• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Shootout" At The OK Quarry

Law abider

I have tried to write on this topic 3 times but the site can't process the info. Will keep it short.

Met with local gun enthusiasts at a quarry on private land. Had .22 handguns and revolvers, 380s, 44mag and an AK47. Targets were set at 40 0r 50 ft and 20ft consisting of balloons, golfballs, base ball, metal rotating discs, 6'concentric ring targets, 1",3" and 3.5" sticky red circular targets. Did well with Browning 22 ACP. Got shots on all red targets and kept hitting the rotating discs at 50ft. With the 44, missed the 6" targets. eventually fot the plywood it was stuck on. With the AK47, not much aiming needed at 50ft. Blew away the plywood!. Shoulder was sore bec AK butt was metal. We all (8) shot for 3 hrs straight. Had fun. Will meet again this month!! Can't wait bec one guy has 60 handguns. Been collecting for 40 yrs. Will be bringing different ones next time. Need to shoot that 44 again and try to get the targets! Too much recoil.

Last edited:

AaronS

Sounds like a great time. I wish I was not so far from you.

I do have to ask, what is a 22 ACP? I'm guessing it was a .22LR?

I love .44Mag, but it did take me some time to get "ok" with it...

Law abider

Sounds like a great time. I wish I was not so far from you.

I do have to ask, what is a 22 ACP? I'm guessing it was a .22LR?

I love .44Mag, but it did take me some time to get "ok" with it...

I was trying to describe a gun in my own words. Has a clip and ejects the empty shell like an ACP.

Old Grump

Any trigger time is good when you are really working the program and even better with friends. Didn't have 3 hours like you did because after 2 weeks of bad back, flu and bad weather I was finally able to get out and shoot a couple of days ago Shot 8 different revolvers but was working on just shoot and draw at 15 yards. 15 mph winds but it was 71 degrees, a welcome change after the cold rains and frosty weather. Here are 3 of mine:

Law abider

Any trigger time is good when you are really working the program and even better with friends. Didn't have 3 hours like you did because after 2 weeks of bad back, flu and bad weather I was finally able to get out and shoot a couple of days ago Shot 8 different revolvers but was working on just shoot and draw at 15 yards. 15 mph winds but it was 71 degrees, a welcome change after the cold rains and frosty weather. Here are 3 of mine:

Wow , with that wind blowing and with appropriate compensation, on target every time!! What a gun collection. Now with a 22 I was able to do that. With 38 ammo I am now able to get it on the target but still need to practice at 40 feet, however with the 357 I have to cut the distance by 1/2. What is the key to counteract the recoil with 357 ammo?
Next time when you feel you are about to get the flu, take a dose or two of Emergency a soluable vitamic C and a good cup of hot camomile and ginger tea.

jpm84092

Wow , with that wind blowing and with appropriate compensation, on target every time!! What a gun collection. Now with a 22 I was able to do that. With 38 ammo I am now able to get it on the target but still need to practice at 40 feet, however with the 357 I have to cut the distance by 1/2. What is the key to counteract the recoil with 357 ammo?

My experience with students transitioning to higher caliber handguns with more recoil is that they unconsciously surrender hold control in anticipation of the shot and the shot places high and to the right. There could also be a bit of a trigger jerk that is again an unconscious thing. To diagnose your problem, I recommend "ball and dummy". Get some snap caps of the caliber you are having trouble with and have somebody who knows a thing or two about firearms instruction watch what happens when you "fire" the dummy. My bet is the barrel will move up and right.

The next time I am in Wisconsin, I will be happy to work with you on this.

Yellow Cat Out -

Law abider

My experience with students transitioning to higher caliber handguns with more recoil is that they unconsciously surrender hold control in anticipation of the shot and the shot places high and to the right. There could also be a bit of a trigger jerk that is again an unconscious thing. To diagnose your problem, I recommend "ball and dummy". Get some snap caps of the caliber you are having trouble with and have somebody who knows a thing or two about firearms instruction watch what happens when you "fire" the dummy. My bet is the barrel will move up and right.

The next time I am in Wisconsin, I will be happy to work with you on this.

Yellow Cat Out -

Yes. Somehow in anticipation of the s357 ammo discharging, my reflexes change as opposed to shooting 38sp. Yes the trigger on the german revolver is quite strong. That is why I cock it to fire.
You are welcome to stop by. I am south of I94 between Hudson and Baldwin.

Old Grump

Yes. Somehow in anticipation of the s357 ammo discharging, my reflexes change as opposed to shooting 38sp. Yes the trigger on the german revolver is quite strong. That is why I cock it to fire.
You are welcome to stop by. I am south of I94 between Hudson and Baldwin.

When you get down to the little hut that's one of the things we would be working on. It isn't magic just plain old fundamentals and tedious repetition till it is part of your muscle memory and not part of a conscious effort. You will also learn if we are having a windy day when you are here, (likely), you will find that the wind effect is mostly between the ears. At short distances under a hundred yards with these calibers no physical correction for wind is necessary. You will see it in competition where most shooters who only practice in nice shirt sleeve weather go to pieces when it gets windy or starts to rain but the hard core shooters who practice in hot, cold, wind and wet will just continue to shoot pretty much the same scores as they do on bluebird days.

Lurchiron

When you get down to the little hut that's one of the things we would be working on. It isn't magic just plain old fundamentals and tedious repetition till it is part of your muscle memory and not part of a conscious effort. You will also learn if we are having a windy day when you are here, (likely), you will find that the wind effect is mostly between the ears. At short distances under a hundred yards with these calibers no physical correction for wind is necessary. You will see it in competition where most shooters who only practice in nice shirt sleeve weather go to pieces when it gets windy or starts to rain but the hard core shooters who practice in hot, cold, wind and wet will just continue to shoot pretty much the same scores as they do on bluebird days.

Do you have a good recipe for breast of Bluebird ??? The flocks around here are huge, and their constant happy singing interrupts the normal peace & quiet... ;)

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do you have a good recipe for breast of Bluebird ??? The flocks around here are huge, and their constant happy singing interrupts the normal peace & quiet... ;)

DON'T DO IT!

http://www.fws.gov/news/historic/1941/19410606.pdf Violates Federal law and can land you in prison.

I'll let you look up the laws against shooting buzzards/vultures, and the ones against shooting raptors of any kind.

There are programs to abate nuisance songbirds and migratory birds, but you need to follow all the rules and regs.

stay safe.

Lurchiron

DON'T DO IT!

http://www.fws.gov/news/historic/1941/19410606.pdf Violates Federal law and can land you in prison.

I'll let you look up the laws against shooting buzzards/vultures, and the ones against shooting raptors of any kind.

There are programs to abate nuisance songbirds and migratory birds, but you need to follow all the rules and regs.

stay safe.

:eek:Just Kidding:cool:...actually haven't seen a bluebird up around these parts in a coon's age; perhaps someone further south of Wisconsin finds them tasty.
View attachment 9487Git-R-Ate...

Old Grump

:eek:Just Kidding:cool:...actually haven't seen a bluebird up around these parts in a coon's age; perhaps someone further south of Wisconsin finds them tasty.
View attachment 9487Git-R-Ate...

I'm guessing you have nothing in your bag of silliness about shooting or improving your shooting or helping other people improve theirs do you? Troll over on the kiddy sites.