• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California carry inside vehicle

Paver1055

Heading to southern California next week and would like to know what the laws are for carrying inside the vehicle? Thanks

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
If I'm not mistaken, in general:

Handgun - Locked and fully enclosed case, unloaded. So basically, to ready it, you would need to unlock case, take the gun out, insert a mag, and rack the slide.

Long gun - Must be unloaded. Does not need to be encased. I think a pump shotgun with a raptor grip or a pistol grip might be quick to load, just put a shell in the port and push the pump forward but still too long to handle well in the confines of a vehicle. The Stoeger Double Defense or other similar hammerless coach gun with the automatic safety disabled and the action already open might be faster yet.

Remember also, no mags over 10 rounds.

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

If I'm not mistaken, in general:

Handgun - Locked and fully enclosed case, unloaded. So basically, to ready it, you would need to unlock case, take the gun out, insert a mag, and rack the slide.

I believe Felid is correct.

Locked means by some type of padlock or something similiar. The sliding locks that are built into many hard plastic cases do NOT qualify. and UNLOADED.

Paver1055

I believe Felid is correct.

Locked means by some type of padlock or something similiar. The sliding locks that are built into many hard plastic cases do NOT qualify. and UNLOADED.

That sucks. Can you have a loaded mag in the case out of the firearm?

Ca Patriot

That sucks. Can you have a loaded mag in the case out of the firearm?

Yes. But quite a few police officers dont know that and arrests have been made.

On that show Wild Justice they showed DFG agents arresting a man for that very thing. Apparently someone from Cal Guns contacted the DFG after seeing the show and the showed emailed saying the charges had been dropped. The guy was still arrested though.