• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looks like Romney won big

eye95

I wished Romney was a bit tougher, but I must be a rough grader. Frank Luntz assembled 24 voters from a Colorado town that has consistently picked the winner since 1940. Thirteen had voted for Obama, 11 for McCain. Four of these thought Obama won. Twenty thought Romney won. They were brutal in their criticism of Obama's performance. The praise for Romney was amazing. None of the panelists said they had settled on a candidate before the debate. Almost all of them said they had chosen a candidate after the debate--and they are almost all voting for Romney!

Wow. He did a lot better than I thought he did. (But that's because I wanted him to go harder right.)

I'll see if I can find the Luntz segment on YouTube.

Beretta92FSLady

Romney came out sweating, and swinging. If you are judging by the most aggressive of the two, Romney took it.--President Obama played it cool; Romney better not become complacent, and to sure of himself.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Interesting article:

[h=1]Why the Media Will Ensure Romney Wins the Debate[/h] Posted: 10/03/2012 2:17 pm

React
follow-arrow.png

Amazing
Inspiring
Funny
Scary
Hot
Crazy
Important
Weird

Follow
follow-arrow.png

Elections 2012 , Mitt Romney , Barack Obama , Presidential Debates , Elections 2012 , Presidential Debate , Media News

[h=4]share this story[/h]

Submit this story

There is nothing the media likes more than a good story, even if the story has to be exaggerated a bit. And the story the media will create tonight will be of Mitt Romney: The Other Comeback Kid.

News reports are already showing the media setting up expectations that tonight is Romney's night. Polls are tightening, Obama messages are changing, and Romney is gaining ground with new tactics. The headlines are everywhere.
Why?
Well, if Romney "loses" tonight's debate the race is effectively over. But the person who "wins" the debate is often determined by the media spin after. And it's in the media's best interest to ensure that Romney wins tonight.
The expectations for the president are sky high. Polls show him expected to win tonight's debate 2-1 and many in the country expect the president will win the election.
That sets the bar pretty low for Governor Romney, a bar that would be remarkable if he didn't meet. After all, he has spent most of the last month doing debate prep. And, lest we forget, he handily beat many his Republican opponents in many high-stakes debates.
For the last few weeks Romney has created a narrative of a losing campaign -- shifting from tactic to tactic, swing state polls that are breaking against him. But that story is getting old and the media needs something else to cover.
Comebacks and conflict -- perfect fodder for the 24-hour media cycle.
So you can expect the debate spin to show a Romney win. In fact, you can expect publications to say "Obama fails to deliver knockout blow" and commentators to note how "Romney hammered the president on the economy and showed empathy for the country's economic woes."
[snippers]
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zach-friend/why-the-media-will-ensure_b_1936447.html

Romney, the comeback kid! The next debate is on Domestic, and Foreign...I wonder how well Romney will do with that, considering he has zero Foreign policy experience, that is, nothing other than 'increase the industrial military complex' by infusing it with hundreds of billions more dollars over the coming years.

The third debate is all Foreign Policy, FWIU, President Obama will deliver.

Ca Patriot

Obama will say "i killed bin laden"

Romney should say "no you didnt, the CIA and military did"

Obama "yeah but i gave the order"

Romney "no you didnt, the order was given shortly after 9-11 to capture or kill bin laden"

Obama "yeah, but thats my whole foreign policy victory, dont take this away from me"

Romney "did you and your administration cover up al-qaeda terrorist attacks in multiple countries"

Obama "i killed bin laden"

Romney "are you stopping iran from getting a nuclear weapon"

Romney "is the middle east exploding in anti-america violence"

Romney "what foreign policy success have you had?"

Beretta92FSLady

Romney "no you didnt, the order was given shortly after 9-11 to capture or kill bin laden"

Obama "yeah, but thats my whole foreign policy victory, dont take this away from me"

Romney "did you and your administration cover up al-qaeda terrorist attacks in multiple countries"

LOL. Romney won the debate. He better not start looking at curtain patterns just yet.

Redbaron007

In addition:

Obama: those muslims brothers got ticked off at an American for the film he made, and then they killed the Marines and Ambassador

Romney: We got nailed again on 9/11 while you were on watch...what is your foreign policy? Blame film makers?

