• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder holster for pregnant woman?

Vitaeus

Wife normally open carries a Sig P226 in a Serpa CQC, wearing a belt is becoming uncomfortable and we are looking at getting her a shoulder holster that does not use a belt for support/stability what are some brands/styles folks would recommend so when we go to the store to shop we have a starting point?

carsontech

Activist Member
My wife, PistolPackingMomma on here, is pregnant again. She's been open carrying her 1911 in a Galco Jackass shoulder holster attached to a Bianchi X15H (harness).

It conceals well with a decent cover garment too.

Maybe she'll have a chance to get on here and give a review of it in the next few days.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

My wife, PistolPackingMomma on here, is pregnant again. She's been open carrying her 1911 in a Galco Jackass shoulder holster attached to a Bianchi X15H (harness).

Maybe she'll have a chance to get on here and give a review of it in the next few days.

That would be a great help to several folks. I have a young friend whose very lovely bride is also pregnant and trying to find a comfortable way to carry. I would love to be able to pass on the information to them.

Two of the blessings of growing old: Don't have kids underfoot and don't have to worry about the wife getting pregnant!!:lol:

jayspapa

I would be curious as to why she is using the Bianchi X-15 harness with Galco holster. I have used both and to me the Galco harness is much more comfortable. I am using a Galco harness with the X-15 holster attached ( vertical ) so as not to muzzle anyone . Not something I have to worry about in this state as of yet.

Malcolm

Vertical or horizontal?

I've just ordered a custom shoulder holster and will be doing a review on it when it arrives. It should be in around Christmas, hopefully the review will be done around the new year.

maybe a galco classic lite. I haven't heard any complaints.

One thing I never liked with the horizontal shoulder rigs is being in the car with my step kids. I never kept a round in the chamber as my step son was sitting behind me. It wasn't the pistol I was necessarily worried about as much as a car accident or something along those lines. If you're kids are sitting behind you, horizontal might not be the way to go. Also, the wife's belly size, as a vertical rig could be too difficult to reach should she have to. Maybe a smaller pistol/compression shirt combo would be a comfortable and convenient way to go.

Another point, if she doesn't want that bad boy tied down to her belt and she's rocking a full size piece, there's the fact that the pistol could be bouncing off the tummy the whole day, which would suck. I'd hate to drop $200 to find that out.

Anyway, best of luck in your purchase and I hope she finds something that works.

MagiK_SacK

Wife normally open carries a Sig P226 in a Serpa CQC, wearing a belt is becoming uncomfortable and we are looking at getting her a shoulder holster that does not use a belt for support/stability what are some brands/styles folks would recommend so when we go to the store to shop we have a starting point?

My wife didn't carry much while pregnant for the same reason. If she had her CHP she would have looked into one of these --> http://flashbangholster.com/ If your wife has a CHP, CCW, or what ever it may be called where you are at, than this might be a good fit. I know its not an OC holster but its an option. They have a video of a woman who is pregnant wearing the holster and she says it is comfortable so you might give that a shot.

PistolPackingMomma

I would be curious as to why she is using the Bianchi X-15 harness with Galco holster. I have used both and to me the Galco harness is much more comfortable. I am using a Galco harness with the X-15 holster attached ( vertical ) so as not to muzzle anyone . Not something I have to worry about in this state as of yet.

Partially because of cost ($80 for this setup versus $150 for most others on the market) and partially because the other rigs we were looking at had some "excess" I didn't want to have to try and conceal. Having mag holders flapping loose at my weak side didn't appeal to me, and any rig with a belt loop or belt clip gets rather irritating to deal with when you consider how frequently pregnant women need to visit the facilities.

One of the appealing factors of the Bianchi X-15 rig is that since it does not depend on being secured to my waist, I can wear dresses and still shoulder carry. Plus, most maternity pants have very stretchy material starting at the hips and generally covers the entire belly. It's not exactly a stable material to secure a holster to.

I did initially want a vertical holster, but the only ones we could find for my gun (Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry II) were the long kind that secured to the belt strong side. As it is, a horizontal draw is easier for me to access, since I have to reach across my belly. This is only speculation, as I haven't practiced with a vertical draw, but I imagine trying to draw vertically from an loose (unsecured) shoulder holster would probably bring the holster with the gun, at least for a few inches. With the horizontal draw, I just grab and pull forward.
There is the issue of muzzling, but guns do not generally go off by themselves, and the trigger guard is covered, so it's not possible for me to shoot while it's engaged in the holster. So, to me, the muzzling issue here is not the same as muzzling someone while the gun is in hand.

I will go set up my camera and try to get some pics for y'all.

Done. Hope this helps!

Last edited: