.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
They might being doing that but I don't know that they are doing that.
However, I would agree that if they are that is invasive for a training class.

IMHO ,those seeking a CHP shouldn't care as their personal info is out there once they get a CHP but those just needing a laws refresher might/should care.

I may have read that wrong Marco. The approval from the Commonwealths Attorney threw me off. It looks like they're only talking about CHP applicants (Background Check)

Marco

You know, I was almost tempted to call and ask, but didn't want to give them any ideas.

2a4all

After you've taken one of the aforementioned safety classes, take a look at this one. I received it in the mail yesterday from the NRA as a (free) promo (they are trying to sell a subscription to a series of these Combat Focus Shooting and Home Defense Tips DVD's.

It's produced by the Personal Defense Network, and narrated by Rob Pincus, founder of I.C.E Training Co.

Anyway, I watched all the segments and I thought it was an excellent presentation, with detailed attention to techniques.

Clearly, many hours of practice are required to master the techniques shown in the video, but there are a number of immediately useful tips as well. In the Home Defense segment, the video shows the homeowner on the phone with 911 while taking a defensive posture against a suspected intruder, including shouting warnings about being armed to the intruder. Could be a good thing, but there is that pesky "...anything you say..." issue. The homeowner does describe himself, including how he's dressed, and where he is in the home. They advise exiting the home as a primary means of defense, but if that's not an option, seek a limited access area for a defense. They also encourage verbal communication with others in the home to ascertain and identify status and location.

Marco

You must have taken advantage of the free mag and mag pouch offer by springfield armory.

I got the same video about 1-2 yrs ago. I planned on returning it as I wasn't going to signup for the club subscription.
I misplaced the video but I started getting these annoying letters in the mail asking/demanding for the video back if I wasn't signing up.

Well now, they really aren't getting their merchandise they sent to me that I didn't ask for with no strings attached back.
If they hadn't annoyed me they would have gotten it back but now it's mine (well it's been mine legally since they sent it to me).
The real kicker is I allow folks to view it for free.

A good video library is a good way to observe skills and to supplement hands on training...

Thanks for the free DVD Rob... :)

Last edited:

2a4all

You must have taken advantage of the free mag and mag pouch offer by springfield armory.

I got the same video about 1-2 yrs ago. I planned on returning it as I wasn't going to signup for the club subscription.
I misplaced the video but I started getting these annoying letters in the mail asking/demanding for the video back if I wasn't signing up.

Well now, they really aren't getting their merchandise they sent to me that I didn't ask for with no strings attached back.
If they hadn't annoyed me they would have gotten it back but now it's mine (well it's been mine legally since they sent it to me).
The real kicker is I allow folks to view it for free.

A good video library is a good way to observe skills and to supplement hands on training...

Thanks for the free DVD Rob... :)
Not that I know of...

For more info, see http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/

Last edited:

Marco

Not that I know of...

For more info, see http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/

Oops.. my mistake I see you said you got it from the NRA.. as a life member I might be getting another one here any day now myself...

I will say it is one of the better videos that I've seen.
Lots of folks new and needing a refresher on the carrying of defensive firearms really enjoy watching it.

They thank you Rob :)