Obama: But I killed bin laden and arrested the movie maker!

:rolleyes:

We'll see what King Obama has to say.

eye95

I didn't post this thread as a place for mindless Obama-bashing. Although I am realistic enough to know that some just gotta do it. So, I'll ask you to stop, but not expect anything.

The point is that all the polls and focus groups have Romney mopping up the canvas with Obama. It ain't even close. So will there be a shift in the election polling? I expect more than the usual point or two.

In Luntz's group, 13 out of 24 folks voted for Obama in 2008. After the debate, support for Romney was 20 to 4! That is huge.

Fuller Malarkey

The debate confirmed little more than the need to reassess the qualities and qualifications for moderators. The disrespect Romney showed Lehrer might be an indicator of his view of the rest of his hopeful future subordinates....and may well cost him as the media plays it up.

Romney has been involved in what, about 20 debates so far this campaign, giving him opportunity to prepare his game, and O. came out of the chute cold. Anyone familiar with O.'s debate history knows he and his handlers will adapt, and even the right knows that the aggressive approach they used last night will be used against them if they rely on it any further.

Summary? The right will vote right, the left isn't very discouraged, and the undecided are still....undecided.

nobama

Interesting article:

Romney, the comeback kid! The next debate is on Domestic, and Foreign...I wonder how well Romney will do with that, considering he has zero Foreign policy experience, that is, nothing other than 'increase the industrial military complex' by infusing it with hundreds of billions more dollars over the coming years.

The third debate is all Foreign Policy, FWIU, President Obama will deliver.

Yea, community agitators have alot more foreign policy experience LOL!! obozo has been campaigning since 2009.

zack991

Most people know that I am no fan of Romney and certainly I am no fan of obama, But Romney certainly went to town on obama and his polices on Jobs. Lets just hope he increases the fire under obama in the other topics. You could tell obama was uncomfortable during the debate.

papa bear

hey EYE95 where have you been?

i watched the "debate", only in the media can call this a contest

i watched the talking heads this morning. it seems the Romney supporters were a little surprised and the Soetoro Supporters were mad, at him for letting them down. come on folks, one he didn't have his teleprompter, and two, he wasn't used to someone disagreeing with him. i think he was trying real hard for his arrogance not to show.

i thought it was funny how the alphabet channels were fact checking Romney , but didn't say a word about Soetoro

Ca Patriot

The debate confirmed little more than the need to reassess the qualities and qualifications for moderators. The disrespect Romney showed Lehrer might be an indicator of his view of the rest of his hopeful future subordinates....and may well cost him as the media plays it up.

Romney has been involved in what, about 20 debates so far this campaign, giving him opportunity to prepare his game, and O. came out of the chute cold. Anyone familiar with O.'s debate history knows he and his handlers will adapt, and even the right knows that the aggressive approach they used last night will be used against them if they rely on it any further.

Summary? The right will vote right, the left isn't very discouraged, and the undecided are still....undecided.

The reason Obama was so cold is because this time, for the first time in his life he has to run on a record, HIS RECORD.

He knows he cant brag about his record. He knows the blame Bush record is old and wont work anymore.

He knows he didnt bring hope and change so he cant use that anymore.

He knows he didnt create jobs. He knows his signature domestic policy is terribly unpopular and got 48 democrats booted out of congress.

Obama knows he sucks and the voters know it too.

Deanimator

The debate was the equivalent of the scene in "Tombstone" where Wyatt Earp takes over the gambling concession in the saloon:

"No need to go heeled to get the bulge on a tub like you."

Romney slapped Obama across the face and threw him out into the street.

I can't wait to see Obama try to explain his rationale for:

1. Arming the Sinaloa cartel.
  2. Allowing the U.S. Ambassador to Libya to walk into an ambush and be murdered.

Obama's foreign policy experience is equivalent to Captain Joseph Hazelwood's ship handling experience.

Obama: "Osama bin Laden is dead."
Romney: "So are Brian Terry and hundreds of innocent Mexicans and you killed ALL of them."

Last edited:

jbone

Interesting article:

... The next debate is on ..., and Foreign...I wonder how well Romney will do with that, considering he has zero Foreign policy experience,...

Well if that is true, than Obama and Romney will have something thing in common! Because after 4 years, Obama still has the same ZERO experience as when he went in.

jbone

But Romney certainly went to town on obama and his polices on Jobs..

