• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Old, but good video of a proper police response to a DGU

EMNofSeattle

So Pomona, California. after 11pm at a liqour store on a strip mall type area.

Call comes in to 911 dispatch stating that he was the owner of a liqour store and that he shot the robber in self defense.

This is an old clip off of the show COPS But basically they have cameraman in the dispatch center and with the Shift Sergeant in a patrol car.

This is the video [video=youtube;9UH6pPrkvn8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UH6pPrkvn8[/video]

Now I think this is an example of an incident handled perfectly by all parties

The owner shoots the robber after the robber strikes his employee with the sawed off rifle/shotgun apparently a round was fired by the robber, and the owner put two .38 slugs in the robbers brain bucket.

The owner promptly calls 911, while the owner is obviously in shock he does seem to keep the details to the basics (I was under attack, I shot him, the location is....)

The police promptly respond to the scene. The Shift Sergeant looks at the injured employee and tells the his officers "he's going to have to go to the hospital" now was the sergeant saying that just becuase of his inury? or maybe he was genuinely looking out for the legal interests of the owner as a hospital trip would document the injuries sustained to the employee from the armed felon.

finally it does not appear that anyone was arrested at the scene, while the video is old enough that I can't find any followup media stories, the attitude of the officers is a strong indication that the shooting was probably adjudicated in favor of the owner. It's rather difficult to prosecute when the cops don't seem to think you did anything wrong.

Anyone who knows any resolution of this case please PM me or post below

Also I would think this is a textbook example of how the immediate aftermath of a DGU should go.
I personally think the shop owner was in the right and the police responded professionaly and did their job on this one, what do you think? is there anything that the clerk/owner/cops could've done better in this scene?

Last edited:

self preservation

So Pomona, California. after 11pm at a liqour store on a strip mall type area.

Call comes in to 911 dispatch stating that he was the owner of a liqour store and that he shot the robber in self defense.

This is an old clip off of the show COPS But basically they have cameraman in the dispatch center and with the Shift Sergeant in a patrol car.

This is the video [video=youtube;9UH6pPrkvn8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UH6pPrkvn8[/video]

Now I think this is an example of an incident handled perfectly by all parties

The owner shoots the robber after the robber strikes his employee with the sawed off rifle/shotgun apparently a round was fired by the robber, and the owner put two .38 slugs in the robbers brain bucket.

The owner promptly calls 911, while the owner is obviously in shock he does seem to keep the details to the basics (I was under attack, I shot him, the location is....)

The police promptly respond to the scene. The Shift Sergeant looks at the injured employee and tells the owner "he's going to have to go to the hospital" now was the sergeant saying that just becuase of his inury? or maybe he was genuinely looking out for the legal interests of the owner as a hospital trip would document the injuries sustained to the employee from the armed felon.

finally it does not appear that anyone was arrested at the scene, while the video is old enough that I can't find any followup media stories, the attitude of the officers is a strong indication that the shooting was probably adjudicated in favor of the owner. It's rather difficult to prosecute when the cops don't seem to think you did anything wrong.

Anyone who knows any resolution of this case please PM me or post below

Also I would think this is a textbook example of how the immediate aftermath of a DGU should go.
I personally think the shop owner was in the right and the police responded professionaly and did their job on this one, what do you think? is there anything that the clerk/owner/cops could've done better in this scene?

I like how the cop says "the clerk then grabbed his little .38" Looked like his little .38 did the trick.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Looks pretty good to me. Although we don't know what may have been edited out during production. And DGU-Is that Defensive Gun Use? Or what?

EMNofSeattle

Looks pretty good to me. Although we don't know what may have been edited out during production. And DGU-Is that Defensive Gun Use? Or what?

correct, DGU is Defensive Gun Use

Yes I'm aware parts are often edited out, I mean taking a report on a stolen lawnmower doesn't make for good TV, unless the lawnmower had lo-jack and they surrounded the thief's garage and asked if they can look inside but that's another episode

I think if someone were put in cuffs they'd put that on the show, snapping the bracelets on someone makes for good TV, but I understand what you're saying, I mean pictures and videos are not fool proof evidence because they can be twisted just as well as words.

ViperGTS19801

I have to admit, I kindof got a chuckle out of how they're just sort of standing around going, "Wow, the clerk got him good." I guess they are waiting for the Coroner to show up, so there's not a whole hell of a lot they can do, but still. LOL.