• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negative experience at Cracker Barrel in Clayton

bigl0af

OK so who *has not* open carried at a Crack Barrel?!? I know I have done so many, many, times in the past year or two with no problem (would on expect a problem?). My wife and I went to get breakfast at the Cracker Barrel located in Clayton (I-40/NC-42) on Sunday, 9-Sept, with my Ruger P89 at the hip per normal. As we were walking in, I noticed the employee who held the door for us as we walked in was eye-f00king me. OK, whatever - we walk on in and get seated. After about 10 minutes of being seated we started wondering, "hey where is the waiter asking what we'd like to drink"? No sooner than we started asking each other that did the guy who held the door for us as we walked in came over to the table and knelt down. I started to give my drink order without him prompting me and before I could finish he asked, "are you law enforcement"? I laughed and said, "no sir I have more self respect for myself than that". He then said, "well we don't allow people here to be armed unless they're cops". I was SHOCKED! I know there have been a-many OC meetups in NC with Cracker Barrel as the venue. I knew I OC'ed there every time I went in the past few years, and I knew many others did as well. Most importantly, I knew there was no "firearms prohibited" sign at the door (which I always check for, even at familiar venues). We went back and forth a bit, politely, and the gist of what he told me was that it was at the discretion of the on-duty manager if he/she was going to allow open carry. Of course, the place was crowded, and my wife was thoroughly embarrassed. I immediately filed a complaint with corporate via the chain's website. Fast forward to today...I had to call them myself (never got a response to my complaint form), and I have been "unofficially" told it's Cracker Barrel policy that no one other than uniformed LEO's are allowed to have firearms on premises by 1st line corporate customer support. I have been told, however, that the customer support manager will contact me regarding this item (I won't hold my breath).

I've waited long enough before posting this thread - I have no reason to NOT inform everyone that apparently it's Cracker Barrel corporate policy to NOT allow ANY carry of firearms in their store.

Last edited:

madcitysw

Was the guy that was holding the door the manager on duty? If not, I would had just ignore him and ask for the store manager.

carsontech

Activist Member
Please see the following concerning Cracker Barrel and there anti-OC policy...

Message from VCDL concerning Cracker Barrel's new anti-OC policy:

"I received a copy of a Cracker Barrel internal policy memo from a source who will remain anonymous. The nutshell is that if a store manager wishes to he can enforce a company policy against open carry, asking the open carrier to return his gun to his vehicle, while saying (according to the memo), "We're making this request in order to accommodate our guests and employees who may be uncomfortable in the present of a fire arm (sic)." I think they should ask the guests who are uncomfortable with someone else exercising their Second Amendment rights to leave, not the gun owner who is minding his own business! I'm sick and tired of all this faux concern about somebody being *uncomfortable* about this, that or the other. If a person is uncomfortable about someone else's skin color or religious dress, should the "offender" be asked to leave? I hope not. Anyway concealed carry is not at issue for Cracker Barrel, only open carry. Just an FYI."

Link to thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...rrel-Not-Friendly-to-Open-Carriers-(Per-VCDL)

Later on in that same thread, after a bunch of members said a policy like that probably wont be enforced and people saying they never had a problem, a meet and greet in Cracker Barrel in VA gets "shutdown":

IT HAPPENED!

We (the Greater Richmond OC Breakfast group) went to the Cracker Barrel on Mayland Drive. Grapeshot and I got in and seated with no problems - yes, we were OCing and my vest was tucked well up under the grips to make sure I was OCing as opposed to CCing. Sidestreet and family, GT67whatever, and a new guy showed up a bit later and were told they were not welcome to come in with their guns. A few minutes after our meal was served I saw te bunch standing outside, and went outside to tell the folks to come on in and join us and did not hear that they had been denied entrance. 67GTwhatever came in and sat down with us and was just about to order when the restaurant manager came over and told us "Sorry but you cannot be in here with guns."

I looked at my breakfast, looked at him, and got up with 67GTwhatever and walked out. Grapeshot stayed a while trying to discuss the policy with the restaurant manager, then came out. A little over $20.00 in food & drink was left cooling on the table, unpaid for.

We all decided to go over to River City Diner, where we were warmly welcomed, fed and cheered. A story was told of Three Gun Kim going into Cracker Barrel looking for a large party of her friends who were supposed to be there. Seems folks were searching for some time trying to find her friends, and the restaurant manager was sad to learn they were not there.

We will be contacting both the restaurant manager, the Regional Manager and Corporate - both about the incident today and our plans to cancel future meetings/meals there. Some letters to various editors are also being drafted.

stay safe.

Link to post:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88012-Cracker-Barrel-Not-Friendly-to-Open-Carriers-%28Per-VCDL%29&p=1491132#post1491132

Then check out the the recording of Peter Naps conversations with Corporate:

[video=vimeo;21313312]http://vimeo.com/21313312[/video]

Link to post:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...s-(Per-VCDL)&p=1492277&viewfull=1#post1492277

Report from the Tennessee forum that a member was told he could't opne carry in a Cracker Barrel:

Went today to cracker barrell to eat. Always open carry. Been there before doing the same, except today the manager says to either keep my pistol in my vehicle or conceal carry. Had people call the main office complaining. It's about the kids! La de f---- da. Guess cracker barrell is on my "do not vist" list. Oh yeah, this happened in Athens.

