• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you open carry, people will test you.........

self preservation

The first time I heard this was in my CCDW class. Since the instructor makes money off of teaching CCDW classes, I wrote his statement off as a way of him pushing for CC. But I bet over the last month I have heard 5 or 6 people say this. A couple had their CCDW so I assume their instuctor told them the same thing and they took it to heart. But the others didn't have a CCDW and said that they would like to OC but was afraid of being "tested".

I have only been OC'ing for a few years now and I have never had a problem (not like that). Have any of you ever been "tested" for OC'ing?

09jisaac

It is (mostly) a myth. You will not get "tested" any more than what you would be if you weren't carrying. If you are hanging around shady places you will get tested more whether you are OCing or not. If you stay in places considered "safe" you probably won't.

neuroblades

Additionally, it depends upon how you carry yourself and present yourself to others around you. If you come off as someone that's scared or frightened by the fact of OC when you first start, others WILL pick up on it and might try to "test" you on the matter. If you equip yourself with the knowledge of the laws surrounding OC and the facts of the matter, you will build confidence and in a few outings, you will be more confident and aware of those around you. You have to carry yourself asthough you belong wherever it is that you are.

hermannr

I have OC'd since 1970..what kind of "test" is he talking about?

My BIL tried to remove my carry once (I was allowing him to try) but couldn't figure out how to get it out of the holster...then he said: "Ok, where is the button?" (custom leather holster, no button, it just comes out one way, or it does not budge...can't be removed from behind.

Is that what you are talking about? If it is. it just doesn't happen.

Last edited:

mlr

I have to believe that testing does happen now and then to open carriers. The same as it happens in everyday life when you have a person attempting to show how tough they are at the expense of another. There really are folks out there who will try to take down the baddest guy on the block for no other reason than to show their dominance. When it comes to firearms I would bet it will be more verbal testing by way of ridicule rather than inviting them out into the street at high noon.

Michael

davidmcbeth

Banned
It is (mostly) a myth. You will not get "tested" any more than what you would be if you weren't carrying. If you are hanging around shady places you will get tested more whether you are OCing or not. If you stay in places considered "safe" you probably won't.

I don't think that's completely accurate. If you are carrying in a lilly white neighborhood with a small PD, they will be on you ... but the right to keep and bear arms means little (see Katrina) if they can walk up to you and say "give me your gun". Heck, I have my guns to protect me from them...

self preservation

Will this be a written or oral test?

I hope it's multiple choice.

For today it will be a written test. And yes, it's multiple choice.

Q. You are walking down the road one sunny day OC'ing your brand new sidearm when you are approached by 3 young men. All 3 start harrassing you, asking questions such as "do you think you are a bad ass" and "do you even have the balls to use that thing" and so on. You would respond by:

A. Curling up in a ball and cry like a little bitch.
B. Tell the 3 young men to join OCDO.
C. Start shooting them one by one.
D. Go all Chuck Norris on them and round house kick them all in the head.
E. None of the above.
F. All of the above.

Eeyore

For today it will be a written test. And yes, it's multiple choice.

Q. You are walking down the road one sunny day OC'ing your brand new sidearm when you are approached by 3 young men. All 3 start harrassing you, asking questions such as "do you think you are a bad ass" and "do you even have the balls to use that thing" and so on. You would respond by:

From http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?94789-Life-In-Dickson-City/page3 here's how JahWarrior handled it:

Yesterday, while walking through the parking lot of Walmart, I passed by a couple, arguing. Well, it was mostly the guy, calling his girlfriend a "f*ckin' moron," and throwing an empty water bottle at her head. I've learned my lesson intervening in these kind of things, and since he wasn't actually beating on her, I ignored them and kept walking. The guy, a white or hispanic guy, wearing Phillies gear from head to toe, and covered in bad tattoos, saw me walking in their direction. I was carrying my gun crossdraw, so it's quick to spot. He stood by his car, forgetting about belittling his grilfriend for the moment. He stared at me, angrily, as I walked. As I passed him, I heard him hiss, "Oh, a f*ckin' tough guy, huh?" I ignored him, and kept walking. He then said, "Yo! You! With the gun!" I turned and faced him, from about 40' away.

