Thread: Terrorizing the public law question

Terrorizing the public law question

I want to start OCing and frankly this law scares the crap out of me, could someone please give me some insight to this law and if any of you have ever had a problem with someone calling the law on you ? And can I get arrested if someone does call the police and what should I do if this ever happens ?

First, try searching the NC forum here. Not trying to be short, but this has been discussed repeatedly and there is great info buried in here. Sometimes the search feature is a bit sketchy though so here is the current, although old, case law on GATTTOTP.

State V Huntley

http://www.guncite.com/court/state/25nc418.html

Have you read the NC Flyer, there is a whole section dedicated to this topic on the flyer that you can carry around with you?

I did a search and couldn't find anything specific to my question, but thanks anyway.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I did a search and couldn't find anything specific to my question, but thanks anyway.

Bruce
    try GATTTOTP, that's the shorthand here for Going Armed to the Terror of the Public (or People). Basically, it's doing what it's intended too by most folks that bring it up. Scare you out of carrying. However, that's a gross misuse of the idea.

Short answer, Could you get arrested? Yes. You can get arrested for darn near anything.

Would it stick simply for OC'ing? Highly unlikely, to the point that I can't think of a single instance of it in NC. And believe me I, or folks here, have been looking. There was one that came very close, but they ended up substituting a city statute for GATTTOTP and they guy was breaking the city statute by carrying on city property.

And someone's complaint is not the key criteria for using GATTTOTP, terrorizing the public is the key criteria. Read through the case law I posted above. It's pretty enlightening.

good job as usual CHIEF, then main thing is don't panic, it will get easier as you OC. just staycool and know your laws. if a cop does harass you. it is up to you how far you want to take it. most will ask you for ID, and here again it is up to you how much you want to give them. check out this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

if you ain't waving the handgun around, or making threats, or basically being an a$$, then you don't have anything to worry about.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.