• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knife carry

PackinXD40

Since ill be moving there in march (whidbey Island) I'm just getting a head start on the laws out that way. I've searched around and found some information on it, but I'm still a little unclear. I can carry a knife with a blade shorter than 3 1/2in and it will be alright, but can i carry a survival knife with a 7in blade in its sheath hanging from my belt?

PackinXD40

its a defensive weapon i carry, it has laws just as my guns do, so i say yes, i believe it is relevant to this site. So why not go to the site i believe will give me the best information.

Last edited:

DamonK

Is he going to open carry the knife? Then yes.

Actually, seeing as how we can't talk about carrying long guns... we discuss topics pertaining to open carry of handguns specifically. I personally wouldn't carry a knife openly on a regular basis. But, that is my own personal feeling on what I would want to do. As long as you know the laws, it's your right to do as you please. It is still a relatively free country after all.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Vitaeus

Knives don't have preemption so what is legal in one jurisdiction may be illegal in another and I believe many municipalities have ordinances prohibiting various types and lengths, personal research is required. Me I would rather carry a handgun, the laws are actually easier to determine.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Knives get into a weird area for laws. Some areas have restrictions, others don't. I know Seattle considers knives over 3.5inches or fixed blades "dangerous knives" which it prohibits. Port Orchard, where I am, has copied the "Dangerous Knives" definition, but puts no restrictions on carrying the "Dangerous Knives"... So you'll just have to scour the laws of any areas you plan on going to.

amlevin

How many of the municipal laws regarding the carry of dangerous weapons merely restrict the concealing of these weapons on one's person.

I've always had the same question. Is it legal for me to carry my 7-1/2" K-Bar openly?. Right there on my belt along with my pistol and spare ammo? Wonder which weapon is considered more "dangerous"? My pistol or my knife?

sudden valley gunner

How many of the municipal laws regarding the carry of dangerous weapons merely restrict the concealing of these weapons on one's person.

I've always had the same question. Is it legal for me to carry my 7-1/2" K-Bar openly?. Right there on my belt along with my pistol and spare ammo? Wonder which weapon is considered more "dangerous"? My pistol or my knife?

Inanimate objects one is not more dangerous than the other.;) Although some hoplophobes may consider one more "dangerous". It is up to us to educate them.

Last edited:

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
It's been said above, but bears clarification: Seattle prohibts the carrying of a fixed blade knife OF ANY LENGTH. Since pre-emption to the state level only applies to guns, municipalities can make any law they wish WRT knives.

Washington issues a Concealed Pistol License, so with or without a permit, it doesn't apply to knives.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I really need to finish that book I started on this subject....

FYI - most cities just follow state law, some have created their own codes.

Woodinville, Wenatche & Kennewick - one cannot carry a knife into a bar...

Knife Laws in Washington
RCW 9.41.250 -Dangerous Weapons
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250
(1) Every person who:
(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;
(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or
(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm (July 2011 law changed for suppressors)
is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

RCW 9.41.270 - Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.270

All Washington City Codes:
http://www.mrsc.org/Codes.aspx

State/City - Law Chapter - Legal Yes/No Folder Length - Wording edited to fit.

Washington - 9.41.250 9.41.270 - Yes None - See State Law. No Blade Length defined in WA Law.

Bainbridge Island - 9.10.040 Y < 3" - Carry any knife, sword, dagger or other cutting or stabbing instrument, with a blade of a length of three inches or more

Camas - 9.28.065 - Yes 3.5" - knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches in length

Cheny - 9A.07.020 - Yes ? - carry concealed upon his person any knife (other than an ordinary pocket knife)

Edmonds - 5.24.012 - Y <3.5" knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches

Ephrata - 9.22.020 - Y <4" with a blade of a length of four or more inches

Everett - 10.78.010 - Y <3" - Dangerous knife” means any knife having a blade more than three inches in length

Federal Way - 6-138 - Y <3" - knife, sword, dagger or other cutting or stabbing instrument, with a blade of a length of three inches or more

Lake Forest Park - 9.06.020 - Y ? - Weapons prohibited in the municipal courtroom with a blade length of three or longer.

Lynnwood - 10.52.020 - Y <3.5" - knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches

New Castle - 9.05.710 - premises where alcoholic beverages are dispensed a Knife with a blade, of a length of three inches or more

Normandy Park - 7.24.040 - carry or conceal any dagger, dirk, knife or other dangerous weapon

Sultan - 9.32.020 - Y <4" -having a blade longer than the length of four or more inches,

Seattle - 12A.14.010 - Y 3.5" - Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than (3 1/2") in length

Woodinville - 9.03.110 - Weapons prohibited on liquor sale premises any knife with a blade of a length of three inches or more

Freedom1Man

Seattle
D. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a
blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the
handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife,
hatchet, axe, straight-edged razor, or razor blade not in a package,
dispenser or shaving appliance.

AN ORDINANCE related to the criminal code; amending Title 12A of the Seattle Municipal Code (Seattle Criminal Code) by amending 12A.14.080 relating to unlawful use of weapons making it unlawful to carry concealed or unconcealed on the person, any dangerous knife; and amending 12A.14.100 to except the carrying of knives for specific occupational use or use related to fishing or hunting, including education and travel related thereto, and further amending 12A.14.010 to redefine "dangerous knife" to include all "fixed-blade" knives regardless of length.

SMC 12A.14.080 Unlawful use of weapons.

It is unlawful for a person knowingly to:
B. Carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any dangerous knife,
or carry concealed on his or her person any deadly weapon other than a
firearm; or

My comments are that this last law seems to be a clear violation of the state constitution.