• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the age you can legally open carry a rifle in New Mexico?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just recently turned 18 and don't know much about guns at all. I would like to know the age i can open carry a rifle in the state of New Mexico. I know you have to be 19 for a concealed handgun and that's if you have your permit but I do not know about rifles. also can i be 18 and open carry an unloaded handgun? I am thankful for anything you tell me. Just please let it be the truth.

Matt2908

Your post is probably going to get deleted.

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

That being said.
I would say you need to get comfortable with what ever gun you intend on carrying. Before you even think of carrying. Also with the laws of your state.
I tried to find a good link for NM laws. Only thing I found was wiki and I don't trust that enough. Hopefully someone has the link. Also there is a NM section on this forum.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Moved this to the New Mexico sub-forum as it is state specific.

Welcome to OCDO - lots of good people here.

Someone should be along shortly to help you.

Please note that as mentioned long gun carry is off-topic - please read Forum Rules.

AH.74

You must be 21 to apply for a concealed handgun license in NM.

New Mexico Statute 30-7-2.2 states you must be at least 19 years of age to possess a handgun.

I see no good reason to open carry long guns unless you are out in the woods or away from populated areas. I feel doing so anywhere else is only asking for trouble and does nothing good to "further the cause." My opinion only.

TravisNM

I think the lack of law (as far as I can find) specifically targeted at long-guns means (as always) it's legal until it is made illegal. I believe 30-7-2 can be helpful here.

30-7-2. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon.

A. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon consists of carrying a concealed loaded firearm or any other type of deadly weapon anywhere, except in the following cases:

(1) in the person's residence or on real property belonging to him as owner, lessee, tenant or licensee;

(2) in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for lawful protection of the person's or another's person or property;

(3) by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is certified pursuant to the Law Enforcement Training Act [29-7-1 NMSA 1978];

(4) by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is employed on a temporary basis by that agency and who has successfully completed a course of firearms instruction prescribed by the New Mexico law enforcement academy or provided by a certified firearms instructor who is employed on a permanent basis by a law enforcement agency; or

(5) by a person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued to him by the department of public safety pursuant to the provisions of the Concealed Handgun Carry Act [29-19-1 NMSA 1978].

B. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the carrying of any unloaded firearm.

C. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

Wait, after quoting the above a thought occurred to me; is it actually legal to open carry anything? It is pretty late and I'm tired but I always question myself so this is nothing new. Can someone tell me I am just missing something?

In the very first line we read, "Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon consists of carrying a concealed loaded firearm or any other type of deadly weapon anywhere..." Does the wording, "or any other type of deadly weapon" supposed to be something that is not "a concealed loaded firearm" or something that is "concealed" and/or "loaded" but not a firearm?

NMOCr

Illegal loaded OC?

So where does it say that its legal to open carry a loaded handgun then?

I think the lack of law (as far as I can find) specifically targeted at long-guns means (as always) it's legal until it is made illegal. I believe 30-7-2 can be helpful here.

Wait, after quoting the above a thought occurred to me; is it actually legal to open carry anything? It is pretty late and I'm tired but I always question myself so this is nothing new. Can someone tell me I am just missing something?

In the very first line we read, "Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon consists of carrying a concealed loaded firearm or any other type of deadly weapon anywhere..." Does the wording, "or any other type of deadly weapon" supposed to be something that is not "a concealed loaded firearm" or something that is "concealed" and/or "loaded" but not a firearm?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...New Mexico Statute 30-7-2.2 states you must be at least 19 years of age to possess a handgun...

So an 18-year old (legal adult) can only carry a long gun?

Haven't we allowed an exception to the long gun carry discussion rules when that is the person's (state's) ONLY option to exercise their RIGHT to bear arms?

I absolutely agree that long gun open carry is not preferred. And I absolutely agree that it should be off topic for "open carry."

But are we basically telling this legal adult to go away and come back when he's a year older?

If it is his only option, I (an admitted absolute nobody around here) am okay with discussing how to do it in the least scary way possible while putting the emphasis on changing the laws to allow all adults to carry sidearms.

So, my best advice to the OP is to contact your state legislators. You are an adult, and are being forced by state laws to carry a long gun if you wish to be armed in society, which is your right. If state legislators believed for one second that 18-year-old adults were actually going to exercise their right to be armed, I promise you they will very quickly change the law to allow that arm to be a properly-holstered handgun. Similarly, in states where you must be 21 to get a concealed weapons permit, if there were a significant number of armed 18-20-year-olds, the law would quickly change to allow them to carry concealed, but the fact is most people would rather be disarmed than OC. Sad.

