• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The first role of the federal government...

eye95

"...is to keep the American people safe."

BULL!

But that is what President Obama and the Democrats think and why they are so dangerous.

eye95

"The role of government is to promote and protect the principles of those documents [the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence]." -- Romney

That answer is much closer to being correct!

Obama - F
Romney - B+ (Only because of the qualifications he followed up with)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
But, but, but, the PRESIDENT gets to define the government, right?

Class? Anyone? Bueller?

Good catch, Eye. I wonder if it will make tomorrow's stories.

DrakeZ07

"...is to keep the American people safe."

BULL!

But that is what President Obama and the Democrats think and why they are so dangerous.

I'm a Democrat, and I don't think the way you claim ALL democrats think. Nor do I agree with Pres. Obama, as you claim ALL democrats do.

Learn Specifics; Generalizations make you look, for lack of a better term for the sentence, stupid.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Well, the President is the leader and spokesman of his Party...

So, while we know that not ALL members of ANY organization are on the same exact page, we are allowed some generalities.

If the generalities are bad enough, well, who do you really have the problem with?

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

I'm a Democrat, and I don't think the way you claim ALL democrats think. Nor do I agree with Pres. Obama, as you claim ALL democrats do.

Learn Specifics; Generalizations make you look, for lack of a better term for the sentence, stupid.

democrat;
noun
one who supports mob rule either in the polling and/or in the streets.

democracy;
noun
a form of government in which collective rights over rule individual rights.

So, in my opinion, all democrats and those who support democracy are idiots.

You just might not be a democrat is all.

eye95

Name-calling is not very flattering either. I expect an apology for it.

I did not say "all." I generalized. There is a difference.

Generalizations serve a purpose. They do not deny the possibility of exceptions. They simply state what is generally true, hence the word "generalization." I would be willing to wager that over 90% of Democrats would agree with what Obama said the primary role of government is over what Romney said.

The extent to which the Dems promise safety and security from government actions (as opposed to the more conservative and Liberty-loving message of individuals being more responsible for themselves and, consequently, more free) makes me wonder about the consistency of both being a Democrat and not believing that the primary role of government is protecting us from terrorists and Slurpees.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

The constitution is a law limiting and restricting and granting a few powers to Federal government. So in my humble opinion it is not the role of Federal government to promote and protect the "principles" set out in that document.
It must follow that document in executing the limited roles granted to it by the states in that document. .

They both fail.

Both of them have no desire to limit the role of government in our lives in any meaningful way.

OC for ME

Who did you vote for in 2008? Who will you vote for in 2012?

Yes, ALL democrats that continue to vote for democrats are anti-liberty and anti-citizen.

Why are there not any "DINOs" because they would be republicans. RINOs exist to get elected in predominately republic districts and sometime states.

Liberals place their liberalism first and foremost to the exclusion of all other allegiances.....or personal beliefs.

sudden valley gunner

Who did you vote for in 2008? Who will you vote for in 2012?

Yes, ALL democrats that continue to vote for democrats are anti-liberty and anti-citizen.

Why are there not any "DINOs" because they would be republicans. RINOs exist to get elected in predominately republic districts and sometime states.

Liberals place their liberalism first and foremost to the exclusion of all other allegiances.....or personal beliefs.

The term for DINO's are "Blue Dog Democrats".

You post is just as applicable to so called "conservatives".

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The constitution is a law limiting and restricting and granting a few powers to Federal government. So in my humble opinion it is not the role of Federal government to promote and protect the "principles" set out in that document.
It must follow that document in executing the limited roles granted to it by the states in that document. .

They both fail.

Both of them have no desire to limit the role of government in our lives in any meaningful way.

+1

I'm trying to verify a reported comment that Romney's standard for whether to spend money on a given program was whether it was worth going into debt to China to pay for the program. If true, he's essentially saying the limit on government spending is whether China is willing to finance it. Not whether it meets constitutional standards.

DrakeZ07

Oh screw it, it's not worth getting frustrated over to try to fight the endless stereotypes and assumptions that certain immature, mindless drones throw out for the simple fact that it turns them on to p*ss on people who try to show a defiance to their assumptions.

Well, the President is the leader and spokesman of his Party...

So, while we know that not ALL members of ANY organization are on the same exact page, we are allowed some generalities.

If the generalities are bad enough, well, who do you really have the problem with?

In regards to your question; The people who make the bad assumptions, and the ones who second,a nd third them, without giving something/someone the benefit of the doubt, and cry and whine about mob rule, but are too blind to see that their as much apart of it, as the people they hate.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The Democrats have a written, agreed-upon, official Party platform, do they not?

Aren't we allowed to generalize Democrats based on that Party platform?

You are most certainly allowed to like many Democrats, vote for them, support their social programs, if you want.

But if you aren't willing to be generalized with them or their leader, perhaps you should not have a Party affiliation. I don't.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The constitution does say that it is a federal responsibility to protect us from OUTSIDE aggression ... hardly something that can be argued against. But in the context of gun control inside the US it is a merit-less argument.

DrakeZ07

The Democrats have a written, agreed-upon, official Party platform, do they not?

Aren't we allowed to generalize Democrats based on that Party platform?

You are most certainly allowed to like many Democrats, vote for them, support their social programs, if you want.

But if you aren't willing to be generalized with them or their leader, perhaps you should not have a Party affiliation. I don't.

Easier said than done, but sadly, as far as the local elections staff, and drivers licensing people are concerned, you're not voting unless you tell the state that you're either a Democrat, or a Republican.

So it's hard to not be affiliated with either party, and yea, the party has a platform, but as American's, and by freedom of association, we can join a party we find the most in common, and yet disagree in whatever fashion with the platform they run, and ought to be able to defend themselves, and others, from gross assumptions, right?

Like, how someone could Join the Republican party, but be a tea partier, and disagree with much of Mitt Romney, or McCain, or whoever, but still defend themselves, and others, from bad assumptions by idiot Democrats, yes?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Easier said than done, but sadly, as far as the local elections staff, and drivers licensing people are concerned, you're not voting unless you tell the state that you're either a Democrat, or a Republican.

I've never heard of that. Are you sure? There is no problem in my state being a registered voter with no party affiliation. You're saying you must choose, and only between the two biggest parties, to register to vote in your state? I'm not buying that, sorry, as it is quite absurd! Can you verify that, please?

Last edited:

eye95

I've never heard of that. Are you sure? There is no problem in my state being a registered voter with no party affiliation. You're saying you must choose, and only between the two biggest parties, to register to vote in your state? I'm not buying that, sorry, as it is quite absurd! Can you verify that, please?

There is no requirement in my State to choose a party affiliation either. I know of no State that has such a requirement. Some States require you to choose a party if you want to vote in that party's primaries. But even then, if you don't want to vote in a primary you don't have to choose.

That poster still hasn't acknowledged how I pointed out how horribly he botched his first post to me, so don't expect him to address your concern with his latest bit of inaccuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>