Romney cleaned Obozo's clock!

And didn't even have to remind Obama about his GE, jobs Czar guy, yah, that china job sending guy. Or, his "minuscule 3.6 percent" tax. Funny how Obozo say's Romney plans on doing what Obama's and his henchmen have been doing the past four years. I bet Romney is saving that fact for later. He must have figure he screwed him hard enough with the 90 billion to failed green BS in only a couple years, as Obozo complained about 2 billion to Oil, shut him down hard.

General Electric's (GE) U.S. profits in 2010 came to $5.1 billion, while worldwide it earned $14.2 billion. It's tax bill for the year? $0.00. Over the last three years, GE's effective tax rate -- how much it actually pays the feds -- is a minuscule 3.6 percent. By the way, since 2002 the "imagination at work" company has put its thinking cap on and cut 20 percent of its domestic work force, while shipping thousands of jobs overseas. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-43552187/ges-scandalous-tax-breaks-are-rooted-in-politics/

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I already know the stances of the 2 on "the issues," so I don't watch the debates.

I imagine it went like this:

Do you support the NDAA that passed, the one that allowed detaining americans indefinately and blah blah blah?

OBAMA- OF COURSE I DO I SIGNED IT INTO LAW

ROMNEY - OF COURSE I DO!

Do you support banning assault weapons?

OBAMA- OF COURSE I DO THEY KEEP GETTING INTO MEXICO

ROMNEY - OF COURSE I DO, I SUPPORTED AN AWB AS THE GOVERNOR OF MASS.

Do you support shredding the 4th amendment and spying on americans without warrants?

OBAMA- OF COURSE I DO, I KEPT THE PATRIOT ACT GOING!

ROMNEY- OF COURSE I DO!

Do you think we should keep policing the world?

OBAMA - OF COURSE, AS PRESIDENT I HAVE KEPT TROOPS IN EVERYONE'S BUSINESS

ROMNEY - OF COURSE I DO!

Do you support Obama care?

OBAMA- OF COURSE I DO I AM OBAMA

ROMNEY- OF COURSE I DO I STARTED IT

alright ladies and gents, text 1800 I LOVE BIG GOVERNMENT to vote for who won!

Beretta92FSLady

Well if that is true, than Obama and Romney will have something thing in common! Because after 4 years, Obama still has the same ZERO experience as when he went in.

Whether President Obama's approach is going to hurt him or not is, well, unfolding. There are still two more debates between the two.

Obama is a politically savvy person, and if he seen it fit to play possum, Romney better watch out.

BTW, apparently Obama got four more minutes than Romney in the whole debate.--Romney cutting in didn't amount to much: Tortoise and the hair ring a bell?

Beretta92FSLady

Romney cleaned Obozo's clock!

[snippers]

Romney won the debate, but it was hardly a Reagan moment.

Romney is on the attack, but he didn't really land any hard punches. I watch the entire debate, can you point where Romney actually landed a hard hit?

The Obama campaign has an excellent ground game. 90 minutes v. the thirty-some-odd days isn't much.--I realize that millions watched the debates, but of those millions, I am guessing that most were like me, already knowing who they're voting for, and hoping to watch a good boxing match.

I felt like I was watching Romney sweaty, pumped-up with energy, chasing Obama around the mat, Obama trying to stay clear of Romney, and Romney getting an A for effort, while Obama got an A for being some benign body playing it safe.

As I stated, there are two more debates, and Romney had to prove something going in because of his gaffes, and the lack of support from his base. If Romney trips-up during either of the other two debates, he will be lose that boost quicker than his mediocre bounce post-debate.

I wish we would have a meet-up group here in Washington, somewhere, hang out, eat some food, and watch the debate.

I'm wondering if Obama sat back and let Romney dig his own hole...teeing up for the VP debates, for Biden, and the last two debates. We will see in the coming weeks, but I find it hard to believe that Obama accidentally sat there, calm as a Hindu Cow.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The reason Obama was so cold is because this time, for the first time in his life he has to run on a record, HIS RECORD.
..... He knows the blame Bush record is old and wont work anymore.

But he still did blame bush ... and people all over took this view as a big negative....v. big negative