Research the various police departments in the state. Are there any that allow 18-year-old employees? If so, can any of them carry sidearms? Do the same with security companies. The information can be of use, regardless of the answer.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

Haven't we allowed an exception to the long gun carry discussion rules when that is the person's (state's) ONLY option to exercise their RIGHT to bear arms?

I absolutely agree that long gun open carry is not preferred. And I absolutely agree that it should be off topic for "open carry."

The rule application contains no options, it is finite with an exception specifically and only (presently) for CA.

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC:
This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Yes, I acknowledged that. You snipped the most important question that would have been directed to someone such as yourself.

So I guess you are confirming that our policy is to tell 18-year-old New Mexican adults to go away and come back in a year.

I just wanted to make sure. I don't run the place.

Let me be clear: I hate long gun urban open carry. But we should be able to discuss it in the context of helping so-restricted persons get their normal OC rights. Because technically I am violating the rules by showing him how to use a discussion of long gun OC to discuss the issue with his state legislators.

I suppose I could have just said: "We don't discuss long gun OC. Have a nice day."

Because I see no reason for an exemption to CA, either.

EDIT: Actually, the rule you just quoted says: "Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

How is this not a "such as" situation?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, I acknowledged that. You snipped the most important question that would have been directed to someone such as yourself.

So I guess you are confirming that our policy is to tell 18-year-old New Mexican adults to go away and come back in a year.

I just wanted to make sure. I don't run the place.

Let me be clear: I hate long gun urban open carry. But we should be able to discuss it in the context of helping so-restricted persons get their normal OC rights. Because technically I am violating the rules by showing him how to use a discussion of long gun OC to discuss the issue with his state legislators.

I suppose I could have just said: "We don't discuss long gun OC. Have a nice day."

Because I see no reason for an exemption to CA, either.

EDIT: Actually, the rule you just quoted says: "Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

How is this not a "such as" situation?

Why would anyone suggest that someone "go away and come back in a year?" Encourage them to stay and learn. Teach them to work the legislative process. Just do so within the rules.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Let me re-hit the highlight you skipped: How is this not a "such as California" situation?

Again, I'm a nobody, and you can enforce the rules, but you've not yet convinced me this is against the rules.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Let me re-hit the highlight you skipped: How is this not a "such as California" situation?

Again, I'm a nobody, and you can enforce the rules, but you've not yet convinced me this is against the rules.

Simple - his state does not ban handgun carry. CA has been to date the only jurisdiction formally allowed this latitude on OCDO.

EMNofSeattle

Now Grape, would a statute worded "such as" mean the same thing as "only"? The rule says "juristictions such as california" not "only california"
I understand you act with authority of the owner and until they say otherwise you can rule whatever you want... but if we were looking at this as a law, what would that statement mean?

AH.74

Research the various police departments in the state. Are there any that allow 18-year-old employees? If so, can any of them carry sidearms? Do the same with security companies. The information can be of use, regardless of the answer.

Police departments and other businesses have to follow the laws of the state just like everyone else. They are not exempted- therefore they would be violating the law in allowing 18-yr olds to be armed with handguns.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Simple - his state does not ban handgun carry. CA has been to date the only jurisdiction formally allowed this latitude on OCDO.

Yes, it does, to every law-abiding adult under the age of 19.

You add verbiage/conditions that are not included in the OCDO application of the rule.

Now Grape, would a statute worded "such as" mean the same thing as "only"? The rule says "juristictions such as california" not "only california"
I understand you act with authority of the owner and until they say otherwise you can rule whatever you want... but if we were looking at this as a law, what would that statement mean?

I will not purport to "what if" this were a statute - it is a rule intended to control/restrict posting not deemed acceptable/allowable on OCDO by the administration. I never rule however/whatever I want.

If in doubt, ask me. If I do not know with a great degree of certainty, I will find out. Suffice to say the rules are not nor are intended to replicate Robert's Rules of Order; however, I will not play an extended game of ping-pong with any decision/judgement. Anyone can "appeal" directly to the administration.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You add verbiage/conditions that are not included in the OCDO application of the rule....

Whoa. What verbiage did I add? You quoted the rule, which clearly says "such as California." And California doesn't have a blanket ban on handgun carry either. I don't like ping pong, either, but I've not yet had a ball returned to me squarely.

Status
Not open for further replies.