"What do you want?" I said.

"Think you're a tough guy with that f*ckin' gun?"

I considered him for a moment, then laughed, and turned around, and continued on my way. I heard him yell out, "Yeah, keep walkin', b!tch. You know you don't want none of this!" I turned my head to look at him as I walked away, and he had his arms raised, in a challenging posture. I then laughed again, and kept walking. "Yo, what the f*ck are you laughin' at, b!tch?" He started to walk after me. "I'm talkin' at you, muthaf*cka! Who you laughin' at?"

I stopped and turned around, putting my left hand on the butt of my gun (it was set up for right handed crossdraw). "You take one more step towards me, and I'm gonna f*ck up your whole day, you understand?" He stopped suddenly, and glared at me.

"You ain't gonna do sh!t."

"Come closer and find out." He stood where he was, and wiped his palms on his thighs. "Keep your hands away from your pockets," I said.

"Alright." He put his hands at his sides.

"What the f*ck is your problem?"

"I ain't gotta problem," he muttered, staring at his shoes.

"I don't what the f*ck is wrong with you, and I don't care. I ain't your girl, and I ain't one of your homies you can talk sh!t to, because you act like some kind of f*cking tough guy with them. I don't know you from sh!t. You from around here?"

"Nah."

"Well, let me give you some advice. The next time you try this sh!t with someone, you better think about it, because the next dude might just shoot your stupid a$$ for actin' a fool. Now get the f*ck out of here."

"Alright." He shuffled back towards his car, and his girlfriend was smirking at him. "The f*ck you smilin' at, b!tch? Get in the f*ckin' car, already!" They both vanished into their red Honda Accord, and I called the police anyway, giving them a full description of both of them, and their car and license plate number. Then I went about shopping.

Does that answer your question?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The CC instructor in the OP is a bit limited in his imagination.

I can still count the negative comments on one hand from five years of OCing. None were testing me. That is to say, none were trying to get under my skin. They were just complaining about guns.

However, I have lost track of the number of positive comments I've received from total strangers regarding my OCd sidearm. I would guess somewhere in the vicinity of three dozen positive comments.

The CC instructor in the OP just tossed out his first reaction/thought apparently never considering you might get lots and lots of positive comments.

Probably has something to do with the fact that he's not imagining promoting self-defense by OCing.

09jisaac

But, when the day comes that [dark/morbid] humor becomes a cause for arrest/trial, then I'm sure such humor and the utterance of it will be the least of our concerns

Spending years in jail would probably never be the least of your concerns.

It is bad to kill someone, even over your own/loved one's safety. It is much worse to have to spend a large portion of the rest of your life behind bars for it.

I would suggest you editing your post (and asking KY to mirror it) to show your true intentions.

DrakeZ07

Spending years in jail would probably never be the least of your concerns.

It is bad to kill someone, even over your own/loved one's safety. It is much worse to have to spend a large portion of the rest of your life behind bars for it.

I would suggest you editing your post (and asking KY to mirror it) to show your true intentions.

Wait, I'm confused now.

I was meaning that if the use of our first amendment rights to speak a form of humour was ever to be the cause of arrest, as in the exercise of free speech became illegal, then the free exercise of free speech would be the leasto f our concerns, because if the First Amendment means nothing, then most, if not all of us on here, will have been jailed/put to death, for exercising our other rights. If the 1st amendment became illegal to use, then surely the 2nd, and 4th, and so on would also have been illegal along time ago, and we'd already have been thrown in jail for using our other amendments. And frankly, if I can't exercise my first amendment right, freely without risk of punishment, then I'd rather be put to death, or thrown in jail, because that's a time frame when everything we held dear has been destroyed.

Also, in general, I'm so confused on why I should edit my post, and ask the same of Glockster? what true intentions?

DrakeZ07

Damn, Drake....U scary...:eek: :lol:

Also; Is that a reference to the videos from The Onion News Network, about scary planet? or the family episode about scary nature? :p

Lets just say, I fit naturally in with October, it's the time of month I can use my normal method of 'joking' without causing alarm or making people think I went off the deep end. Ya know, Halloween and all.