• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you are going to show someone your firearm...

Matt2908

I never hand over a loaded firearm to anyone. I've had a cop take it for the duration of my traffic stop, he never took it out of the holster, he just laid it on top of my car.

TyGuy

I won't even hand a firearm to a gun counter employee with the action closed. I also am not a fan of gerting sweeped by other shoppers.

Old Grump

He was at work and he took it out of his holster to show somebody. Fail on several counts. Not the place to be displaying a gun unless he intended to use it. At the safety of his home or the range fine but not in a work place that isn't a gun range for crying out loud. One life gone and another ruined at the beginning of his life because of simple basic gun safety violations. Pure tragedy all because of a single moment of stupid.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I think the guy who was shot got the worst of it ... the idiot who shot him? Manslaughter will likely be the charge and he may get lucky to have it knocked down to something with probation but I doubt it....5 yrs for that error.

And the article says nothing about who picked up the bill ....

When someone asks to see your gun, always say "no thanks"

Law abider

He was at work and he took it out of his holster to show somebody. Fail on several counts. Not the place to be displaying a gun unless he intended to use it. At the safety of his home or the range fine but not in a work place that isn't a gun range for crying out loud. One life gone and another ruined at the beginning of his life because of simple basic gun safety violations. Pure tragedy all because of a single moment of stupid.

I agree. However he went further. He was SHOWING OFF. Now that is a dangerous act. I hope he is not a CC holder. If he is then the instructor failed or the guy was 'asleep at the wheel.' I haven't let anyone in my family touch my 357, not till they take a gun safety course. I feel bad for both of them.

twoskinsonemanns

Read the article.....

Gotcha. yeah I went back and saw the police said he was showing it off. What exactly does that mean I wonder?
I mean what requirements do they use to distinguish showing someone a firearm, from showing off with a firearm?

M

McX

back in the day we were trained to; turn so they can see the firearm in the holster, but do not remove it. invite them to google it if they wish a better view, and more information.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
I will start by saying there is nothing wrong with showing another individual (especially your best friend) your firearm. I don't think the place was appropriate, but that doesn't matter in this case. In this case, the individual failed to practice safe gun handling techniques. If you were at my house, or we were at the range, or I was at your house, and you asked to see my firearm, I would inform you that it's loaded, but because we aren't among the general public....

Unholster remembering to always point in a safe direction.
Drop magazine
Cycle action to empty chamber, Cycle action several more times to ensure it is totally unloaded.
Open action and lock open. If you don't know how to do this with your firearms, you shouldn't carry them.
Once the action is locked back the firearm CANNOT fire. It CANNOT fire with the action open.

I can then hand it to you and you can handle it all the while keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Eventually, you hand it back, I insert the mag and close the action, then holster the firearm.

No harm, no foul.

This was negligence.

oliverclotheshoff

I will start by saying there is nothing wrong with showing another individual (especially your best friend) your firearm. I don't think the place was appropriate, but that doesn't matter in this case. In this case, the individual failed to practice safe gun handling techniques. If you were at my house, or we were at the range, or I was at your house, and you asked to see my firearm, I would inform you that it's loaded, but because we aren't among the general public....

Unholster remembering to always point in a safe direction.
Drop magazine
Cycle action to empty chamber, Cycle action several more times to ensure it is totally unloaded.
Open action and lock open. If you don't know how to do this with your firearms, you shouldn't carry them.
Once the action is locked back the firearm CANNOT fire. It CANNOT fire with the action open.

I can then hand it to you and you can handle it all the while keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Eventually, you hand it back, I insert the mag and close the action, then holster the firearm.

No harm, no foul.

This was negligence.

+100

i agree 100% bnh

MKEgal

davidmcbeth said:
When someone asks to see your gun, always say "no thanks"
In public, I usually turn my hip toward the person & move my arm so s/he can see the holstered pistol.
One time I handed someone the whole shebang, holster & pistol, but we were among an OC crowd & I trusted that he wasn't going to try to draw it. Even so, one person felt uncomfortable. :uhoh:
In private, I unload, etc., more or less as described above. (Only lock the slide back, not working it over & over.)

WalkingWolf

Shame someone had to die for a lesson to be learned. I never show my gun to anyone, it does not leave the holster. If anybody wants a closer look they can go to a gun shop, they might let them fondle the guns. Reminds of the people who ask me if they can ride my Harley, usually they have a shocked face when I ask if I can ride their loved one. Sometimes I had a shocked face when they agreed.

E6chevron

The shooter was a fairly young man. He should have been taught from his first experience with a firearm to keep his trigger finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until the target has been acquired and he has decided to shoot.

Obviously this precept was not learned and practiced.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
In case there are any readers who are new to gun ownership

This is how we handle guns....
[SIZE=+2] The 1st Law - The Gun Is Always Loaded! [/SIZE]
So EVERY TIME you pick up or draw a gun, inspect it in a safe manner (control your muzzle) and always treat it as a loaded gun.
[SIZE=+2] The 2nd Law - Never Point The Gun At Something You Are Not Prepared To Destroy! [/SIZE]
The only safe way to operate is to assume the Worst Case Scenario: Pretend that your "empty" gun is loaded and that it's going to function perfectly. When you press the trigger it will FIRE! Since you are prepared for that, you only point the gun in a Safe Direction. This way, when Brainfade does result in an AD, it will be into a safe impact area and there won't be a tragedy.
[SIZE=+2] The 3rd Law - Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Is Behind It! [/SIZE]
Bullets can penetrate lots of things, many of which will surprise you. Identify your target before firing - even before dry-firing at home. If you are not sure, DON'T FIRE! Make sure there is a safe impact area behind it before firing. For home dry-fire practice, find and aim only at a BULLET PROOF BACKSTOP. Even though you have checked and double-checked your gun, you should still treat your gun as though it is loaded. Plasterboard walls and outer walls are not bulletproof. A handgun bullet will easily travel through several rooms before stopping. Who is in these rooms? You don't know, and you still aimed in that direction?! Shame on you!
[SIZE=+2] The 4th Law - Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Your Sights Are On The Target![/SIZE]
Almost all of the ADs are caused by a finger on the trigger when you were not ready to fire. Some examples: Finger on trigger during reloading, during movement, during the draw, and during jam clearing have led to ADs.