• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lenexa Open Carry Ban Officially Challenged

marine0300

The Libertarian Party of KS has officially challenged Lenexa’s open carry ban.

If you live, work, or have dealings with Lenexa please contact the Mayor and Council urging them to review their weapons ordinance and make changes that comply with state law.

Remind them that there have been two KS Attorney General Opinions dealing with open carry and that Wichita and Overland Park recently changed their ordinances to comply with those opinions and state law.

Please remember to be completely professional and respectful in your communications with our elected officials.

Mayor - Michael Boehm Mboehm@lenexa.com 913.894.0720

Ward 1- Joe Karlin jkarlin@lenexa.com 913.477.7550

Steve Lemons slemons@lenexa.com 913.492.2355

Ward 2 - Diane Linver dlinver@lenexa.com 913.441.8270

Thomas R. Nolte tnolte@lenexa.com 913.390.9433

Ward 3 - Lou Serrone lserrone@lenexa.com 913.492.4434

Amy K. Slater aslater@lenexa.com 913.492.1867

Ward 4 - Mandy Stuke mstuke@lenexa.com 913.492.9519

Andy Huckaba ahuckaba@lenexa.com 913.485.3210

Lenexa’s Weapons Ordinance: http://www.lenexa.com/LenexaCode/CityCodes.html

Section 3-9-I-1 UNLAWFUL USE OF WEAPONS.
A.Unlawful use of weapons is knowingly: 1.Selling, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing or carrying any bludgeon, sandclub, metal knuckles or throwing star or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife or any knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement.

2.Carrying concealed on one's person, transporting within reach of an occupant of a motor vehicle, or possessing with intent to use the same unlawfully against another a stun gun, dagger, dirk, billy, blackjack, slingshot, dangerous knife, straight-edged razor, stiletto, nunchaku, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character; except, that an ordinary pocket knife with no blade more than four inches (4") in length shall not be construed to be a dangerous knife or a dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument.

3.Carrying on one's person or in any land, water or air vehicle, with intent to use the same unlawfully, a tear gas or smoke bomb or projector or any object containing a noxious liquid, gas or substance.

4.Carrying any stun gun or firearm on one's person, whether concealed or not, except when the person is on his land, in his dwelling or in his fixed place of business, or unless such stun gun or firearm is unloaded and encased in a container which completely encloses the stun gun or firearm.

5.Carrying any firearm or other weapon into any jail, juvenile detention facility, courthouse, courtroom, city hall, or any other building owned or leased by any public governmental entity.

6.Transporting any stun gun or firearm in any air, land, or water vehicle, unless such stun gun or firearm is unloaded and encased in a container which completely encloses the stun gun or firearm.

7.Setting a spring gun.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
How about organizing aN OPEN CARRY BBQ picnic in a Lenexa public park?

Individuals could decide if they want to carry loaded or unloaded - nobody has raised any objection to the AG's opinion as to unloaded open carry so that should be a safe harbor. Meanwhile, police have no power to randomly seize open carriers and peerfomr load checks anyway :)

SixGunCowboy

Open carry BBQ in a Lenexa Park..

Good idea.. Problem is, since it is illegal to O.C. in Lenexa, KS., they might have a problem with that. Change that to Overland Park, KS., since it is okay to "open carry," you might get a better response.

kc215

http://www.lenexa.com/minutes/minutes/cc20121016ag.html
City council meeting tomorrow. Based on the website, the mayor and who knows who else were at the league of municipalities meeting last week. I'm sure the topic came up. I sent a letter to everyone encouraging them to amend the ordinance. No responses from anyone, as of tonight. I may make some phone calls tomorrow.

Last edited:

kc215

As stated elsewhere, I went and brought up changing the ordinance during new business. I mentioned the changes in Wichita and OP. BTW, they appointed a new police chief and swore him in. So, I brought up OC in front to the new and old chief.:eek:

marine0300

KC215,

Thank you so much for standing up for what is right! One person can change things and it starts by simply standing up, sometimes alone, and saying what needs to be done.

We’ll see what direction the Lenexa city council wants to take with open carry. I could be wrong but I believe they discussed the issue in executive session.

Everyone knows it’s the law and it’s only a matter of time before all cities comply. Even KCK will eventually have to change either willingly or in court.

Truth is the truth.

You did good!