Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: 'Shootout" At The OK Quarry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213

    'Shootout" At The OK Quarry

    I have tried to write on this topic 3 times but the site can't process the info. Will keep it short.

    Met with local gun enthusiasts at a quarry on private land. Had .22 handguns and revolvers, 380s, 44mag and an AK47. Targets were set at 40 0r 50 ft and 20ft consisting of balloons, golfballs, base ball, metal rotating discs, 6'concentric ring targets, 1",3" and 3.5" sticky red circular targets. Did well with Browning 22 ACP. Got shots on all red targets and kept hitting the rotating discs at 50ft. With the 44, missed the 6" targets. eventually fot the plywood it was stuck on. With the AK47, not much aiming needed at 50ft. Blew away the plywood!. Shoulder was sore bec AK butt was metal. We all (8) shot for 3 hrs straight. Had fun. Will meet again this month!! Can't wait bec one guy has 60 handguns. Been collecting for 40 yrs. Will be bringing different ones next time. Need to shoot that 44 again and try to get the targets! Too much recoil.
    Last edited by Law abider; 10-04-2012 at 04:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    And you didn't invite us why?

  3. #3
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497
    Sounds like a great time. I wish I was not so far from you.

    I do have to ask, what is a 22 ACP? I'm guessing it was a .22LR?

    I love .44Mag, but it did take me some time to get "ok" with it...

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    Sounds like a great time. I wish I was not so far from you.

    I do have to ask, what is a 22 ACP? I'm guessing it was a .22LR?

    I love .44Mag, but it did take me some time to get "ok" with it...
    I was trying to describe a gun in my own words. Has a clip and ejects the empty shell like an ACP.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    And you didn't invite us why?
    It was a last minute call. I'll post the next time. WE will be meeting this month. I don't think you would want to come from Steven's Point would you?

  6. #6
    Regular Member Old Grump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Blue River, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    387
    Any trigger time is good when you are really working the program and even better with friends. Didn't have 3 hours like you did because after 2 weeks of bad back, flu and bad weather I was finally able to get out and shoot a couple of days ago Shot 8 different revolvers but was working on just shoot and draw at 15 yards. 15 mph winds but it was 71 degrees, a welcome change after the cold rains and frosty weather. Here are 3 of mine:



    Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
    Any trigger time is good when you are really working the program and even better with friends. Didn't have 3 hours like you did because after 2 weeks of bad back, flu and bad weather I was finally able to get out and shoot a couple of days ago Shot 8 different revolvers but was working on just shoot and draw at 15 yards. 15 mph winds but it was 71 degrees, a welcome change after the cold rains and frosty weather. Here are 3 of mine:



    Wow , with that wind blowing and with appropriate compensation, on target every time!! What a gun collection. Now with a 22 I was able to do that. With 38 ammo I am now able to get it on the target but still need to practice at 40 feet, however with the 357 I have to cut the distance by 1/2. What is the key to counteract the recoil with 357 ammo?
    Next time when you feel you are about to get the flu, take a dose or two of Emergency a soluable vitamic C and a good cup of hot camomile and ginger tea.

  8. #8
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    Wow , with that wind blowing and with appropriate compensation, on target every time!! What a gun collection. Now with a 22 I was able to do that. With 38 ammo I am now able to get it on the target but still need to practice at 40 feet, however with the 357 I have to cut the distance by 1/2. What is the key to counteract the recoil with 357 ammo?
    My experience with students transitioning to higher caliber handguns with more recoil is that they unconsciously surrender hold control in anticipation of the shot and the shot places high and to the right. There could also be a bit of a trigger jerk that is again an unconscious thing. To diagnose your problem, I recommend "ball and dummy". Get some snap caps of the caliber you are having trouble with and have somebody who knows a thing or two about firearms instruction watch what happens when you "fire" the dummy. My bet is the barrel will move up and right.

    The next time I am in Wisconsin, I will be happy to work with you on this.

    Yellow Cat Out -
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    My experience with students transitioning to higher caliber handguns with more recoil is that they unconsciously surrender hold control in anticipation of the shot and the shot places high and to the right. There could also be a bit of a trigger jerk that is again an unconscious thing. To diagnose your problem, I recommend "ball and dummy". Get some snap caps of the caliber you are having trouble with and have somebody who knows a thing or two about firearms instruction watch what happens when you "fire" the dummy. My bet is the barrel will move up and right.

