Thread: New to OC

New to OC

Well I've been living in Idaho for almost a year now and have recently taken to carrying in the open. I am not 21 so I cannot get a CCW permit, and figured since open carry is legal in Idaho I would just do that to avoid any legal troubles. I have never been a self conscious person, but I have to admit it is a little awkward at times dealing with some of the looks I get, but I assume that is just something you get used to t and feel little more comfortable. So far I haven't had any negative remarks from anybody (except for family, most of which are hunters go figure. I would assume they would be more aware of gun laws) and have had no problems in any businesses. There is one question I had regarding preemption in the Idaho Constituion, however. My grandfather told me that I need to really be careful because some cities/counties in the state do not allow open carry, but I understood the law to prevent and city/county/incorporated township from passing any laws that would make OC illegal. I think I am correct on this, but can you guys either confirm this or correct me.

Now to go off topic a little bit here, if any of you guys live in the Post Falls/CdA area do you have any recommendations as to some good places to make firearms purchases at a reasonable price? I am carrying a '80s model H&R model 999 .22LR revolver which is great for plinking an would still be effective in a self defense situation with a well placed shot, but I would like to upgrade to a Ruger SR9C or a Glock 17 for a little more stopping power if the need ever arises.
    Last edited by YoungGunz; 10-04-2012 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Post didn't make sense

It is awkward at first. But it really depends on how you carry yourself. Sometimes when I get prolonged "almost gonna call 911" stares I engage in a friendly conversation.

See, I had kind of wondered if that may have something to do with it. The way I grew up, I had to be tough. I have kind of developed a face that when a person first meets me and before they get to know me, they think I look mean. I have had a lot of people that I end up getting to know fairly well tell me that when they first met me I scared them or I will have people that think I am mad all the time until they have spent a good amount of time with me. It is something I have been trying to change, but a lot of it is jut who I am. This wouldn't constitute displaying a gun in a intimidatig orthreatening manner would it?

New to OC

Welcome to The forum! Not sure on Idaho's preemption laws as I am not a resident. Some advise especially being new to OC:
    Buy a digital recorder with a lanyard and wear it. Always record police encounters. And lastly watch this video as it has lots of good info about talking or not talking to police:
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=6wXkI...%3D6wXkI4t7nuc

Cheers!

Re: New to OC

Welcome to Idaho and the forum. Idaho statutes can be found at http://legislature.idaho.gov/statutesrules.htm.

Idaho constitution Article I Section 11 http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/IC/ArtISect11.htm and Idaho Statute 18-3302j http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/...CT18-3302J.htm will help in understanding Idaho laws and preemption.
    Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bowb; 10-07-2012 at 06:18 PM.

impact guns in boise always has the best deals and a killer website. they also have a section on small carry guns. ive bought 5 or 6 guns from em. i love my ruger lcp i picked up a year ago. i forget im carrying it. i own an sr9 and wish i would have spent a little more and gotten a 9mm sig 2022 with night sights or glock. you will kick yourself later if you buy an sr9

Quote Originally Posted by jugglzo View Post
    impact guns in boise always has the best deals and a killer website. they also have a section on small carry guns. ive bought 5 or 6 guns from em. i love my ruger lcp i picked up a year ago. i forget im carrying it. i own an sr9 and wish i would have spent a little more and gotten a 9mm sig 2022 with night sights or glock. you will kick yourself later if you buy an sr9
    Thanks for the input there. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I have found myself having a few more questions about Idaho law. First, the way I understand Idaho law, asheriff can issue a

A CCW at their discretion when the person is under 2 1years of age. I was just curious how hard it was to get that done or if it is even worth looking into. Also, I was curious what would constitute a weapon being visible. We are coming up on the winter months and I was wondering if I am legal with the holster sticking out past the bottom of my jacket or if I need to tuck the jacket behind the gun so that the grip is visible.

i dont know about the under age thing but covering your firearm with a jacket is a concealed weapon. as much as i don't like em you might try a drop leg holster.

New to OC

Get a holster with a jacket slot. I have a level 3 duty holster from bianchi that could fit a winter jacket between my belt and the gun.

Thumbs up

I'll definitely look into that. Thanks.