• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about correlations...

nuc65

Activist Member
I am curious. I have noted (anectdotely) that this forum for VA is more active than another states forum (2 of them). I wonder if there is a correlation between OC activity and the rights in a state. VA rights are good and there is an active attempt to improve them with some success. In the other states there is little forum activity and not much activity in regards to improving the rights of citizens in those states.

Is this a good theorem or is it just a load of XXXXXXXX? Any opinions by those more knowledgeable than myself?

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Not only do we have a good legal climate, but we have the independence of early Americans, and an indomitable spirit.

On top of that, we have a fantastic grass-roots organization (VCDL) that keeps us informed and involved.

And two OCDO founders who are Virginians.

And friends, who bring friends, who encourage friends, who bring friends :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not only do we have a good legal climate, but we have the independence of early Americans, and an indomitable spirit.

On top of that, we have a fantastic grass-roots organization (VCDL) that keeps us informed and involved.

And two OCDO founders who are Virginians.

And friends, who bring friends, who encourage friends, who bring friends :)

I think it's friends more than anything else Tess. There are three zones in OCDO activity. North of the Ni, Tidewater and Central Va. Many know each other in each zone and get information here.

In central Va:
We have weekly breakfasts thanks to Grapeshot and Skidmark and monthly Dinners thanks to Lee, Joe, Dale and Paul.

If VCDL has had a meeting in Central Va this year, it's only been one or two, so obviously that isn't it even though many are members.

I expect NC will be picking up soon. They have a very active and aggressive group reminiscent of VCDL a number of years ago. OCDO will probably become the information highway for them also,

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There are several states that have either their own OC organization or a general gun-rights organization with an active forum. There are also several states that are more "rigid" about staying focused on OC issues and not "tolerating" off- topic chatter.

As long as most folks are happy It seems their state forum is working for them.

Personally, I like and enjoy the give and take we have here.

stay safe.

scouser

I think that the Virginia section has its higher level of participation partly due to the fact that many of the people here actually know other members. Although its probably breaking some of the forum's rules by not remaining on topic, the friendship factor here appears (at least to me) to prevent members complaining that things are getting off topic. Therefore, this section becomes its own social club, old farts gathering place, mutual back slappers society, call it what you will. I'm not complaining about that, just observing, as I am as guilty as others of the behavior I've observed.

The frequent breakfasts and dinners in Virginia create opportunities to be able to put faces to screen names, and then real names to faces, all of which leads to better interaction online. I'm able to put names and faces to a number of people here, and they know me, they know my son, we're not just screen names on the internet. For instance where peter nap mentions "Lee, Joe, Dale and Paul" I know exactly who he is talking about, can put faces to each of them and screen names too.

I could be wrong, but that's what I think is partly responsible for the higher traffic in the VA section

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

All of the above and....

It is hard to have a alot to talk about in states where OC is not an option. Sorry, Florida and South Carolina among others.

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
There are three zones in OCDO activity. North

The NORTH Zone has group outings with Mid Atlantic Firearms and F3 tactical, weekly breakfasts on Sunday at the Coney Island Diner in Ashburn at 9AM, We have a dinner or two a month (next one is on 10/16 with a reporter from France doing a story on Open Carry in the USA), we set up a gun rights table at many public events and open houses, and we pick up litter four times per year.

Mid Atlantic Shooting and Firearms at F3
601486_264942720275992_1735855092_n.jpg

Sunday Breakfast
403295_10150646437388868_504802293_n.jpg

OC Dinner
526085_392219054161517_1918439399_n.jpg

Gun Rights Table
533350_398311540218935_2118184452_n.jpg

Litter Pick-up
292905_422236681159754_859308582_n.jpg

cptstoney

how did i miss these hotdog meet and greets? i may have to head over to the next one!

i'm bummed i missed the MASF meet up, was busy riding the mountain bike in the hated state of MD.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
The NORTH Zone has group outings with Mid Atlantic Firearms and F3 tactical, weekly breakfasts on Sunday at the Coney Island Diner in Ashburn at 9AM, We have a dinner or two a month (next one is on 10/16 with a reporter from France doing a story on Open Carry in the USA), we set up a gun rights table at many public events and open houses, and we pick up litter four times per year.

Mid Atlantic Shooting and Firearms at F3
601486_264942720275992_1735855092_n.jpg

Sunday Breakfast
403295_10150646437388868_504802293_n.jpg

OC Dinner
526085_392219054161517_1918439399_n.jpg

Gun Rights Table
533350_398311540218935_2118184452_n.jpg

Litter Pick-up
292905_422236681159754_859308582_n.jpg
But, of course, none of that counts because we're "north of the Ni," which makes all of us posers, wannabes and dress-ups...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Some stuff I cross post here, but most of it is on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/virginiaopencarry

Which is what a lot of others in other places do. Some of us just hate FacePage/MyBook, I hate social media, and some just don't care that communicating off/outside OCDO fractionalizes a national search destination.

all of this will be important on the day that I wake up and find a note pinned to my pillow telling me I have been elected King of the Whole Block.

stay safe.

TFred

Which is what a lot of others in other places do. Some of us just hate FacePage/MyBook, I hate social media, and some just don't care that communicating off/outside OCDO fractionalizes a national search destination.

all of this will be important on the day that I wake up and find a note pinned to my pillow telling me I have been elected King of the Whole Block.

stay safe.
I'm pretty sure that a public message bulletin board forum like this is a version of "social media"... Just sayin'... ;)

TFred

papa bear

if i understand the OP. i too have often wondered about the correlation between how much gun rights a state has and how much is posted from that state.

good example ifs NY. i don't really hear much from them and now CA since they can't carry anymore. not much from IL ether

but you hear more from say VA , WA, MN, NC and so on

is the correlation is that the louder the citizen the better the rights are in that state?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
if i understand the OP. i too have often wondered about the correlation between how much gun rights a state has and how much is posted from that state.

good example ifs NY. i don't really hear much from them and now CA since they can't carry anymore. not much from IL ether

but you hear more from say VA , WA, MN, NC and so on

is the correlation is that the louder the citizen the better the rights are in that state?

I think enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm + a very dedicated, hardworking and well organized grass roots group like VCDL has obvious benefit. Don't see any one thing as being the stand alone element. It is a sum total of the parts.

Eeyore

If nothing else, Virginia's forum is consistently active. Over the years I have seen big surges in activity in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and to a lesser extent Michigan. But after whatever issue caused the spike in activity is resolved, dies down, or goes into hibernation (e.g. the Dickson Dozen) their activity drops considerably. IMHO, the other states that approximate VA's steady activity are Washington and Ohio. Obviously folks in NY, IL, CA, HI, FL, and TX don't have any OCing to talk about, and in VT (my home state) there are so few people, so little crime, and so few gun laws that there isn't much to remark on.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm + a very dedicated, hardworking and well organized grass roots group like VCDL has obvious benefit. Don't see any one thing as being the stand alone element. It is a sum total of the parts.

I think this is the key factor.

Many OCDO members in VA are also VCDL members. OCDO was started by VCDL EM's. OCDO's earliest members were VCDLers. I found out about OCDO from some VCDL members.