Thread: Question about correlations...

Question about correlations...

I am curious. I have noted (anectdotely) that this forum for VA is more active than another states forum (2 of them). I wonder if there is a correlation between OC activity and the rights in a state. VA rights are good and there is an active attempt to improve them with some success. In the other states there is little forum activity and not much activity in regards to improving the rights of citizens in those states.

Is this a good theorem or is it just a load of XXXXXXXX? Any opinions by those more knowledgeable than myself?
    Last edited by nuc65; 10-04-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Not only do we have a good legal climate, but we have the independence of early Americans, and an indomitable spirit.

On top of that, we have a fantastic grass-roots organization (VCDL) that keeps us informed and involved.

And two OCDO founders who are Virginians.

And friends, who bring friends, who encourage friends, who bring friends

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Not only do we have a good legal climate, but we have the independence of early Americans, and an indomitable spirit.

On top of that, we have a fantastic grass-roots organization (VCDL) that keeps us informed and involved.

And two OCDO founders who are Virginians.

And friends, who bring friends, who encourage friends, who bring friends
    I think it's friends more than anything else Tess. There are three zones in OCDO activity. North of the Ni, Tidewater and Central Va. Many know each other in each zone and get information here.

In central Va:
    We have weekly breakfasts thanks to Grapeshot and Skidmark and monthly Dinners thanks to Lee, Joe, Dale and Paul.

If VCDL has had a meeting in Central Va this year, it's only been one or two, so obviously that isn't it even though many are members.

I expect NC will be picking up soon. They have a very active and aggressive group reminiscent of VCDL a number of years ago. OCDO will probably become the information highway for them also,

There are several states that have either their own OC organization or a general gun-rights organization with an active forum. There are also several states that are more "rigid" about staying focused on OC issues and not "tolerating" off- topic chatter.

As long as most folks are happy It seems their state forum is working for them.

Personally, I like and enjoy the give and take we have here.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I think that the Virginia section has its higher level of participation partly due to the fact that many of the people here actually know other members. Although its probably breaking some of the forum's rules by not remaining on topic, the friendship factor here appears (at least to me) to prevent members complaining that things are getting off topic. Therefore, this section becomes its own social club, old farts gathering place, mutual back slappers society, call it what you will. I'm not complaining about that, just observing, as I am as guilty as others of the behavior I've observed.

The frequent breakfasts and dinners in Virginia create opportunities to be able to put faces to screen names, and then real names to faces, all of which leads to better interaction online. I'm able to put names and faces to a number of people here, and they know me, they know my son, we're not just screen names on the internet. For instance where peter nap mentions "Lee, Joe, Dale and Paul" I know exactly who he is talking about, can put faces to each of them and screen names too.

I could be wrong, but that's what I think is partly responsible for the higher traffic in the VA section
    Last edited by scouser; 10-04-2012 at 03:08 PM.

All of the above and....

It is hard to have a alot to talk about in states where OC is not an option. Sorry, Florida and South Carolina among others.
    Last edited by The Wolfhound; 10-04-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I'm only here to drop the term CHP and get Peter Nap all in a tizzy!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Be careful....

At least some of his BFRs are capable of BBQ hand loads. You are likely within range.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    There are three zones in OCDO activity. North
    The NORTH Zone has group outings with Mid Atlantic Firearms and F3 tactical, weekly breakfasts on Sunday at the Coney Island Diner in Ashburn at 9AM, We have a dinner or two a month (next one is on 10/16 with a reporter from France doing a story on Open Carry in the USA), we set up a gun rights table at many public events and open houses, and we pick up litter four times per year.

Mid Atlantic Shooting and Firearms at F3

Sunday Breakfast

OC Dinner

Gun Rights Table

Litter Pick-up
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

how did i miss these hotdog meet and greets? i may have to head over to the next one!

i'm bummed i missed the MASF meet up, was busy riding the mountain bike in the hated state of MD.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by cptstoney View Post
    how did i miss these hotdog meet and greets?
    Some stuff I cross post here, but most of it is on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/virginiaopencarry
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Some stuff I cross post here, but most of it is on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/virginiaopencarry
    sweet another group to join! I don't know how I get any work done!

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    The NORTH Zone has group outings with Mid Atlantic Firearms and F3 tactical, weekly breakfasts on Sunday at the Coney Island Diner in Ashburn at 9AM, We have a dinner or two a month (next one is on 10/16 with a reporter from France doing a story on Open Carry in the USA), we set up a gun rights table at many public events and open houses, and we pick up litter four times per year.

Mid Atlantic Shooting and Firearms at F3

Sunday Breakfast

OC Dinner

Gun Rights Table

Litter Pick-up
    But, of course, none of that counts because we're "north of the Ni," which makes all of us posers, wannabes and dress-ups...

Which is what a lot of others in other places do. Some of us just hate FacePage/MyBook, I hate social media, and some just don't care that communicating off/outside OCDO fractionalizes a national search destination.

all of this will be important on the day that I wake up and find a note pinned to my pillow telling me I have been elected King of the Whole Block.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Which is what a lot of others in other places do. Some of us just hate FacePage/MyBook, I hate social media, and some just don't care that communicating off/outside OCDO fractionalizes a national search destination.

all of this will be important on the day that I wake up and find a note pinned to my pillow telling me I have been elected King of the Whole Block.

stay safe.
    I'm pretty sure that a public message bulletin board forum like this is a version of "social media"... Just sayin'...

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I'm pretty sure that a public message bulletin board forum like this is a version of "social media"... Just sayin'...

TFred
    quiet Skid ain't susposed to know that.

if i understand the OP. i too have often wondered about the correlation between how much gun rights a state has and how much is posted from that state.

good example ifs NY. i don't really hear much from them and now CA since they can't carry anymore. not much from IL ether

but you hear more from say VA , WA, MN, NC and so on

is the correlation is that the louder the citizen the better the rights are in that state?
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    if i understand the OP. i too have often wondered about the correlation between how much gun rights a state has and how much is posted from that state.

good example ifs NY. i don't really hear much from them and now CA since they can't carry anymore. not much from IL ether

but you hear more from say VA , WA, MN, NC and so on

is the correlation is that the louder the citizen the better the rights are in that state?
    I think enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm + a very dedicated, hardworking and well organized grass roots group like VCDL has obvious benefit. Don't see any one thing as being the stand alone element. It is a sum total of the parts.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

If nothing else, Virginia's forum is consistently active. Over the years I have seen big surges in activity in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and to a lesser extent Michigan. But after whatever issue caused the spike in activity is resolved, dies down, or goes into hibernation (e.g. the Dickson Dozen) their activity drops considerably. IMHO, the other states that approximate VA's steady activity are Washington and Ohio. Obviously folks in NY, IL, CA, HI, FL, and TX don't have any OCing to talk about, and in VT (my home state) there are so few people, so little crime, and so few gun laws that there isn't much to remark on.
    Last edited by Eeyore; 10-05-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I think enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm + a very dedicated, hardworking and well organized grass roots group like VCDL has obvious benefit. Don't see any one thing as being the stand alone element. It is a sum total of the parts.
    I think this is the key factor.

Many OCDO members in VA are also VCDL members. OCDO was started by VCDL EM's. OCDO's earliest members were VCDLers. I found out about OCDO from some VCDL members.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.