Link to thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88464-cracker-barrell&p=1495503

Another incident in VA:

Went to Cracker Barrel this morning - 7-12-11, as my wife and I have done for almost 4 years now. We ordered, ate, and got our check. All of the sudden, a man in a blue shirt and radio on his side walked really close to me and said in a calm and low voice - "I don't know if you are law enforcement, but if you are not, our store policy is no guns." :mad: I did not confirm nor deny the law enforcement challenge, however, I told him that he would loose my business because of it. This time around, it was almost like they were trying to rush us out because we got our check JUST as we were finishing up, and as we left to pay, the blue shirt man (Known as B.J.) followed closely, as if we were criminals. :cuss:

Cracker Barrel Store #239
Jul 12, 11 @ 7:44 AM
Check closed at 8:10 AM $23.63

No more from us - Cracker Barrel!

Link to thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...gain-in-his-store...&highlight=cracker+barrel

Please see the following email that was sent from Corporate to an OCDO member from Missouri:

Dear Mr. Sanderlin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with all of us here at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. We're always pleased to hear from our guests.

Open Carry Policy
As we work to achieve our mission of Pleasing People, one of our top priorities is the safety and comfort of our guests, both external and internal. Because of this, and because it is our intent to provide our guests and employees with a relaxed, comfortable, family-oriented environment, we feel its important to review our open carry policy.

Simply stated, our policy is that we will not seat or serve patrons who are openly carrying or wearing firearms unless the patrons are law enforcement officers, security guards, or uniformed military personnel.

We look forward to seeing you in one of our locations again soon.

Sincerely,

Sandra Vance
Guest Relations Representative
Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc

Link to thread:
http://forums.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?93859-No-open-carry-in-Cracker-Barrel-!

bigl0af

Wow thx for the info carsontech! I had mistakenly thought Cracker Barrel respected all manner of people, including those who openly carry - turns out that was a bad assumption! Only clowns in costumes are allowed to carry it seems, and us regular slaves are expected to be defenseless! They definitely won't be getting my business from now on!

My only real remaining question is - why do they not post a "no firearms allowed" sign? Seems to me they might want to try to have it both ways - retaining appeal to hopolophobes while not alienating, how shall I say it, "country folks" (i.e "me") who love their guns at the same time.

Bearfoot

Can't believe I am reading about CB and their policy against OC in their stores. We regularly visit the NC stores in Greenville and Jacksonville. And have also been there for several meet-ups. If anyone has an issue at these locations, please let us know.:confused:

GWbiker

Tucson area CB cancelled a scheduled OC meet last year. No reason given.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Steveboos

Well then i will NEVER go to another Cracker Barrel again. They don't serve alcohol, so there is no reason we should be required to disarm to eat there. That is ludicrous, they just lost another customer who LOVES breakfast food...

PistolPackingMomma

Wow thx for the info carsontech! I had mistakenly thought Cracker Barrel respected all manner of people, including those who openly carry - turns out that was a bad assumption! Only clowns in costumes are allowed to carry it seems, and us regular slaves are expected to be defenseless! They definitely won't be getting my business from now on!

My only real remaining question is - why do they not post a "no firearms allowed" sign? Seems to me they might want to try to have it both ways - retaining appeal to hopolophobes while not alienating, how shall I say it, "country folks" (i.e "me") who love their guns at the same time.

Concealed carry in Cracker Barrel seems to be fine, but open carry is not. Apparently a few millimeters of cloth make a difference. Don't ask me how; my brain is apparently functioning too logically to come up with an answer...

carsontech

Activist Member
Not everyone has bad experiences in Cracker Barrel after their policy was made known, even though it seems like everyone has been having problems according to my previous post.

My wife and I open carried in one about 5 months ago because there was nothing else that looked appetizing right off the interstate in Christianburg, VA. We were expecting to get asked to leave, but none of the employees said a word:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?102590-Open-Carrying-while-Traveling&p=1748586&viewfull=1#post1748586

I was OCing a 1911 in a SERPA dropleg rig and the wife was OCing her 1911 in a SERPA holster on her hip, so our guns were definitely visible. Maybe the particular manager on duty at that time didn't have a problem with it, maybe the employees weren't that situtionally aware...

Last edited:

papa bear

dontcha love the out of state tourists & their comments

wabbit

ps: not sure the other site would have either of them...

this is a national site and all states are welcome to comment. it is a great way to get fresh opinions.
but i have seen ScottE on other sites and he does seem to like CC

I could be wrong but it seems VA have citizens who are used to OC and NC citizens are still getting used to it.

i was just counting up and i have been OC in NC for 32 years. this was actually before we had CC. we OC'ed in NC long before we CC'ed. just goes to show how quickly sheeple convert to restrictions

WalkingWolf

i was just counting up and i have been OC in NC for 32 years. this was actually before we had CC. we OC'ed in NC long before we CC'ed. just goes to show how quickly sheeple convert to restrictions
This is very true, before the permission card law OC was very common, if I was out in public it I would usually see two or three people OC in a day. Now it seems I am the only one in my parts. I know that is not true the number has of OC has just dropped. Makes the sheep feel more comfortable, and they are willing to sacrifice their rights.