    The next time I am in Wisconsin, I will be happy to work with you on this.

    Yellow Cat Out -
    Yes. Somehow in anticipation of the s357 ammo discharging, my reflexes change as opposed to shooting 38sp. Yes the trigger on the german revolver is quite strong. That is why I cock it to fire.
    You are welcome to stop by. I am south of I94 between Hudson and Baldwin.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Old Grump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Blue River, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    Yes. Somehow in anticipation of the s357 ammo discharging, my reflexes change as opposed to shooting 38sp. Yes the trigger on the german revolver is quite strong. That is why I cock it to fire.
    You are welcome to stop by. I am south of I94 between Hudson and Baldwin.
    When you get down to the little hut that's one of the things we would be working on. It isn't magic just plain old fundamentals and tedious repetition till it is part of your muscle memory and not part of a conscious effort. You will also learn if we are having a windy day when you are here, (likely), you will find that the wind effect is mostly between the ears. At short distances under a hundred yards with these calibers no physical correction for wind is necessary. You will see it in competition where most shooters who only practice in nice shirt sleeve weather go to pieces when it gets windy or starts to rain but the hard core shooters who practice in hot, cold, wind and wet will just continue to shoot pretty much the same scores as they do on bluebird days.
    Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

  11. #11
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
    When you get down to the little hut that's one of the things we would be working on. It isn't magic just plain old fundamentals and tedious repetition till it is part of your muscle memory and not part of a conscious effort. You will also learn if we are having a windy day when you are here, (likely), you will find that the wind effect is mostly between the ears. At short distances under a hundred yards with these calibers no physical correction for wind is necessary. You will see it in competition where most shooters who only practice in nice shirt sleeve weather go to pieces when it gets windy or starts to rain but the hard core shooters who practice in hot, cold, wind and wet will just continue to shoot pretty much the same scores as they do on bluebird days.
    Do you have a good recipe for breast of Bluebird ??? The flocks around here are huge, and their constant happy singing interrupts the normal peace & quiet...
    Last edited by Lurchiron; 11-01-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurchiron View Post
    Do you have a good recipe for breast of Bluebird ??? The flocks around here are huge, and their constant happy singing interrupts the normal peace & quiet...
    DON'T DO IT!

    http://www.fws.gov/news/historic/1941/19410606.pdf Violates Federal law and can land you in prison.

    I'll let you look up the laws against shooting buzzards/vultures, and the ones against shooting raptors of any kind.

    There are programs to abate nuisance songbirds and migratory birds, but you need to follow all the rules and regs.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    ... Did well with Browning 22 ACP...
    My guess is the new Browning 1911-22 in .22 Long Rifle. 85% scale of the .45 ACP model:

    http://www.browning.com/products/cat...28B&catalog_=B
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  14. #14
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    DON'T DO IT!

    http://www.fws.gov/news/historic/1941/19410606.pdf Violates Federal law and can land you in prison.

    I'll let you look up the laws against shooting buzzards/vultures, and the ones against shooting raptors of any kind.

    There are programs to abate nuisance songbirds and migratory birds, but you need to follow all the rules and regs.

    stay safe.

    Just Kidding...actually haven't seen a bluebird up around these parts in a coon's age; perhaps someone further south of Wisconsin finds them tasty.
    Attachment 9487Git-R-Ate...
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  15. #15
    Regular Member Old Grump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Blue River, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurchiron View Post
    Just Kidding...actually haven't seen a bluebird up around these parts in a coon's age; perhaps someone further south of Wisconsin finds them tasty.
    Attachment 9487Git-R-Ate...
    I'm guessing you have nothing in your bag of silliness about shooting or improving your shooting or helping other people improve theirs do you? Troll over on the kiddy sites.
    Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

  16. #16
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
    I'm guessing you have nothing in your bag of silliness about shooting or improving your shooting or helping other people improve theirs do you? Troll over on the kiddy sites.

    Awwww...did someone reach into the fridge; and find that their Geritol curdled again???
    Attachment 9502
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  17. #17
    Regular Member Old Grump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Blue River, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurchiron View Post
    Awwww...did someone reach into the fridge; and find that their Geritol curdled again???
    Attachment 9502
    That the best you can do?
    Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

  18. #18
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
    That the best you can do?

    Keep 'er in da 10 ring; and slow down on da Viagra...
    Attachment 9562
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •