Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your responses to "Are you a LEO?"

Your responses to "Are you a LEO?"

Just curious about what others' reply to this question is. I've been asked several times and can't come up with anything better than just a simple "no I'm not". I'm not looking for smart a** responses either. I take carrying very serious and don't want to ruin somebody's outlook on it by responding in a negative way. Out of the five times or so that I've been approached about carrying this was the person's first question in four of them. Thanks ya'll!

"No, I'm someone just like you. Can I help you?"
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 10-02-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1911-MilSpec View Post
    Just curious about what others' reply to this question is. I've been asked several times and can't come up with anything better than just a simple "no I'm not". I'm not looking for smart a** responses either. I take carrying very serious and don't want to ruin somebody's outlook on it by responding in a negative way. Out of the five times or so that I've been approached about carrying this was the person's first question in four of them. Thanks ya'll!
    Not sure what else you'd say. I've only once told someone that I was Jack Bauer . Other times a simple "No Ma'am" usually works well.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Re: Your responses to "Are you a LEO?"

"Nope. Just exercising my second amendment rights, and I wouldn't mind using my first amendment rights to explain it more if you'd like."

Can't get much more polite then that. If they don't like that response then I say tear into them with a wise ass remark.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    "and what's your name, date of birth, and address"..once you say no then they might be on the phone to the police

For Me To Know and You To Not Find Out, United States
    "Nope, just a normal citizen...(slight pause) are you a cop?"

I try to defuse while not answering: in a slightly hesitant manner "Why, do you have something against cops?"

I usually just say "No. Are you a fireman?"

"Aw....., no. I work as a book keeper in a cathouse. I wouldn't work a job that shamed my family".
    Last edited by Fuller Malarkey; 10-03-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

Not an intellectual donkey reply, but one designed to cause the other person to, hopefully, laugh and see me as just another citizen:

"No, I didn't qualify. My parents were married for over a year before I was born."

After having said that, and both of us enjoying a laugh, I then go on to explain that open carry is legal in my state and that, given the heat and humidity here, I am far more comfortable carrying openly. I will also explain that the fact that my sidearm is visible acts as a very real deterrent to most of the criminal element.

At that point, if they are interested, I will refer them to either this site or to Alabama Open Carry.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

I've had two people in the last four months, ask me specifically; "Are you a LEO?". And on both occasions, I have responded with; "No, I'm a virgo" prior to walking away.

Humour keeps encounters short, sweet, and fun :3
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Banned
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-x9V-pVBOs

Maybe the OP is a cop .. on this video?

On the 3 occasions I have been asked that I responded "No, I'm a law abiding citizen exercising a constitutional right".

One occasion with a lady and her husband who just retired and moved to Colorado from Illinois led to a 5 minute or so conversation on gun laws and personal protection where at one point the woman turned to her husband and said "We should get ourselves a couple pistols".

I try to be open and friendly when people ask me questions, more often it is "Is that legal"? I explain that the Colorado state constitution bill of rights guarantees the right to keep and bear arms for personal protection but excludes carrying of concealed weapons because at the time of adoption only persons of nefarious intent would carry a concealed weapon; honest people carried in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-x9V-pVBOs

Maybe the OP is a cop .. on this video?
    Not a cop, just wondered how others respond and thought it make an interesting and informative thread. Ive always just said "no I'm not" and its always been followed by them staring at me, my pistol, me, my pistol.......lol Just wondering if there is a better way to respond that doesn't leave them with so many questions that they either don't know how to ask or might not want to.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1911-MilSpec View Post
    Not a cop, just wondered how others respond and thought it make an interesting and informative thread. Ive always just said "no I'm not" and its always been followed by them staring at me, my pistol, me, my pistol.......lol Just wondering if there is a better way to respond that doesn't leave them with so many questions that they either don't know how to ask or might not want to.
    I'm not a teacher and try not to be. Your reply is appropriate. How many people ask just to pick an argument?

I was also asked by a young punk looking minority while in a gas station. I just replied "nope, are you?"To which he replied "naaaw" I said good and entered my vehicle.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Founder's Club Member
    Whether a reply is smart-alecky or not is in the delivery, not the words. You can say the exact same words with a friendly smile or playfully and it comes across entirely differently.

My standard reply to the cop question is playfully exaggerated surprise and obviously mock indignation while saying with a smile, "Oh, my! Do you always insult strangers? I would never stoop so low as to be a cop." The playful tone and smile change the whole ballgame. Then, "No, I'm just a regular guy." This has only ever failed once.

Also, unless it is an obvious attack, keep your response lighthearted, friendly, warm. For example, I was in a bank recently, OCing. A new teller. As I arrived at the window, she asked, "Was that a gun on your belt?" I replied very friendly, "Yes." Her expression looked a little doubtful, and she said, "That's dangerous." To which I replied with a playful grin, "Only to the bad guys." This started to win her over. By the end of the transaction she was relaxed and friendly herself. A big part of that was that I kept all the conversation of the transaction playful and friendly. Basically, I know from retail experience that clerks get really bored dealing with drones for customers. Almost all of them appreciate the warm, friendly, or playful customer. If you want to win over a clerk on the spot, just ask or say something that shows you are interested in them. Few customers ever do this--they just pay for the stuff, mutter a robotic thank-you and head out the door.

If there's a lot of customers, ask, "How do you keep from going crazy with all these customers?"
    If there are few or no customers, ask, "How do you keep from being bored to death when its this slow?"
    Any comment, question, or compliment that isn't creepy will almost always work. Then just have a twelve second, two-comment conversation while you're being rung up. The key is to be interested in them as their own person. And, don't be surprised if that clerk gives you a cheerful hello the next time you walk in the door.

Back to the cop question. If you don't like my response, you can always tweak it to suit you. The important part is lighthearted, playful, friendly. "No, that job requires fighting skills. I'm a big softy. The very thought of being a cop makes me shiver." Put your own twist on it. And, follow it up with a question to keep the conversation going. For example, "why do you ask?"

Now, of course, the gun is the object of the discussion, so sooner or later the cop-question person or the curious is going to mention the gun. At which point, if the person is not hostile, I'll often deliberately look at their belt and ask in friendly way where their gun is. Of coure, they're not carrying one, but that's not the point. The point is to steer the conversation a little bit. And, this question just assumes that everybody is supposed to be carrying a gun. Now, you would be surprised at how many men actually do think they should be carrying a gun. You can tell by the slightly sheepish excuses you get when you ask where their gun is. The reason for asking is to establish that they should be carrying one, which also opens the door to conversation that lets you promote carry. If they don't want to OC (most don't), then promote how easy it is to get a CC permit in your state and how important it is to be able to defend yourself. Just mention the recent movie theater, Batman massacre or the headline robbery du jour.
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-04-2012 at 01:27 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I just respond factually. "Are you a cop?" No, I'm a scientist.
    "There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace." ~ Aldo Leopold

Trailrunner's Blog
    Got Twitter?

Video

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-x9v-pvbos

maybe the op is a cop .. On this video?
    lmao!

"Do you have warrants?" :P

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy276 View Post
    "Do you have warrants?" :P
    Oh, I gotta remember that one!
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-04-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    I've had two people in the last four months, ask me specifically; "Are you a LEO?". And on both occasions, I have responded with; "No, I'm a virgo" prior to walking away.

Humour keeps encounters short, sweet, and fun :3
    Beat me to to it, but I say "No I'm a Tarsus"
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    "Are you a LEO?"

"I don't have time to help you, if you have an emergency call 9-1-1."
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

For me it all depends on How they ask the question. If it's an accusing tone, I tend to be a smartass lol. But if it's a legitimate question out of curiosity, I'll usually just say "Nope I'm not," And normally there's a follow up question about the legality of carrying, so I'll try to answer whatever question they have to the best of my ability. I've actually referred a lot of them to this site, especially one's who are looking to start carrying themselves.

Nope, just a PAC

Peacably Armed Citizen
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast