Thread: Would Anyone Be Interested in Having OCDO.ORG email addresses?

Would Anyone Be Interested in Having OCDO.ORG email addresses?

The new mail hosting I have with Zoho allows me to offer email service to our members for a per-year fee.

It costs me $24 per user per year to give access to Zoho mail, calendar, tasks, and contacts and I would have to manage the adding, billing, and deleting of users so I am thinking of charging $35 per year for anyone who is interested. You can access the mail using the web, any POP3 or IMAP mail client, or via Exchange ActiveSync on mobile devices and tablets.

What are your thoughts?

The email address would be _____@ocdo.org. It wouldn't need to be your username but could be if you wish.

Thanks!

John

Would be useful to those that have a group of sorts to coordinate activities and communication. May be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pierce View Post
    The new mail hosting I have with Zoho allows me to offer email service to our members for a per-year fee.

It costs me $24 per user per year to give access to Zoho mail, calendar, tasks, and contacts and I would have to manage the adding, billing, and deleting of users so I am thinking of charging $35 per year for anyone who is interested. You can access the mail using the web, any POP3 or IMAP mail client, or via Exchange ActiveSync on mobile devices and tablets.

What are your thoughts?

The email address would be _____@ocdo.org. It wouldn't need to be your username but could be if you wish.

Thanks!

John
    You had me until the $35.00. If it was cheaper, maybe, but thanks anyway.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Would Anyone Be Interested in Having OCDO.ORG email addresses?

With such a variety of free email services available I doubt there would be enough interest to make it worth your valuable time and energy. In addition, most of us here just communicate via PM. There could also be the potential where someone could send an email to a business or newspaper and they could be perceived as a representative of OCDO which could potentially be detrimental. Just a few thoughts...
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Same
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    I understand completely. I only asked because I have been asked the question repeatedly down through the years and it was never something I wanted to do when I was running my own email server. With the new hosted email I am using (Zoho), it wouldn't be hard (except for the price) or a security problem so I thought I would ask.

John

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    With such a variety of free email services available I doubt there would be enough interest to make it worth your valuable time and energy. In addition, most of us here just communicate via PM. There could also be the potential where someone could send an email to a business or newspaper and they could be perceived as a representative of OCDO which could potentially be detrimental. Just a few thoughts...
    That is a good point. That is why I would not offer OpenCarry.org email addresses but rather OCDO.org email addresses. But I suppose not everyone would make the distinction.

John

That is a good point. That is why I would not offer OpenCarry.org email addresses but rather OCDO.org email addresses. But I suppose not everyone would make the distinction.

John
    I made the distinction right off the bat. I was curious like a couple others till I got to the $35 part.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    With such a variety of free email services available.
    There are NO FREE e-mail services. The user may not be aware of the cost, as to his privacy, security or anonymity, but it is there. I use REAGAN.COM, and Enigmail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    There are NO FREE e-mail services. The user may not be aware of the cost, as to his privacy, security or anonymity, but it is there. I use REAGAN.COM, and Enigmail.
    This is truth. And advice that should be heeded by all.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I would very much be interested, but $35/year is too much.

I would certainly pay $5. I might pay more.

Make me another offer.

Centurion

I would be interested.

John
    Do you know if they would harvest any information from the service?

I would be interested IF you can verify that my email isn't scanned/mined/sold. The free email services do so and I despise that.

However, you do know that if someone receives an email and says "What is OCDO.org" and then types it in - it steers to OpenCarry.org so it still looks sort of "official". Not sure that is a wise move - but if you want to do it, count me in. Tell me the logistics and I will get you paid.

Quote Originally Posted by drsysadmin View Post
    I would be interested IF you can verify that my email isn't scanned/mined/sold. The free email services do so and I despise that.

However, you do know that if someone receives an email and says "What is OCDO.org" and then types it in - it steers to OpenCarry.org so it still looks sort of "official". Not sure that is a wise move - but if you want to do it, count me in. Tell me the logistics and I will get you paid.
    well it is a 18 month dead thread so should you look for your email in the dead ltr box?

IPSE
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    well it is a 18 month dead thread so should you look for your email in the dead ltr box?

IPSE
    Which is one reason I responded. Its a sticky thread - if the offer is no longer valid it should not be stickied, logically speaking. If it IS valid, then I have an interest.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drsysadmin View Post
    Which is one reason I responded. Its a sticky thread - if the offer is no longer valid it should not be stickied, logically speaking. If it IS valid, then I have an interest.
    I agree...its a sticky .... delete the sticky when its not longer really of any value.

Swiss ProtonMail.ch is free and encrypted end-to-end, meaning that it is encrypted in the senders computer, sent encrypted and stored encrypted so the servers cannot glean any of message content. Because it is Swiss, an US subpoena will be disrespected.

Because it is free there is often a waiting list for accounts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProtonMail
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

oh bother...

my names are taken already...sigh!!

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Swiss ProtonMail.ch is free and encrypted end-to-end, meaning that it is encrypted in the senders computer, sent encrypted and stored encrypted so the servers cannot glean any of message content. Because it is Swiss, an US subpoena will be disrespected.
    www.Protonmail.com

says it is free - I don't know why Charles River Venture capital would invest in a free service. Did not see where they get revenue from - crowdfunding is neat, but don't see who will pay for their servers, labor, electricity and cabling to get under the 1000 meters of swiss mountain....
    Perhaps unlimited emails, msgs, file storage would charge you for it? When they ping your credit card or bank account, the Federal Government then knows what you are doing...
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651