• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Terrorizing the public law question

Bruce

I want to start OCing and frankly this law scares the crap out of me, could someone please give me some insight to this law and if any of you have ever had a problem with someone calling the law on you ? And can I get arrested if someone does call the police and what should I do if this ever happens ?

REDFIVE48

Have you read the NC Flyer, there is a whole section dedicated to this topic on the flyer that you can carry around with you?

chiefjason

I did a search and couldn't find anything specific to my question, but thanks anyway.

Bruce

try GATTTOTP, that's the shorthand here for Going Armed to the Terror of the Public (or People). Basically, it's doing what it's intended too by most folks that bring it up. Scare you out of carrying. However, that's a gross misuse of the idea.

Short answer, Could you get arrested? Yes. You can get arrested for darn near anything.

Would it stick simply for OC'ing? Highly unlikely, to the point that I can't think of a single instance of it in NC. And believe me I, or folks here, have been looking. There was one that came very close, but they ended up substituting a city statute for GATTTOTP and they guy was breaking the city statute by carrying on city property.

And someone's complaint is not the key criteria for using GATTTOTP, terrorizing the public is the key criteria. Read through the case law I posted above. It's pretty enlightening.

papa bear

good job as usual CHIEF, then main thing is don't panic, it will get easier as you OC. just staycool and know your laws. if a cop does harass you. it is up to you how far you want to take it. most will ask you for ID, and here again it is up to you how much you want to give them. check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

if you ain't waving the handgun around, or making threats, or basically being an a$$, then you don't have anything to worry about.