Thread: Huntington Banks

Huntington Banks

Hello, I am Administrator to Open Carry Advocates, a page on facebook. I write letters on behalf of my members concerning treatment by LEO and corporations. Right now I'm working on Huntington Bank, I can't seem to find out what their corporate policy is concerning concealed or open carry. Since this State has branches, I thought I'd ask around to find out if anyone knows of one posted 'no guns' or not. Thanks, jeff

Banned
    What's your facebook link?

Quote Originally Posted by JSlack7851 View Post
    Hello, I am Administrator to Open Carry Advocates, a page on facebook. I write letters on behalf of my members concerning treatment by LEO and corporations. Right now I'm working on Huntington Bank, I can't seem to find out what their corporate policy is concerning concealed or open carry. Since this State has branches, I thought I'd ask around to find out if anyone knows of one posted 'no guns' or not. Thanks, jeff
    I use Huntington myself. I was in there yesterday OCing. Nobody said anything to me or even looked at me funny. Seems to not be a problem with them.
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 10-05-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: deleted inaccurate info, corrected spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by backenj View Post
    I use Huntington myself. I was in there yesterday OCing. In Michigan you can't CC in a bank, only OC and that's only if you have a CPL. Nobody said anything to me or even looked at me funny. Seems to not be a problom with them.
    With a CPL you can CC or OC in a bank - http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(nvb...me=mcl-28-425o

Without a CPL you can't do either - http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ke3...e=mcl-750-234d
    Last edited by fozzy71; 10-04-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Huntington Banks

I use Huntington myself. I was in there yesterday OCing. In Michigan you can't CC in a bank, only OC and that's only if you have a CPL. Nobody said anything to me or even looked at me funny. Seems to not be a problom with them.
    Whoa whoa whoa! Cite me where it says you can't CC in a bank if you have a CPL. Here's a hint, it doesn't.

Reference MCL 28.425o
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

holy crap, please edit that post to include ACCURATE information.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

... ...

I fixed it. So, about Huntington Bank, anyone know what corp policy is, or are we just assuming because the people that work there haven't said anything.......yet?
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

I contacted my local Huntington bank in the Standale area about open carry when I was having issues with 5/3rd bank. The manager said she wasn't sure, and she called me back after contacting corporate. She was supposedly told that they do not allow open carry. Who knows if that actually came from corporate, or if they even understood that it is lawful in Michigan. An email might be a good idea so that we have something in writing.
    Last edited by FerretMI; 10-05-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by FerretMI View Post
    ....when I was having issues with 5/3rd bank. ....
    fwiw, I have no problems OCing at my 5/3 branch. I have carried there many times and even had some loan meetings in the branch manager's office while I OC'd and never had so much as a question.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

i thought the general idea was to not ask for a policy and just carry there unless they are posted. seems that when i do it this way i have no problems, if i ask first they normally think the policy is no, probably because they are just not familiar with the laws. jmo

5/3? There's a better chance THEY will rob YOU. Those basterds have no soul....
    Last edited by DrTodd; 10-08-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    agreed. personally i don't even use banks, i prefer credit unions.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    i thought the general idea was to not ask for a policy and just carry there unless they are posted. seems that when i do it this way i have no problems, if i ask first they normally think the policy is no, probably because they are just not familiar with the laws. jmo
    ^exactly.

Initially, one of our members contacted a district manager in loss prevention, in Toledo. I then contacted customer service in the corporate office. This jewel didn't have a clue and had to ask another associate who told her 'no guns whatsoever'. Since we got two different answers I wrote the Senior Vice President in charge of Human Resources by snail mail, due to a lack of cooperation getting a e mail address. I haven't heard back from him, but a day after I called customer service I received this:

Huntington respects the rights of Ohio’s citizens to carry registered, concealed weapons where allowed by State Law. As a whole, we have maintained our dedication to our customers and the citizens of Ohio by choosing to not ban firearms (and posting “do not carry” stickers on our doors) from our locations. However, there are specific locations that due to the security features in place require us to not allow firearms in those locations as such they do have stickers advising our customers that weapons are not permitted on the premises.

I understand the branches that are posted have 'man trap' doors. Apparently they won't let someone in if they are carrying a lot of metal and need to be let in manually.

Thank you for your responses!

Initially, one of our members contacted a district manager in loss prevention, in Toledo. I then contacted customer service in the corporate office. This jewel didn't have a clue and had to ask another associate who told her 'no guns whatsoever'. Since we got two different answers I wrote the Senior Vice President in charge of Human Resources by snail mail, due to a lack of cooperation getting a e mail address. I haven't heard back from him, but a day after I called customer service I received this:

Huntington respects the rights of Ohio’s citizens to carry registered, concealed weapons where allowed by State Law. As a whole, we have maintained our dedication to our customers and the citizens of Ohio by choosing to not ban firearms (and posting “do not carry” stickers on our doors) from our locations. However, there are specific locations that due to the security features in place require us to not allow firearms in those locations as such they do have stickers advising our customers that weapons are not permitted on the premises.

I understand the branches that are posted have 'man trap' doors. Apparently they won't let someone in if they are carrying a lot of metal and need to be let in manually.

Thank you for your responses!
    So, those 'man trap' doors bulletproof?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

So, those 'man trap' doors bulletproof?
    I would venture to guess they are, a cheaper idea would be to train all the staff and post pro gun signs. A idea I will pass on to the bank should I get a response. Bottom lines are better paid attention too when there is a better idea that will save money.

Huntington Banks

I would venture to guess they are, a cheaper idea would be to train all the staff and post pro gun signs. A idea I will pass on to the bank should I get a response. Bottom lines are better paid attention too when there is a better idea that will save money.
    Training emotional responses is a very difficult proposition…
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Your experience too?
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Your experience too?
    Oh, yeah. No interest in working with people. Lost your job? Lose your house. Oh, well, the only thing I missed was my credit rating, and that can be fixed.

So you can CC in a bank that is not posted and is not a federal type financial institution?
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    So you can CC in a bank that is not posted and is not a federal type financial institution?
    Yes, with a CPL.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Do you have a CPL? If you do did they not cover this list of places you cannot CC a pistol?

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ol1...me=mcl-28-425o

(1) Subject to subsection (5), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a

(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A school or school property except that a parent or legal guardian of a student of the school is not precluded from carrying a concealed pistol while in a vehicle on school property, if he or she is dropping the student off at the school or picking up the child from the school. As used in this section, "school" and "school property" mean those terms as defined in section 237a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.237a.

(b) A public or private child care center or day care center, public or private child caring institution, or public or private child placing agency.

(c) A sports arena or stadium.

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business. The Michigan liquor control commission shall develop and make available to holders of licenses under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, an appropriate sign stating that "This establishment prohibits patrons from carrying concealed weapons". The owner or operator of an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, may, but is not required to, post the sign developed under this subdivision. A record made available by an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, necessary to enforce this subdivision is exempt from disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.

(e) Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official or officials of the church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship permit the carrying of concealed pistol on that property or facility.

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

(g) A hospital.

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

(2) Subject to subsection (5), an individual shall not carry a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology on any of the premises described in subsection (1).

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol in violation of R 432.1212 or a successor rule of the Michigan administrative code promulgated under the Michigan gaming control and revenue act, 1996 IL 1, MCL 432.201 to 432.226.

(4) As used in subsection (1), "premises" does not include parking areas of the places identified under subsection (1).
    No mention of banks or financial institutions.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine