• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chalk one up for the Dillon Rule!

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not OC or even gun related, but very pertinent to many of the issues we face with State/Local laws.

Orange County imposed an ordinance restricting the creation of subdivisions beyond what was allowed in the State Code. Judge said no, Virginia is a Dillon Rule state, you can't do that.

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2012/10/02/orange-loses-subdivision-challenge/

TFred

OK now lets hear from all those folks that claim localities can enforce their sad little stop and identify ordinances........:monkey

Yes Virginia, there is a Dillon Rule:lol:

Old Virginia Joe

This is big news!

This is happy news to me! On the issue of camping prohibited in Virginia (by county zoning ordinances) on one's OWN LAND, I have always been told, there is a free rein for localities to do what they want in matters of zoning, and that the Dillon Rule cannot be used to stop them, and permit us our liberties to use our land as we see fit, as long as it does not hurt our neighbor's rights. I was told to just accept it. Wellllllll, this seems to show that there IS a limit to zoning tyranny, even under the Dillon Rule. Here is an example of patriots' labors being rewarded, and it should encourage us all, to do our parts in our little corners of the Old Dominion! The battle takes a sharp turn for liberty!